AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 A question for Yogani
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  6:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Yogani and hello everyone,

A question which has troubled me for few years now but have always ignored it, question is regarding spiritual heart, as Ramana Maharshi says that it is on the right of the chest and is the seat of the soul , different from physical heart, this is what Ramana Maharshi repeatedly said in his answers. And also following:

( originally posted by Doc taken from http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1560)

"Just as there is a cosmic center from which the whole universe arises and has its being and functions with the power or the directing energy emanating therefrom, so also is there a center within the frame of the physical body wherein we have our being. This center in the human body is in no way different from the cosmic center. It is this center in us that is called the Hridaya/Heart, the seat of Pure Consciousness, realized as Existence, Knowledge and Bliss. This is really what we call the seat of God in us.

It is this Heart that is said to be different from the physical heart, regulating the blood circulation. The Hridaya/Heart has its being on the right side and is not commonly known or felt.

Hridaya/Heart described as 'the literal, actual, physical seat of the intuition of the Self' has the meaning explained above. Perhaps the words 'physical seat' may create some confusion. What it really means is that there is a center of Pure Consciousness in the physical body. It is related to the physical, but is not itself physical"

Now Aurobindo, Dayananda Saraswati (who did around 1860-70s the same thing that Sankaracharya did "He travelled the country challenging religious scholars and priests of every religion to discussions and won repeatedly on the strength of his arguments" , Aurobindo even wrote book on Dayananda Saraswati) and Brahmachari Vyas Dev(who is being quoted by Swami Satyananda Saraswati in Kundalini yog/tantra though I read kundalini yog/tantra afterwards)

They all say that the seat of the soul is the physical heart and physical heart is where Anandamaya kosh exists in which the soul resides.

Why is there such a difference Ramana Maharshi describes seat of self on the right side of chest whereas Aurobindo, Dayananda Saraswati amd Brahmachari Vyas Dev describes seat of self as the physical heart. Only one of them can be right I guess, who is right and why is there such a difference?

Edited by - arzkiyahai on Mar 25 2010 6:23:50 PM

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  6:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi arzkiyahai:

Obviously, for each of them, it was where they experienced it. And for you, it will be where you experience it. One place it will never be, and that is where another tells you it is that is contrary to your own experience. This is assuming you continue with practices for as long as it takes to find out for yourself.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  9:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arzkiyahai,

Maybe the following excerpt from Realization.Org will be helpful:

"Ramana Maharshi sometimes described the heart center as an actual object located in the right side of the chest, but at other times he said this was an oversimplification for people who couldn't understand the truth. According to H.W.L Poonja, Ramana Maharshi told him:

When I speak of the 'I' rising from the right side of the body, from a location on the right side of the chest, the information is for those people who still think that they are the body.

To these people I say that the Heart is located there. But it is really not quite correct to say that the 'I' rises from and merges in the Heart on the right side of the chest.

The Heart is another name for the Reality and it is neither inside nor outside the body; there can be no in or out for it, since it alone is. I do not mean by 'Heart' any physiological organ or any plexus or anything like that…"

As Jesus said: "Know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Trying to figure anything out with limited mind just keeps limited mind in place.

Keep practicing, and know.

As Yogani indicated, the only way *not* to know, is if you stop practicing.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arzkiyahai,

I would be very surprised if Aurobindo had said that the seat of the soul, or of anandamaya kosh was in the physical heart. I am familiar with much of his writing, and I never came across anything like that. Aurobindo had an advanced understanding of the planes of existence from the physical through the vital, mental and up to the supra-mental. I would check your sources on that one.

In my experience the spiritual heart is located to the right side of the chest, so it is separate from the physical heart and from the heart chakra, which is located in the centre of the chest.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arzkiyahai,

p.s.

