AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 two question about spinal column
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  07:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

While visualizing the spinal column in our mind eye, I'm wondering from which direction we are looking at it? From the top, from the sides or back? Or is this is totally wrong understanding about visualizing cause this is still trying to looking at the spinal column like through physical eye only different is its in our mind?
Secondly are the chakras located on the spinal column or somewhere else? Because currently i don't feel the spinal column but feel the the energy centers like solar plexus. So i was wondering tracing these centers is the same as tracing the spinal column?

Thank you very much

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  9:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

the visualizing at first is exactly as you describe, the way you are used to "see" with your physical eyes. Start with what is easy, most probably having the conscious seer somewhere in the head seeing the tube from up there. With time this will change to a more traveling in the tube while seeing it, so "your" position from where you see moves along with breath, energy etc.

Also this relative seeing (and feeling and hearing) from one perspective changes more and more into an absolute seeing, inside out/outside in.

But it is not about doing this intentionally right from the start. The important thing is to breath and at the same time to trace the path as good as you can with your attention. Feeling, seeing and hearing is favored if possible in that moment, but if not, then just go on with attention and breath till it is possible/easy/happening again.

The energy follows your attention, so that is the first element. Feeling and seeing refines and precises the energy flow more.

The chakras are within the central channel, and at the same time extend and connect it to other channels. There are also other chakras that are on the front of your body and are linked to the ones within the spinal cord. Don't know which ones you feels where, but don't mistake the front ones with the routing of spinal breathing =P

Take it easy, it will get more clear over time.
Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  05:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Holy. I understand now.
Go to Top of Page

slamut

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  7:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit slamut's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

I had a question with regards to spiritual pranayama practice visualization. I get the part in visualizing the life force/breath going up the from the base of spine up the spine to the crown and then down to the 3rd eye. Now when going down on exhalation - do you visualize going from the 3rd eye up the crown and down the spine to the base or do you visualize going from the 3rd eye down the front to throat, solar etc to the root chakra or base of spine?

Also has anyone felt a spiral energy or snake-like energy going up the spine from the base to parts of the spine during pranayama?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  01:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, slamut, very definitely so. That is why they call kundalini the serpent energy.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  02:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kaserdar,

If you want to know a little more about the chakras check out http://www.crystalinks.com/chakras.html - they have simple, beautiful visuals
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  4:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by slamut

Hello,

I had a question with regards to spiritual pranayama practice visualization. I get the part in visualizing the life force/breath going up the from the base of spine up the spine to the crown and then down to the 3rd eye. Now when going down on exhalation - do you visualize going from the 3rd eye up the crown and down the spine to the base or do you visualize going from the 3rd eye down the front to throat, solar etc to the root chakra or base of spine?

Also has anyone felt a spiral energy or snake-like energy going up the spine from the base to parts of the spine during pranayama?
Thanks

Hi Slamut,

Are you talking about Spinal Breathing Pranayama, or a different form of pranayama such as the microcosmic orbit?

If you are talking about Spinal Breathing Pranayama as we practice here, then it is up the spine with the inbreath, to the centre of the head, and then forward to the third eye. On exhale it is back to the centre of the head and down the spine to the root chakra (perineum).

See here:

http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

If you are talking about the microcosmic orbit, then there are different ways that this is practiced. The method I was taught is up the spine with the inbreath to the crown chakra and down the front of the body with the outbreath to the root chakra.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  4:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kaserdar,

quote:
Secondly are the chakras located on the spinal column or somewhere else? Because currently i don't feel the spinal column but feel the the energy centers like solar plexus. So i was wondering tracing these centers is the same as tracing the spinal column?

Usually the chakras are first experienced on the front of the body, or between the legs in the case of the first chakra, or above the head in the case of the crown chakra. The actual epicentres of the chakras connect to the sushumna, and are caused by the interaction of the ida/pingala nadis with the sushumna. So tracing the spinal nerve purifies and activates all the chakras by default.

The energetic aspects of the chakras on the outside of the body are called kshetrams. It all looks something like this:

http://www.yogamax.net/wp-content/u...-chakras.jpg

Christi
Go to Top of Page

slamut

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  12:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit slamut's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello,

Thanks Christi for your response - it looks like i was doing the microsomic orbit based on your definition. The kundalini energy is still active i see with this. Well i am grateful for the description for spinal pranayama as i had this thought to ask for clarification and i am happy i did. So now i am going to do spinal pranayama the right way and also utilize the microsomic orbit where i see fit before meditation.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000