Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Glad to join the forum, first post, intro
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Chakras

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  9:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ten Chakras's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings everyone of the AYP forums

Just a quick introduction

My Name is Steve. I've practiced Taoist Qigong for about six years now. I've just recently had some aspects of yoga introduced to me, and my practices are entering a whole new level of me understanding what the heck I'm doing.

Unfortunately, I don't always fit in at most message boards. I don't break a ton of rules or cause trouble in any traditional sense, but I have some very unique perspectives. Most message boards I come across have a 'group-think' that just isn't capable of both being open minded AND making sense. It's usually one or the other. The moderators are usually a sign of the community, and in my last month of lurking here, I've been REALLY impressed with Yogani and everyone else.

I was instantly attracted to AYP. Like many others, it was the no-bullplop approach to, and discussion of, Khechari. From the Taoist system I'm used to, there are 3 basic steps for the tongue, with Stage1 Khechari being the 3rd and final stage. In my own practice, I noticed some really interesting changes happening when I started moving further back on the soft palate. Then I learned about Khechari, and it seemed the obvious next step for me.

I've been snipping for almost a month, and I'm not quite in stage two, but I can just get my tongue behind my 'hangyball' without finger help. Just that alone is awesome. Although I'm not entirely familiar with AYP terms, I think I'm experiencing plenty of what AYP calls 'estatic conductivity'. My microcosmic orbit practice is really growing with Uddiyana/Nauli and Khechari, not just meditation, but also standing internal movement skill as well.

Even if I don't post much in the future, just wanted to say thanks to AYP for making some really great information available. I've learned a lot already, and I'll probably have to pick up a few books here too.

~Steve

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  10:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Yes it is very open minded here. There are only a few rules to prevent clutter and disruption.
I can't comment on your practices, but there are plenty who can.
Welcome to the forum Steve!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  10:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums Steve! I'm sure you will fit in just fine around here.

Just curious....do you have a regular meditation practice right now? Qigong, microcosmic orbit etc are all great as "energy cultivation" techniques, but without Inner Silence (found through a regular and consistant meditation practice) things can get a little hairy. It is best to have a balance of Inner Silence and "ecstatic conductivity"....the unification of these two aspects is very important. Just using energetic cultivation techniques can have some not so helpful ramifications in the grand scheme of things. If you haven't got a regular meditation practice, I recommend checking out the Deep Meditation book or the Deep Meditation lesson in the main lessons found here: http://www.aypsite.org/13.html ...If you DO have a regular meditation practice I still recommend reading the Deep Meditation lesson . I look forward to hearing more from you! Good luck!

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 07 2009 10:12:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  10:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ten Chakras !
With your background, have you ever seen or heard of this guy (Lama Dondrup Dorje)? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Wg...er_embedded#

He seems to be favoring Buddhism as the ultimate way to clean pure energy. His explanation of the practice near the end of that video concerns negative and positive ions and using the body to change the flow.

Do you know how he does it?

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  07:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums Steve.

Glad to have you with us. I will ask you the same question Carson has asked, are you doing any form of meditation? Doing energy practices without some form of meditation can throw things out of balance... too much shakti(energy), not enough Shiva(silence).

Also I am sure you will fit right in.

Glad to have you with us.

Wish you all the best with kechari and in your chosen path.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  08:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Steve, to the forum & AYP.

And good to have you here.
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  09:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Imho qigong isn't about building or getting a lot of specific type of energy (polarity)
It is much more about cultivating harmonious flow of energy... but yeah, stillness is important
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Atena.....
quote:
Originally posted by atena

Imho qigong isn't about building or getting a lot of specific type of energy (polarity)
It is much more about cultivating harmonious flow of energy... but yeah, stillness is important

Whatever you feel qigong is "more about" it is, even by your own admission, about cultivating energy, not Silence. And ANY energy cultivating techniques need to be balanced with Silence cultivation techniques or there will be an imbalance. Not tryingto argue with you, just emphasize the importance of meditation.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Steve
Go to Top of Page

Ten Chakras

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  12:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ten Chakras's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the welcoming replies :)

CarlsonZi and Shanti, I admittedly do not practice any yogic meditation yet. My practice has certainly involved meditative cultivation of what is referred to as 'no mind', I have no idea what kind of crossover that has with the term 'inner silence' in yoga though. I personally find it impossible to experience clean healthy energy flow and healthy pure awareness while the chattering 'monkey mind' is active, and when the desires of the ego are in control. Side effects are no joke. Are we talking about the same thing?