This is by Aurobindo from Letters on Yoga, page 510 (emphasis added):

"You have asked what is the discipline to be followed in order to convert the mental seeking into a living spiritual experience. The first necessity is the practice of concentration of your consciousness within yourself. The ordinary human mind has an activity on the surface which veils the real Self. But there is another, a hidden consciousness within behind the surface one in which we can become aware of the real Self and of a larger deeper truth of nature, can realise the Self and liberate and transform the nature. To quiet the surface mind and begin to live within is the object of this concentration. Of this true consciousness other than the superficial there are two main centres, one in the heart (not the physical heart, but the cardiac centre in the middle of the chest), one in the head. The concentration in the heart opens within and by following this inward opening and going deep one becomes aware of the soul or psychic being, the divine element in the individual. This being unveiled begins to come forward, to govern the nature, to turn it and all its movements towards the Truth, towards the Divine, and to call down into it all that is above. It brings the consciousness of the Presence, the dedication of the being to the Highest and invites the descent into our nature of a greater Force and Consciousness which is waiting above us. To concentrate in the heart centre with the offering of oneself to the Divine and the aspiration for this inward opening and for the Presence in the heart is the first way and, if it can be done, the natural beginning; for its result once obtained makes the spiritual path far more easy and safe than if one begins the other way." [Aurobindo]

http://www.saccs.org.in/texts/sriau...ralyoga.html

So here, Aurobindo is talking about the beginnings of the transformation of our being from a superficial consciousness to a spiritual consciousness. He says that it is this spiritual consciousness which brings about the decent from above of a greater force. In my experience it is this force which decends from above through the crown chakra passing along the amrita nadi and entering the spiritual heart to the right of the chest.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Mar 26 2010 08:10:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Smileyogi

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  03:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smileyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
Originally posted by arzkiyahai

Hi Yogani and hello everyone,

A question which has troubled me for few years now but have always ignored it, question is regarding spiritual heart, as Ramana Maharshi says that it is on the right of the chest and is the seat of the soul , different from physical heart, this is what Ramana Maharshi repeatedly said in his answers.

Hi Arzkiyahai
Don't be troubled,my good man...one could say the seat of the spirit within is on the heart area(from my experience) but is just a local projection.Ramana was just kidding about the right side of the chest.
There was a guy named Robert Adams(http://itisnotreal.com/Roberts-Story.html) whom met Ramana,and they talked about this thing also..and Ramana explained him he needed to pinpoint some local area for people whom are attached to the body...because you can't pinpoint your essence (the spirit within) to some location.
So the right side of the chest was good enough.
In truth,it does emanate from the heart area..but don't think is on the right side of the chest...you could say it's about there..and all over in the same time,left,right,center,none and all...remember,it is the source of everything you are,so how can you pinpoint it to a certain location?
You can't pinpoint the source,since you must be above the source to do it,and that's impossible.
You can KNOW it thru neti neti..not this,not that.
It manifests,is aware,and is pure joy knowing itself(as manifestation)..don't pinpoint it in a certain area.It IS your true nature..
Let me quote Ed talking here http://itisnotreal.blogspot.com/200...n-i-ask.html

(questioner)Staying in the self, or Self-Awareness as much as you can through self-Enquiry or through other means, I have difficulties in understand what are the best ways to do this. Especially following the "I" to it's source, the right side of the heart.

(Ed responds)Absolutely forget the heart. That was a ruse by Ramana to turn people inward. The real inward is not into a place in the body because the body does not exist as an independent entity, rather go into That which cognizes and is aware, the sense of I, or the unformed matrix of Am-ness. Just resting in self, going deeper into silence to its deepest level. Everything in the world is just “noise” added onto your true nature. Some go into that silence by “looking” within, others by “feeling” in, sort of falling backwards into your true self.

Hope that helps..
Much love to you:)
Danny
ps..when I said from my experience the source appears to be right there in the ,,heart area,,..is due to my particular ability,as a mahayogi..to pinpoint the energy bodies of persons..and everytime I did it for not-realized dead people..they appeared cut in half,with only the belly and head showing...is like the heart area is gone.
This is what I ment about,,my experience,, not because I believed those sages...and the most disturbing thing is that many times I predicted the death of certain persons,just by seeing how their ,,heart area,, goes away as energy.It has nothing to do with any illness one might have,and the most disturbing thing is that...that particular energy of the body leaves the body about 6 months before ones death...which could be a car accident or whatever..but the energy leaves way before that.(about 6 months,from my experience)..this stuff is real,I am not kidding.On the other hand,the realized dead people appear as ,,united,, between belly,heart,and head area..as one.Something to ponder about,and something to make us meditate more on the essence,so we might be integrated after death,as one.Ponder about..this meditation business is all about becoming ONE.

pps..I am not a follower of any of the guys in the links I post..I post that for reference only,I have a vast database of knowledge,and I just posted what I knew about this topic,that's all.

