Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Pets and Practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  2:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Aauummm
Anjaneyaye Vidmahe
Mahabalaye Dhi-Mahi
Tan No Hanuman Prachodayat

Aauummm Shanti Shanti Shanti
Aauumm
I meditate on the son of Anjana
Oh, son of Vayu Deva (the god of air)raise my intellect
Let Hanuman illuminate my mind

Aauummm Peace Peace Peace...

Namaste' Ya'll!

Curious of other peoples experiences with their resident animal friends...

I do cat rescue, so don't askhow many I have, although they are all kenneled except for my one eyed female "Betsy." I also have the pleasure of sharing my life with Boris (a Rat Terrier) and Natasha (terrier/poodle/Heinz 57 variety.)

Now, I used toattempt keeping my critters out of the room during practices, but to no avail...

I awaken around 4:45, bathe, and begin my practices with an hour of Hatha (been doing it this way for years)...and Boris and Natasha will jump off the bed, and of course the first thing they do is Adho Mukha Svanasana (downward facing dog!) They will continue this for a few minutes, then settle and watch me do Hatha practice...

I then go on the inversion table for 10 minutes (cat's look really funny upside down!), then come back upstairs to do my SBP and DM...More often than not, I open my eyes at the end of practices to find a cat in my lap and two sweet dawgy faces resting on either side of my asan. It obviously doesn't interfere with my practices, often I don't even know they are there until I'm through...

I used to be finickey about not letting them do this, but if I put them out (of the room) they whine and scratch at the door! LOL, besides once I am in my formal sitting practices, then don't usually budge until I'm through.

This got so regular that I put two "meditation cushions" next to my asan, and they will often sit there during my meditations (not the cat, she thinks my lap is a throne.)

Oh, and yea, when I do Ganapati Puja or Arti and blow the conch, often B & N will howl with delight!

On this note, I couldn't figure out, during my practices, why I thought I kept hearing a "blub blub girgle blub," so faint as to wonder whether or not it was "inside or outside." Turns out that Sir Betta (my fish) has matured to the point where he is creating his bubble nests! LOL (they make nests of bubbles on the top of the water for the female's eggs.) Problem solved :-)

Anyone else have experiences with their resident critters they'd care to share?

~Jivaakabhasana Yogi

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  3:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I read this post, my cat which was sleeping on my bed woke up and came and jumped on my lap, desperate for attention. How's that for an experience? lol
Go to Top of Page

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  5:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Clear White Light

When I read this post, my cat which was sleeping on my bed woke up and came and jumped on my lap, desperate for attention. How's that for an experience? lol

Yaa, I find my animal friends to be highly intuitive :-) Natasha; if I'm sitting at the computer here, will come behind me up on the bed, and put her paws on top of my shoulders, like she's reading over my shoulder!

I can say that I learned more life lessons from my dog Boris, than any person alive...when I was deathly ill a few years back, one of the chemo drugs sent me into seizures, while I don't remember this, I'd called 911, and they arrived to find Boris laying across my chest licking my face, whinning and barking. If he hadn't been there, I don't know if I'd had the presence of mind to call 911, etc...

I've always had animals in my life, for a long time I raised rats, and people just could not understand how I would be at the point of tears "over a rat" dying in my hands..."its just a 'rat'"...to me, she was Brahman, no different between my"self" and her"self".

~Jivaakabhasana_Yogi
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  5:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

Aauummm
Anjaneyaye Vidmahe
Mahabalaye Dhi-Mahi
Tan No Hanuman Prachodayat

Aauummm Shanti Shanti Shanti
Aauumm
I meditate on the son of Anjana
Oh, son of Vayu Deva (the god of air)raise my intellect
Let Hanuman illuminate my mind

Aauummm Peace Peace Peace...

Namaste' Ya'll!

Curious of other peoples experiences with their resident animal friends...

I do cat rescue, so don't askhow many I have, although they are all kenneled except for my one eyed female "Betsy." I also have the pleasure of sharing my life with Boris (a Rat Terrier) and Natasha (terrier/poodle/Heinz 57 variety.)

Now, I used toattempt keeping my critters out of the room during practices, but to no avail...

I awaken around 4:45, bathe, and begin my practices with an hour of Hatha (been doing it this way for years)...and Boris and Natasha will jump off the bed, and of course the first thing they do is Adho Mukha Svanasana (downward facing dog!) They will continue this for a few minutes, then settle and watch me do Hatha practice...

I then go on the inversion table for 10 minutes (cat's look really funny upside down!), then come back upstairs to do my SBP and DM...More often than not, I open my eyes at the end of practices to find a cat in my lap and two sweet dawgy faces resting on either side of my asan. It obviously doesn't interfere with my practices, often I don't even know they are there until I'm through...

I used to be finickey about not letting them do this, but if I put them out (of the room) they whine and scratch at the door! LOL, besides once I am in my formal sitting practices, then don't usually budge until I'm through.

This got so regular that I put two "meditation cushions" next to my asan, and they will often sit there during my meditations (not the cat, she thinks my lap is a throne.)

Oh, and yea, when I do Ganapati Puja or Arti and blow the conch, often B & N will howl with delight!

On this note, I couldn't figure out, during my practices, why I thought I kept hearing a "blub blub girgle blub," so faint as to wonder whether or not it was "inside or outside." Turns out that Sir Betta (my fish) has matured to the point where he is creating his bubble nests! LOL (they make nests of bubbles on the top of the water for the female's eggs.) Problem solved :-)

Anyone else have experiences with their resident critters they'd care to share?

~Jivaakabhasana Yogi

thats pretty cool
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  05:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to do a lot more yoga than I do now, and the cats used to just love it when I did Sun Salutations - they used to dive bomb me! Which was a little disconcerting When I meditated, a cat usually ended up sitting on my lap, and another tapping at my legs for attention. These days I sit in a room with the door closed and only the fish in the tank to overlook me. It's a lot more peaceful
Go to Top of Page

yogathai

Thailand
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  03:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogathai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I currently live at a mediation and yoga center in Thailand. We practice the yoga in an outside sala and there is one cat in particular who lives in the neighborhood and joins us everyday. She usually will make her rounds with the students and then chills on the teacher's mat!!

Yoga Thailand

Edited by - yogathai on Mar 05 2010 10:02:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  06:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes me feel like i should get another cat with all these stories of pets
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  2:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=930
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  10:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I finally had to admit it to myself a coupla weeks ago: my old bulldog *knows* when I've settled in to meditate. She could be sleeping in a room halfway across the house...I'll be ten minutes in, and I hear her claws ticking on the floor, coming up to me to demand laptime.

What can I say? She's 14 years old, I accommodate... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  7:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cats can be so loving and intuitive or can be a pain as well. I was doing my pranayama today when my cat decided to step over my litle meditation table. I tried to gently brush him away and he jumped all over the table knocking things over! Took me awhile to get settled in my practice again. Needless to say he was tossed out the door before I sat for mantra meditation. Its kind of like having a kid that you love dearly but pisses you off sometimes and will never grow up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000