Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Kabbalah Compared to AYP Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  3:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Recently, I started atending an online Kabbalh class hosted by Bnei Baruch Association. While I find the methodology of Kabbalah fascinating, it seems to me that it might require intense intellectual study of various terms, satges, levels, etc for the purpose of attempting to ascend to a higher plane of Spirituality.
Conversely, the easy to implement tools of AYP give practical methods that allow a person to begin his /her Spiritual journey from day 1.
I assume that both methods lead to the same goal of reunion with the Creator.
I am interested to read any comments form the forum members concerning my observation.

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  3:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Conceptual study is okay for some background, but not needed. The right method to awaken is very simple.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  5:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Adamant. Your comment is how I believe it to be. My direct experience with the Divine are still pending, so I do not have much to say. I am simply trusting in my AYP practice sessions that all will be revealed in proper time.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  5:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome Arjun. Keep an open mind while continuously inquiring.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  9:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Arjuna

I assume that both methods lead to the same goal of reunion with the Creator.

They do.

Results-wise, I can only speak to the benefit of daily AYP ("Infinite" ).

If you ever feel you have to prioritize information/teachings or sitting practices, I would always recommend prioritizing sitting practices (only because, again; I know the benefits of that approach) .... but there's probably no reason you can't do both.

I didn't get into Kashmir Shaivism or Kabbalah until I'd developed quite a bit of inner silence.

Then, the "light bulb" went off that the most esoteric teachings of those systems were talking about what I was experiencing, thanks to daily AYP.

Bnei Baruch really does put a lot of very deep stuff into very plain language; I love their teaching about the "will to receive" (ego) and the "will to bestow" (the creator; literally: our true nature).

This is a fundamental and profound teaching as to how consciousness actually operates:

If it feels constricted, and like it's "about you" .... that's "will to receive".

If it feels like it's shining, flowing out .... loving .... that's will to bestow; that's the movement of this that we each and all ever actually are, now.

We're all unspeakably fortunate to be alive at a time when practices as powerful as those taught by AYP, and teachings as profound as those of Bnei Baruch, exist (effectively) side-by-side on the Internet, and are available at a moment's notice (thanks to Google), and for free.

WOW.

The value of this literally can't be stated.

AYP, at least, can literally provide liberation in this lifetime.

And there isn't anything of greater value than that.

Heck, there isn't anything .... anything ...... of value .... compared to that.

And I simply recommend prioritizing accordingly.

The good news is: there's room for everything you'll need for liberation; there always is, for everyone .... that's how it works.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Feb 01 2010 9:58:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  3:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kirtanman. Actually, it was one of your previous posts on this forum, that introduced me to Bnei Baruch. These Kabbalist's seem to have a detailed roadmap back to Godhead. There is so much that I do not yet comprehend and/or have yet to experience, that it can overwhelm me.
I have always wondered if there existed a step by step detailed instructional method by which a person could intellectualize his/her way back to God.
At the same time, it seems to me that the human mind is possibly the only thing standing in the way of God and us.
Now, with my AYP practices, there are times that my thinking mind dissolves, and temporarily disappears...and it is precisely during those episodes, that I percieve an inkling of something fresh and new, yet at the same time old and familiar. During those episodes, I seem to have no thinking mind available to evaluate the experience. Afterwards, I wonder...what is this???
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  3:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

At the same time, it seems to me that the human mind is possibly the only thing standing in the way of God and us.

Turn it around, The human mind is possibly the only thing giving you access to God and us.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  9:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arjuna,

quote:

Thanks Kirtanman. Actually, it was one of your previous posts on this forum, that introduced me to Bnei Baruch.

Cool; "had a feeling." I'm glad to hear you've found their material helpful.

quote:

These Kabbalist's seem to have a detailed roadmap back to Godhead.

Oh, they do. Though please note: the "detailed roadmap back to Godhead" is taught via schools, paths and systems represented within every religion.

quote:

There is so much that I do not yet comprehend and/or have yet to experience, that it can overwhelm me. I have always wondered if there existed a step by step detailed instructional method by which a person could intellectualize his/her way back to God.

I would say "no", actually.

Kabbalah is knowledge-centric to a large extent .... but also balanced by being bhakti (devotion) centric, to a large extent .... and, as with all paths .... the Kabbalists who realized the fulness of their true nature (who "make it back to the Godhead", to use your phrasing) .... are those who engage in very similar practices to people practicing in other traditions.

Meaning:

Kabbalah doesn't have a "corner on the market", quote-unquote ... they just did a really good job of creating a really detailed map, and Bnei Baruch does a really good job of putting that map into plain, current-day language.

The basics of what really works (to realize and live from our true nature), in terms of what we do with body, breath, limited mind, language, sexual practices, inquiry, meditation, non-dual awareness, and so on .... is actually very similar, the world over.

The clothing and language and music, and even names of God(s) may be different ..... but the approach is ultimately very similar:

Yogic practices (meditation, breath control, and so on) work, in any tradition; devotion works, in any tradition; learning and inquiry works, in any tradition, and so on.

quote:

I might phrase it "the limited conjecture called ego mind" (is the "only thing standing in the way of God and us" .... but I get what you're saying, and I agree, in general.

The artificial concept called ego; the false supposition that our true nature is limited, mortal and separate .... is the cloud-cover with which God (by any name) is blocked.

The trick isn't so much to "slay the ego" ... or "overcome the ego" ... more just to keep practicing, and being willing to allow a light greater than the scope of the ego to shine in, and show us what's real.

quote:

Now, with my AYP practices, there are times that my thinking mind dissolves, and temporarily disappears...and it is precisely during those episodes, that I percieve an inkling of something fresh and new, yet at the same time old and familiar.

That's WHY I suggested prioritizing practices over information.

A moment of actually experiencing this (the dissolution of thinking mind, even for a moment or two) for yourself blows away all the spiritual information you can ever take in, from any system, over the course of a lifetime ... or many lifetimes.

quote:

During those episodes, I seem to have no thinking mind available to evaluate the experience. Afterwards, I wonder...what is this???

Thinking mind is greatly over-rated.

And it can't help you, here.

That's a good thing.

When thinking mind dissolves, you have expanded into the reality where thinking mind cannot follow; the reality it cannot comprehend ("The Tao which can be spoken of is not the Tao").

The words of a story are not qualified to comment on the nature of their author.

We've been conditioned to think that thinking mind is not only the "best way" to evaluate things, and/or to evaluate truth .... but we've also been conditioned to thinking that thinking mind is "who we are".

It's not true.

Thinking mind is a sense, not a self.

Looking to thoughts for confirmation of reality is like looking to sight or hearing for the same thing .... an approach that's utterly upside down and backwards.

Thoughtless awareness throws the gates to infinite immediate intuition wide open.

A trickle or two at first ..... then a bit more .... then a bit more.

And please notice:

As thoughtless awareness increases .... so does the "will to bestow" ... the heart that naturally pours out the divine love Yogani speaks of, in the AYP lessons and books.

And, as thoughtless awareness increases ..... the "will to receive" ... the ego .... the "what's in it for me?" sense .... decreases.

We cannot really be an ego; we can only think we're an ego.

And then, finally .... it all kind of balances out .... and it's seen that the "Godhead" (aka reality, true nature, etc.) is ...... always, ever, only ...... right here.

Where else could it be?

Living can't be non-divine or unreal ............ only ideas about living can be non-divine or unreal.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Feb 02 2010 9:30:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  7:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just cultivate awe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000