Moderator Note: Edited for formatting only.

Edited by - AYPforum on Mar 27 2010 05:20:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Smileyogi

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  06:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smileyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Christi
In my experience the spiritual heart is located to the right side of the chest, so it is separate from the physical heart and from the heart chakra, which is located in the centre of the chest.

Christi

Christi..this is not my experience.
You could the most say,,as manifestation,, is located on that area of heart...(area of heart means there,not the right,left,center,etc..as manifestation only,not as truth)
But really,it is all embracing,all radiant not-located,not in time,not in space,pure beauty.
Is is your true self manifesting.
How it could IT be located anywhere..it created this universe and you locate it in some part of your body?
Ponder,Christi..
Much love to you..
Danny
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  2:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Danny,

It appears like that here. That's all. As Yogani said above, how it appears for someone is how they will describe it. It can be useful to share our experiences because, more often than not, we are working with a common map, with the same neurobiology.

And yes, ultimately the spiritual heart is larger than the universe, than all the universes. Who could locate that anywhere?

As you say, pure beauty.

Much love to you too,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  11:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

For anyone interested in this subject, here is what Ramana Maharshi said about it:

quote:
"Here [referring to the right side of the chest] lies the Heart, the Dynamic, Spiritual Heart. It is called Hridaya and is located on the right side of the chest and is clearly visible to the inner eye of an adept on the Spiritual Path. Through meditation you can learn to find the Self in the cave of this Heart."

"Just as there is a cosmic center from which the whole universe arises and has its being and functions with the power or the directing energy emanating therefrom, so also is there a center within the frame of the physical body wherein we have our being. This center in the human body is in no way different from the cosmic center. It is this center in us that is called the Hridaya, the seat of Pure Consciousness, realized as Existence, Knowledge and Bliss. This is really what we call the seat of God in us.

"It is this Hridaya that is said to be different from the physical heart, regulating the blood circulation. The Hridaya has its being on the right side and is not commonly known or felt. The primary thought in us arising as 'I,' when traced to its source, ends somewhere in us and this place, where all thoughts die, where the ego has vanished, is the Hridaya. From this center is felt and enjoyed the Pure Consciousness.

"Hridaya described as 'the literal, actual, physical seat of the intuition of the Self' has the meaning explained above. Perhaps the words 'physical seat' may create some confusion. What it really means is that there is a center of Pure Consciousness in the physical body. It is related to the physical, but is not itself physical.

"The word Hridaya is a composite of hrid and ayam - "center, this". It is the center on the right, which we reach as a result of meditation. From the Hridaya, consciousness arises to the sahasrara through the sushumna and from there spreads out to all the parts of the body through the several 'nadis'. Then alone we become conscious of the objects around us. Man, due to the illusion that these have real existence, experiences suffering, as he strays far away from his Self. The seat from where all these arise and manifest is the Hridaya.

"Whether in sleep, joy, sorrow, fear or satisfaction, we return to this heart and that is why we feel lost to all consciousness of things around. If by meditation or Vichara we attain to our centre, the Hridaya, and thus are our real Self, we enjoy unalloyed bliss.

"In the course of tracing ourselves back to our source, when all thoughts have vanished, there arises a throb from the Hridaya on the right, manifesting as 'Aham' 'Aham'. This is the sign that Pure Consciousness is beginning to reveal itself. But that is not the end in itself. Watch wherefrom this sphurana (throbbing) arises and wait attentively and continually for the revelation of the Self. Then comes the awareness, oneness of existence.

"When we steady our breath we feel the steadying of our thoughts. Then the thoughts turn inward and melt away at a point. Watching this point, where the thoughts vanish, will also help us to merge ourselves in the Hridaya."