Even if we are talking about the same thing, I'm sure my own practiced would be supercharged by learning the yogic perspective on it. If not the same thing, then there's even more for me to learn, which is more exciting than daunting to me.

Tibetan_Ice, I have come across videos from that particular man before. As I mentioned, keeping an open mind is important, and making sense is of equal importance too. With respect to that, I can only say that it is my personal intuitive opinion that this man is partially a charlatan. I truly believe that what he is doing IS possible, however, I don't see any particular bio-mechanical advantage within his energy structure that would allow him to wield such large amounts of energy in the manner that he does. I have not come across one case of 'no touch' skill that has been proven real against anyone other than the 'master's' students. Surely he can demonstrate this skill in a way that doesn't require us to trust the relationship between him and his students, right? ..But it is only my intuitive opinion, you are welcome to believe what you want about him, and I wont judge you for it. Ultimately, all I can claim is that I don't know.

I will admit, most of his explanations are very excellent, and are somewhat consistent with what I'm used to. If I saw his explanations apart the video of his students running around all crazy-like, I'd probably really enjoy his teachings. ...Actually, I did enjoy his speech. It was quite good.

Whether I'm right or wrong about him, making other people fly around the room without touching them like that is of no interest to me whatsoever. It's just not my area of expertise

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum

Yoganis books are awsome. Beautifully simple......to the point...handy to carry anywhere....and...great reminders of the fact that balance is what provides for long term consistency in practices....which again is the key to the ever ongoing deepening......

Wishing you a peaceful mind, calm heart and relaxed body
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  12:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We cross posted Steve

quote:
I have no idea what kind of crossover that has with the term 'inner silence' in yoga though. I personally find it impossible to experience clean healthy energy flow and healthy pure awareness while the chattering 'monkey mind' is active, and when the desires of the ego are in control. Side effects are no joke. Are we talking about the same thing?

Even when the chattering mind has stilled....there is always a deepening....inner silence is...unlimited in all directions. So a still mind is one level....but it is possible to dive deeper than that. Beyond mind...is literally beyond mind. When mind is "swallowed" by Heart.....all intelligence....all love...all clarity..... is magnified because it is unified......and yet there is still the unending deepening......it never "ends" anywhere.....and yet never really moves anywhere either. It is not to grasp.

That is why Deep Meditation is so powerful....via the mantra....the mind is transported beyond itself....and like this the cultivation of inner silence is the same as the ongoing touch of the wetness of the ocean enabling all kinds of flowers to bloom.....anywhere at all times NOW

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  1:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve....

Katrine has written a great post....lots of wisdom in there...but none the less I will still add my two cents since I like to talk a lot ... (it's part of still being at least partially engaged in a relationship with the ego most likely, hahaha)

quote:
Originally posted by Ten Chakras

CarlsonZi and Shanti, I admittedly do not practice any yogic meditation yet.

Then I would HIGHLY suggest adding the practice of AYP Deep Meditation to your sadhana.

quote:

My practice has certainly involved meditative cultivation of what is referred to as 'no mind', I have no idea what kind of crossover that has with the term 'inner silence' in yoga though.

