AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Lama Yeshe - Introduction to Tantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  6:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I wanted to mention that I read a very good book by Lama Yeshe in the last while that has many areas very in line with AYP. It's called "The Introduction to Tantra: The Transformation of Desire".

It offers a a really balanced Buddhist perspective a variety of topics including service to others, using an Ishta or chosen ideal to speed the process of elevating the mind, transforming desire to highest purpose, finding the guru within, giving the attention to ecstasy and bliss (outside of practices) to break perpetual thinking cycles etc. and a lot of good practices and tips.

It has some "downsides" from my perspective being a little "dry" at times and towards the end too focused for my liking on "attainments" (which I see as potentially distracting) and some "heady" theory and terminology, but overall a very good read.

Just thought I would throw it out there.

Edited by - Anthem on Jan 01 2010 11:00:42 PM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  07:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Anthem, let's just say you got me very interested i'll see if i can get the book.

take care bro and hope this year brings a lot of joy into your life.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  10:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem, I bought this book a while back, it's been moving up in my "book queue" - your post just pushed it much farther toward the front - thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  2:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The bliss of inner fire - from Lama Yeshe is also very nice. It deals with the important part of the tantric practice, which is bringing the life energies into the centralchannel.

The first chapters are full of theorie and concepts, but later on, he also sys: all this unimportant in the end, just taste the chokolate by bringing the energies into the central channel. What else do you need?

Even if the techniques are different to those in AYP, the insights into effects of these techniques are not really different. And he speaks out of his own experiences, which makes his books authorative. In the end, good food supply for bhakti =P
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  4:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,

Same to you my friend!

It's no all time bestseller, but hopefully people enjoy the underlying message despite the dry parts steeped in tradition.
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  10:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Anthem, I'm not finding this dry at all...as a matter of fact, I just had my mind slightly blown by chapter 7, "Dissolving Self-Created Limitations". I'm going to have to put the book down and go to something else until I've digested this somewhat, and understand it in my own way.

I can see from what I've already read, tho, how Tantra can be a deadly trap if one has not dissolved their ego to a great extent...
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  5:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wigswest,

Glad you are enjoying it!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  06:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello again, just finished reading the book and it definitely has some good food for thought in it but the downfalls are too many...
i would rather read a more practical book on tibetan tantra, in case anyone knows of a tantric book similar in it's content to the way Yogani is sharing the AYP writings please do share.
i recently bought an audio book called "The jewel tree of Tibet" by Robert Thurman will feed u back on it when after i listen to it.
http://www.amazon.com/Jewel-Tree-Ti...p/0743257626

namaste
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananda,

You will not find a Buddhist Tantra book equivalent to AYP book. The tantra path basically requires demonstrations. The lamas won't give instructions on techniques unless one has received a lineage transmission (oral instructions). Buddhist teachings involve body, speech and mind. One needs all three to have a complete teachings (according to them).

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi adamant, thank you for the input and yes so it seems but maybe if it's possible one day you could write one and share it with the world

namaste

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
btw tantric buddhism has found it's way to Beirut also, there's a little group which has been established over here and they have a site running http://www.dharmabeirut.com/
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  10:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Ananda

The one book that gives the practice of vase breathing + inner fire from Lama Yeshe you find some posts above.

- http://www.amazon.com/Bliss-Inner-F...73629&sr=8-2

Clear light of bliss also gives detailed practice discriptions.

- http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Light-B...73697&sr=8-1

And the original texts to which both refer to frequently (like the Hatha Yoga Pradipika of tibetan tantra =P)

6 yogas of Naropa:

- http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Six-...73644&sr=8-3

A commentary from a great Master of that lineage to those 6 yogas:

- http://www.amazon.com/Six-Yogas-Nar...73644&sr=8-1

Their system is fairly overloaded with their assosiated astral and mental connections, but if you look at the essential techniques (completion stage or highest yoga tantra), you will see that they are almost identical to those of Hatha Yoga, Kriya Yoga and even AYP in some points.

And that is in very short:
- bring the energies into the central channel via vase breathing and meditating on inner fire
- when the nondual bliss arises, meditating about emptiness
- merging both and realizing

There are many more techniques, but these are the main ones. Some years ago I did some tests but was not very motivated to go on. Even if they were highly responsive, but also highly instable and indosable =)
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  03:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Holy, appreciate the links; if any of the grounding techniques these guys are using have crossed your way it would be a great benefit if you could share them here; we can never have enough of those.

namaste kind one(f)
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  12:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

hi adamant, thank you for the input and yes so it seems but maybe if it's possible one day you could write one and share it with the world

namaste

Yes. I will.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  5:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear brother and wishing you all the best...
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  11:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Ananda

grounding is a good question. They seem to do a lot of preparation, so grounding is perhaps not a major problem. They don't live busy and noisy lifestyles. They have a lot of fresh air, water and food. This does some great difference in friction levels right from the beginning.

I remember one of them saying, that the fire needs to be within the central channel. If it gets to other channels, burning happens. Within the centralchannel, bliss happens. So they train right from the start to visualize perfectly and concentrate singlepointedly to transform the energy fastly into bliss.

I tested this out too and there is some truth in it. If my visualization is more continuous and precise while SBP, bliss rises much more directly and smoothly than breathing up and down without that concentration and precision.

I really don't remember any other method or technique of grounding. Before the vase breathing and inner fire meditation, alternate nostril breathing is done, but only for 9 breaths. And as said,there is a lot of prework like visualization and concentration, e.g. visualizing the body as completely empty to reduce friction etc.

So the whole approach is a little bit different than the AYP-approach, which is for a broader audience at minimum time-amount.

Edited by - Holy on Mar 05 2010 12:04:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  02:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the feedback sweet Holy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000