Christi
Go to Top of Page

swamilite

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  09:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit swamilite's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two kinds of love we are capable of: the personal love experienced by our souls in the ego separation, and the impersonal, which appears naturally at the end of the journey. The personal love (soul) center is located in the heart area, whereas the impersonal, when it appears, tends to emanate from the center of the chest.
Many, on the journey, tend to try to expand the soul's love to include everybody. It looks logical, since the love from the soul center is what we are familiar with. This however, can lead to all kinds of problems of feelings of unworthiness and failure. The job is not to expand the soul's love forcefully, but rather to liberate her from the ego bondage of the pain veil. The human soul is the gate to higher love, but it can never be obtained as long as the gate is sealed with a wall of pain.
To me it is a waste of time focusing on the impersonal love, for one tends to be distracted from the real and immediate work of liberating the soul and her love from the ego darkness of the veil of pain: that ancient sorrow that never seems to lift.
There are two more veils, bedeviling the other parts of who you are: fear, and anger. One has to liberate the parts in order for consciousness to come back together into one, and from that oneness, the drop drops back into the ocean, the impersonal is known.
Comparing different paths, different realizations, can be very ego gratifying, and yet in terms of the work it is counterproductive. Distracting, when what one needs is focus. Who wouldn't prefer to read about enlightenment rather than engaging in the very difficult task of uncovering it?
Go to Top of Page

Smileyogi

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  07:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smileyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by swamilite
Comparing different paths, different realizations, can be very ego gratifying, and yet in terms of the work it is counterproductive. Distracting, when what one needs is focus. Who wouldn't prefer to read about enlightenment rather than engaging in the very difficult task of uncovering it?

Hi Swamilite

On the contrary of what you say..comparing different paths can blow a hole in your inner understanding of the TRUTH.
If you are afraid of different paths,this means only one thing..that you are interested in your ego-path,since the TRUTH is eternal.
Maybe you focus too much on your path,and refuse to see any wisdom in the other paths(like Yogani's lessons)
But why you call that distracting?
It is your own ego,I believe..the truth is one,and must be verified in ALL paths.
If you don't verify your own experience,then you must admit you are mistaken,Swamilite.
Please stop saying that ,,Comparing different paths, different realizations, can be very ego gratifying, and yet in terms of the work it is counterproductive,,.
THE WHOLE HOPE of HUMANITY is comparing and KNOWING the differences of many paths...and explaining their common ground.
There is no other path,but the TRUTH.
Because the TRUTH is one,and must be verified in all paths.
This is nothing to do with the ego,other then your own ego,Swamilite.
Ponder.
Danny

Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  10:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Smileyogi

quote:
Originally posted by swamilite

Hi Swamilite

On the contrary of what you say..comparing different paths can blow a hole in your inner understanding of the TRUTH.
If you are afraid of different paths,this means only one thing..that you are interested in your ego-path,since the TRUTH is eternal.
Maybe you focus too much on your path,and refuse to see any wisdom in the other paths(like Yogani's lessons)
But why you call that distracting?
It is your own ego,I believe..the truth is one,and must be verified in ALL paths.
If you don't verify your own experience,then you must admit you are mistaken,Swamilite.
Please stop saying that ,,Comparing different paths, different realizations, can be very ego gratifying, and yet in terms of the work it is counterproductive,,.
THE WHOLE HOPE of HUMANITY is comparing and KNOWING the differences of many paths...and explaining their common ground.
There is no other path,but the TRUTH.
Because the TRUTH is one,and must be verified in all paths.
This is nothing to do with the ego,other then your own ego,Swamilite.
Ponder.
Danny

Hi Danny,

first of all: I am not here to defend Swamilite,
but I must say that your post is IMO quite aggressive.
It is IMO wrong to tell Swamilite to stop saying something.
Everybody should be allowed to express their opinion and
their piece of the truth.
We can discuss our understanding of the truth, we can
express that we agree or disagree, but stating that the other
person is wrong is not productive (and can seldom be proven).

In the hope that this discussion be fruitful.

regards
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Smileyogi

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smileyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Hi Danny,

first of all: I am not here to defend Swamilite,
but I must say that your post is IMO quite aggressive.
It is IMO wrong to tell Swamilite to stop saying something.
Everybody should be allowed to express their opinion and
their piece of the truth.

Hi Wolfgang:)
I agree with that...
Swamilite was a friend of mine,(at one time)and I meant to tease him a bit..but for a second I forgot my reply wasn't for him only.

I apologize...and thanks for reminding me.
Danny;)
ps..whatever I explained to him,still stands true..

Edited by - Smileyogi on Apr 18 2010 08:50:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  9:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou yogani, kirtanman, christi, smileyogi, swamlite and wolfgang for your replies.
Go to Top of Page

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  10:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Arzkiyahai,

I would be very surprised if Aurobindo had said that the seat of the soul, or of anandamaya kosh was in the physical heart. I am familiar with much of his writing, and I never came across anything like that. Aurobindo had an advanced understanding of the planes of existence from the physical through the vital, mental and up to the supra-mental. I would check your sources on that one.