The cultivation of Inner Silence (IMO) creates space....space to react as you wish....space to witness Life and not be overtaken by it...space to be who you truly are underneath all the conditioning/concepts/ideas/beliefs/ego. With the regular cultivation of Inner Silence (through Deep Meditation) you begin to get closer and closer to that which you truly are: Pure Bliss Consciousness. You begin to notice that you don't react as you "instinctually" did in the past, you are more in control of your emotions, you are more calm, peaceful, and silent inside. Less of the "monkey mind" ruling your life. My personal experience of Yoga has brought me to the understanding that asanas (postures) are meant to bring the body under control and make it easy to sit for long periods of time comfortably. This is why asanas should be done before pranayama (breathing exercises) and meditation. After asanas, pranayam is done so that you can open the nervous system up for the "seeds" of Deep Meditation. (I believe Yogani uses the analogy of using pranayama to "plow the soils of the nervous system so that you can plant the seeds of Deep Meditation") To do energy cultivation or pranayam and NOT follow it up with Deep Meditation you are opening up the nervous system but you may be planting seeds in there that may not be helpful in the long run. I have met (and read) many practitioners who only practice energy cultivation and they are the most egocentric people I have ever met/heard. This (IMO) is because they are planting the wrong seeds after their practices. To do energy cultivation exercises (or pranayama) and then head straight out into regular Life, you are only going to reinforce the ego/conditioning/beliefs/ideas etc. This is why it is important to do pranayam (or energy cultivation) and then follow that up with some Inner Silence cultivation. That way you know what kind of seeds you are planting in your opened up nervous system. And then it is always important to follow up your meditation with a decent period of rest time so that the obstructions that have been loosened by your sadhana have ample time to fully dissolve before heading out into regular daily activity. The AYP system has a really important order to it, and I think this is one of the things that sets AYP apart from a lot of other Yoga (and other spiritual) systems. With the correct order of practices and the right emphasis on Self-Pacing (watching for energetic overload, including enough grounding activities on a daily basis and in general taking the motto "Less is More") it is much easier to make smooth and efficient spiritual progress. At least this is my experience with the AYP system...something I never had with any other system I have tried.

quote:

I personally find it impossible to experience clean healthy energy flow and healthy pure awareness while the chattering 'monkey mind' is active, and when the desires of the ego are in control. Side effects are no joke. Are we talking about the same thing?

I think so.

So if you want to experience "clean healthy energy flow" it is going to be necessary to take the "monkey mind" out of the picture, no? How exactly do you plan on doing that? Deep Meditation is not only an effective way, it is also powerfully efficient way of doing this. With twice daily cultivation of Inner Silence through Deep Meditation the "monkey mind" quickly runs out of places to hide. It is seen for what it is, and Deep Meditation gives you the space to choose Silence instead of engaging the mind, like we as humans habitually do. At least this is how it has worked for me.

quote:

Even if we are talking about the same thing, I'm sure my own practiced would be supercharged by learning the yogic perspective on it. If not the same thing, then there's even more for me to learn, which is more exciting than daunting to me.

There is always more to learn/un-learn. It never ends. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading more from you.

Much Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 08 2009 1:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  3:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Ten man. Reading this thread, I am reminded of the story about the Buddha encountering all the various sadhus along the Ganges and the forest of practices and views: a jungle of views. It's amazing how that jungle has grown.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Whatever you feel qigong is "more about" it is, even by your own admission, about cultivating energy, not Silence. And ANY energy cultivating techniques need to be balanced with Silence cultivation techniques or there will be an imbalance. Not tryingto argue with you, just emphasize the importance of meditation.

Some also include cultivating silence under that cultivation of energy, but thanks

Edited by - atena on Dec 08 2009 3:31:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  7:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When one is empty, one is like the lowest place and cosmic oceans of energy flow down through you with inestimable force.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  5:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Most here haven't practiced the micro cosmic orbit, so their suggestions don't really match.

DM in AYP is also energy cultivation and silence cultivation at the same time, so is the MCO. You concentrate on each chakra for some time, bringing the mind back whenever you are off and then after some minutes you jump to the next chakra. After having done some routes, you start tracing the orbit routing with attention, feeling and mind which is also a kind of concentration.

But what happens after a good session of MCO is, that you totally dive into nomind and can easily stay there for minutes or longer without breath.

The technique itself doesn't go very deep karma-cleansing-wise, but has huge effects very fast (feels like "enlightenment on the physical plane") and brings rock stable balance. The only downside is, fused with DM ( did that for some months too, 2 years ago) the effects are insane. No breath all the day, no mental functioning, bad school degrees =P

So better not mix up and enjoy what you already practice. The hint to stay in meditation (for you that would be resting in nomind afterwards before getting up) is still suggested. That's what everyone here tried to make clear, out of everyones bad experienes with overkill kundalini activity ( even if such things are no problem with MCO).

Edited by - Holy on Dec 09 2009 7:03:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000