Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 How to pronounce Aum correctly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

garlic

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  10:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit garlic's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For Kriya Yoga, do you pronounce Aum as Ooooonnnnggggg or do you prounce it as Oooooommmm.

Which way is correct?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! =)

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to pronounce it more like "AAAAHHHHWWWWWWOUUUUUMMMMM"
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  11:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by garlic

For Kriya Yoga, do you pronounce Aum as Ooooonnnnggggg or do you prounce it as Oooooommmm.

Which way is correct?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! =)

The first part of the sound is what naturally emanates from your throat and mouth when you allow it to naturally rest open, which sounds like:

Uhhhh

In Sanskrit, this is represented by the first letter of the Sanskrit alphabet, the short A, pronounced like the "u" in the English words pup or stuck.

The second part of the sound is the natural modification of the sound which happens as you gently and slowly bring your mouth closed, which sounds like:

Ooooo

In Sanskrit, this is represented by the long U, pronounced like the "oo" in the English words room or boom.

The third part of the sound is the natural modification of the sound which happens as you complete the closing of your mouth, without sustaining that sound in any way (it represents closure, completion).

This sound is a special and powerful nasalized "M" sound (pronounced as "Ng" in certain traditions) - it is known as the Bindu, and sounds like:

M

.... and you'll notice, as you practice, though it may take a bit of practice for non-native Indian language-speakers (such as most of us here! ) ... that as you close your mouth, your tongue naturally curls up ... pointing toward the roof of your mouth, at least a little.

This naturally provides the nasalization.

The nasalization is yogically helpful, energy-wise ... (as is AUM, overall) ... the last sound provides a single, powerful vibration of energy up into the upper chakras of the head.

And so, the entire pronounciation, with a relaxed, open throat, mouth and mind, sounds approximately like:

UhhoooM

(A U M)

.. and, per the above description ... it takes next to *zero* "special effort" to pronounce AUM correctly .... that's part of the brilliance in its design and symbolism.

A - the creation, U - the sustaining, M - the dissolution/completion .... made by naturally and rhythmically opening and closing our mouth, while letting sound naturally emit.

I hope this helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- I missed the "for Kriya Yoga" part of the question. I actually learned the method for pronouncing AUM as shown above, as part of my Kriya training. The "OooNG" pronounciation tends to be used more (as I understand it) in Tibetan Buddhist traditions, and also (I believe, but am not 100% sure) in the Sikh tradition. "AUM" (the original Sanskrit method for pronouncing AUM, as shown above, is correct for Kriya practice).

Edited by - Kirtanman on Apr 04 2010 11:26:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  8:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

PS- I missed the "for Kriya Yoga" part of the question. I actually learned the method for pronouncing AUM as shown above, as part of my Kriya training. The "OooNG" pronounciation tends to be used more (as I understand it) in Tibetan Buddhist traditions, and also (I believe, but am not 100% sure) in the Sikh tradition. "AUM" (the original Sanskrit method for pronouncing AUM, as shown above, is correct for Kriya practice).

Hmm, actually (perhaps "originally" Sikhs used Ooong, because it would be correct Sanskrit grammer. There bij is Ik Ong Kar...and when the "m" sound is prior to the "k" sound it is proncounced nasally "Ong." It is also explaned that Om, has a feminine emphasis, while Ong has a masculine one...don't know if that holds 'true' or not though...

~Jivaakabhasana
Go to Top of Page

KriyabanSeeking

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  12:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting post.

the OM sound is termed: Omkara (often pronounced Omkar depending on heritage, ie- Bengali vs. Northern Indian... Just as some say Pranayam and others say Pranayama)... As Jivaakabhasana Yogi pointed out, when you pronounce the 'm' immediately before the 'k' in Omkar, the 'm' becomes nasal (which tends to sound more like the 'ng' that you speak about) as the root of the tongue raises to the palate to create the hard 'k' consonant.

Interestingly, since you mention this specifically in relation to Kriya, I assume you are referring to Om Japa (the mental chanting of OM at the chakras)... In that case, which pronunciation should a kriyaban use since the mental japa of OM is, well, mental only. I am in no position of authority to answer that for you, however, I would say there are two ways to look at it. One, your guru should have given you a clear explanation of how OM is to be chanted; whatever he says will work for you. Two, try them both; the reason for Om Japa is to help awaken the chakras through the 'mental blow' of the Om in that chakra... So, try them both and see which one awakens the chakra more... If you do not perceive the chakras yet, then it is irrelevant which version you use; in that case, I would follow your guru's advice or I would use either of the variations (both will help to awaken the chakras) and once you perceive them, you will know which one works best for you.

I hope this helps.

Blessings!
Go to Top of Page

Jouz

Italy
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  1:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jouz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The 'ohm' mantra is one of the most popular mantras in the west especially. The correct pronunciation is 'ahom'. It is said that if pronounced correctly you can become extremely powerful , however there is a great difference between the western and oriental approach in pronouncing the mantra. For example in the East it is much more chanted internally than pronounced externally. This is for the same exact reason why in the Jewish holy books such as the Thora it is said to ‘Never pronounce the name of God (in vain)'... this is why everything that is expresses loses it's initial power from where it laid in the realm of the unmanifest. If you manage to harness this power you are capable of doing amazing things, this is the same reason why Koreans never say 'I love you' to their loved ones even if they do and intensely. It is the same thing that happens when you are having sex and you reach the peak of orgasm, there is your energy that is leaking away... this is why martial artists, priests and yogis prefer to remain abstinent. After you reached the peak of orgasm you don't want to have any more immediate sex don't you? This is why your energy from internal it has been externalised. If you keep this energy inside instead of blowing it away you will be able to do true inner alchemy. This is done for example in many yoga asanas where the practitioners have to stay in very painful positions for long periods of time, this is what Asians call qui-gong or energy cultivation. Are you beginning to understand the meaning of that Jewish proverb...

PS: A simple practice next time when someone is inducing you to vent about someone else or complain of a hard situation don't! keep the energy in instead of letting it escape from your mouth, same thing with the mantra. Listen to it but chant it internally

I hope this helped ^^

-----------------------------

-- Jouz
Meditation Teacher

Edited by - Jouz on Sep 04 2010 3:11:02 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000