Christi

Hi Christi,

For Aurobindo's mentioning seat of self as physical heart, I read that in a book by Jagannath Pathik, he quoted Aurobindo's writing and mentioning that his finding are similar to Aurobindo, the book was titled "Sandhya yog aur brahm sakhshatkar".(the book is in India so cannot quote his direct words)

Though from Aurobindo's writing as a whole it looks like he was never was interested and never even went for self-realization as He was busy in finding a way for an immortal body.

Edited by - arzkiyahai on Apr 20 2010 10:01:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  01:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Following is a translated excerpt from a book called "Secret method of developing psychic powers" by Shoko Asahara. Perhaps it will shed some more light on the issue.

"According to my special perception, there are three Anahata chakras. The first is located in the region of right nipple, the second - in the region of left nipple, and the third - in the middle of the line which connects both nipples. Anahata chakra, located in the region of left nipple, is of a gold color and has a form of a hexagon with twelve petals. Anahata chakra, which is located in the center, is of a sky-blue color and has a form of a pentagon with ten petals. Anahata chakra, located in the region of the right nipple, is of dark red color and has a form of a circle without any petals. For levitation I use the central chakra in the form of pentagon. Due to the vibration of this chakra an energy is produced, which is necessary for levitation. The right anahata chakra helps to purify the consciousness and is, therefore, necessary for achievement of Liberation. Thus, right and central chakras have great significance, although most people, usually, know only about the left chakra. When the Anahata chakra is developing, you feel fatigue, pain in the heart, palpitation and you may enter into a state of delirious illusions.

Anahata chakra controls the following supernatural abilities:
Left chakra.
1. Reading other people's thoughts with the aid of clairvoyance
2. Controlling other people's minds
Central chakra
1. To levitate;
2. To move freely through air:
3. To see remote objects and to hear sounds at a great distance. "

Sadly he didn't mention which special abilities are bestowed upon the development of the right anahata chakra. Perhaps it is the ability to know the unknowable, to know the True, inhuman, Self?

Edited by - Chiron on Apr 20 2010 02:53:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  5:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arzkiyahai,

quote:

Hi Christi,

As you quoted another article, Ramana Maharshi was very clear and open about his findings.

Now for Aurobindo's mentioning seat of self as physical heart, I read that in a book by Jagannath Pathik, he quoted Aurobindo's writing and mentioning that his finding are similar to Aurobindo, the book was titled "Sandhya yog aur brahm sakhshatkar".(the book is in India so cannot quote his direct words)

Without seeing the article, I can't really comment further, other than to say that as I recall Aurobindo referred to the soul as the psychic being, which he said resided within the true consciousness. As I mentioned above he was clear that the true consciousness has its seat in the centre of the chest and not in the physical heart.

quote:
Though from Aurobindo's writing as a whole it looks like he was never was interested and never even went for self-realization as He was busy in finding a way for an immortal body.

That's not the understanding that I got from reading his works. As I saw it he was very much concerned with self-realization, that was the whole purpose of his Yoga. Later in his life he also became concerned with what he called the supramentalization of the physical plane. It is a part of the process of yoga which goes beyond the process of self-realization. Yogani touches upon this process of supramentalization of the earth plane in this lesson:

quote:
Enlightenment is not about running off to heaven and leaving an unpurified nervous system behind that we will have to come back to and finish later in another life. It is about doing the work of completely purifying the nervous system. Then we have it all, become it all, heaven, earth, the cosmos, LA, everything. Then we become an expression of heaven on earth, and can do much for others who are expressions of heaven also, just needing a good housecleaning to realize it. So, it is not about going off into the star. It is about bringing the star in here, into the earth plane. That we do by purifying and opening the nervous system.

http://www.aypsite.org/92.html

The supramental transformation of consciousness isn't about attaining an immortal physical body. Sri Aurobindo was never concerned about that, although some people such as Osho made out that he was. The supramental transformation is about the realization of Truth Consciousness, which is our immortal Self beyond that which is born and dies. Yogani also talks about this in the main lessons here:

quote:
8. Samadhi – It means "absorption/transcendence," and it is what we experience in daily meditation. It expands over time, eventually becoming our natural state of being in daily activity. It is pure bliss consciousness, the inner silent witness. Samadhi in its various stages of unfoldment is the experience of our immortal universal Self. That is what we are.

http://www.aypsite.org/149.html

Both Aurobindo and the Mother believed that they could use Yoga to extend the lifetime of the physical body in order to prepare for the development of a subtle body of divine light. This body is sometimes referred to as the body of divine glory in the Christian tradition and is the body which Jesus Christ showed to three of his disciples in the Transfiguration on mount Tabor. When the transformation to the body of light is complete the physical body is dropped.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Apr 20 2010 6:33:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  6:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

The supramental transformation of consciousness isn't about attaining an immortal physical body. Sri Aurobindo was never concerned about that, although some people such as Osho made out that he was. The supramental transformation is about the realization of Truth Consciousness, which is our immortal Self beyond that which is born and dies. Yogani also talks about this in the main lessons here:

Hi Christi,

" Aurobindo’s arguing for an eventual attainment of the immortality of the body. Paul Brunton strongly criticized Aurobindo as well as Mary Baker Eddy (founder of Christian Science) for this claim or attempt, which he saw as philosophically flawed. The body is part of the world of change and must perish, no matter how high ones spiritual attainment. In a future Golden Age it may have a much longer life span, but it will still not become immortal.

"Aurobindo, like countless beings before him, died. Paul Brunton was of the opinion that to attempt to bypass this inevitable event is fruitless. He states:

"But we succeed only in fooling ourselves if we imagine it will ever be possible for rnan to eliminate this fundamental process of birth, decay, and death which holds sway throughout the universe. Man can never master it but will always be mastered by it. Through learning to understand it he may modify its workings in various ways and thus improve his position. But he can never outwit a process which carries the very planet on which he dwells along with it. Why he cannot do so is revealed by metaphysical enquiry which shows its value by saving him from time-wasting and fruitless effort."

Damiani, a student of Brunton's, humorously said,

"Anybody could have told him, "look, you are going to die just like me," and he did. When your time comes, you'll go. And when your time comes to come back, you'll come back."
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  8:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arzkiyahai,

quote:
Hi Christi,

" Aurobindo’s arguing for an eventual attainment of the immortality of the body. Paul Brunton strongly criticized Aurobindo as well as Mary Baker Eddy (founder of Christian Science) for this claim or attempt, which he saw as philosophically flawed. The body is part of the world of change and must perish, no matter how high ones spiritual attainment. In a future Golden Age it may have a much longer life span, but it will still not become immortal.

"Aurobindo, like countless beings before him, died. Paul Brunton was of the opinion that to attempt to bypass this inevitable event is fruitless. He states:

"But we succeed only in fooling ourselves if we imagine it will ever be possible for rnan to eliminate this fundamental process of birth, decay, and death which holds sway throughout the universe. Man can never master it but will always be mastered by it. Through learning to understand it he may modify its workings in various ways and thus improve his position. But he can never outwit a process which carries the very planet on which he dwells along with it. Why he cannot do so is revealed by metaphysical enquiry which shows its value by saving him from time-wasting and fruitless effort."

Damiani, a student of Brunton's, humorously said,

"Anybody could have told him, "look, you are going to die just like me," and he did. When your time comes, you'll go. And when your time comes to come back, you'll come back."

As I said, certain people have made out that Aurobindo was interested in preserving the physical body to all eternity. From reading his own words, I don't believe that this was so, although he did believe that yoga can extend the lifespan of the physical body. This belief is not uncommon, although I don't know if it has ever been proven.

The process of making the body immortal is well documented in many spiritual traditions and is a process called transubstantiation. The cells of the physical body are transformed into light. They literally begin to radiate a divine light. A new body is formed which exists on a more subtle plane than the physical. This was the process of the supramentalization of the physical plane (and the physical body) which Sri Aurobindo was concerned with. He talked about a future race of man which would have divinized (immortal) bodies. These will be supramentalized bodies, in other words bodies formed from divine light, living in a world made of divine light.

These beings already exist (and have done for quite a while) and they are increadible to behold.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  8:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply Christi, that is something new to me.

I personally admire very much Ramana's and Aurobindo's writing.

Edited by - arzkiyahai on Apr 20 2010 10:50:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  06:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arzkiyahai,

Your welcome. Ramana and Aurobindo are two of my favourite teachers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000