Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Why??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  10:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Before I log off I need to ask something I have been wondering about lately...

Why is it that if you want or EXPECT something it does not happen??? What is happening that makes it not manifest?? Doesn't it say somewhere "Knock and the door shall be opened" or "Ask and you shall receive" or something like that??? Wouldn't you be giving that something that you seek more energy and it would then be attracted by the energy (like when you fear something you give it energy and then it is attracted to you)??

Why???

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  10:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

Why is it that if you want or EXPECT something it does not happen??? What is happening that makes it not manifest?? Doesn't it say somewhere "Knock and the door shall be opened" or "Ask and you shall receive" or something like that??? Wouldn't you be giving that something that you seek more energy and it would then be attracted by the energy (like when you fear something you give it energy and then it is attracted to you)??

Why???

Hi BellaMente,
There are many reasons:

1) Karma. "you can't always get what you want, you get what you need.." (thanks Mick!)

2) What you desire is not in accord with Divine Will. Have you ever noticed that sometimes things come very easily, they kind of flow and events help out along the way? Have you ever noticed that sometimes, blocks arise, things slowing you down, causing road blocks, despair, hopelessness and non-fulfillment? If you go with the flow the whole universe gets behind you. And if it doesn't maybe there is a reason for it that is greater than your desire/need.

3) Let it go. Don't focus on the result, show your detachment to the result, really don't care. Then, it will happen (or not, who cares..).

4) Sometimes you do get what you want, it only takes time for the universe to respond.. :) So be careful what you ask for!

5) Sometimes someone else is attracting what you want more than you.

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  11:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Because expecting something engages the mind that you need to shut off. It's OK to expect or ask BEFORE meditation if you can completely let go of that during.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  11:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

Why???

Hi Bellamente,

The expectations of limited mind are, in some form, inherently selfish, almost always. That's said as a description, not as any kind of a judgment.

The constriction we think of as "me" is trying to get something that it thinks it wants or needs.

Thinking is the cloud cover that blocks the flow of the infinite manifestation of universal shakti (power).

Universal shakti is always present; clouds are just water vapor, after all ... and that water vapor can block light, or reflect it ... or be open enough to let it shine through.

Expectation is constriction; it's basically "anti-manifestation".

Now, you may be using "expectation" slightly differently than I am; if your sense of it is looser .... more like hope ... that's closer to "knock and it shall be opened to you" .... but still not necessarily "all the way there".

The manifestation of more than you ever dreamed possible arises when you get out of the way; it comes through openness, allowing, surrender, relaxing.

Then, the universal power can shine through, and creatively fill your life with more light, beauty, peace, grace and love than you can dream to be possible.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wholeheartedly agree with Kirtanman.
Expectations are made of words. The purpose of words is restriction.
As an example, if I say "blue", it eliminates all other colors that are not blue.
So if I imagine God or bliss as a blue thing, I am stopping it from being all other colors.

This is over simplified to make it easy to understand.

But the concept remains the same. All words restrict.
If you look up bhakti in the yoga FAQ, you will see that it is a very general concept that doesn't restrict too much. And it is the kind of expectation that "ask and ye shall receive" refers to.
You may have learned already that it doesn't apply to prayers like "Give me some money"!
Because we are here to learn. We have to learn it's not all about me.
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  7:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well that makes a lot more sense... Very informative, thanks everybody.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  03:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bella.

Great post Kirtanman!!

Here is a more "New Agey" perspective:

In the "New Age" perspective they say that what you focus on in the Now "expands", so if you are thinking that right now you don't have something and you need it, you're looking for it sometime in the future. The future never really arrives because all you have is the Now. And you continue to think and focus on the thought that you don't have something Now and you need it. And so, the energy of the "don't have it!" expands. The need expands. And there is an uneasiness and suffering. It's also like two people: If say there are two people, and one is really wanting to love and nurture the other, but the other is all the time saying and thinking: "he doesn't really love me, he doesn't care about me. why doesn't he care? I need him to care. I want more from him." All the time. Then there is no "match" between the two people or the energies. Then the loving relationship just isn't going to be. It's going to be where the two energies "meet". Or exactly what the two people "Allow" in the interaction.

Allowing and Acceptance are really the things that bring all the good to you. So "allowing" not having enlightenment IS a part of enlightenment.......

(:
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  07:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Yonatan,
A healer once taught me "To make something happen in your life you must be able to accept the exact opposite."

This is the reason most poor people stay poor, and the government throwing money at them doesn't help; it's their beliefs and thoughts that are lacking, not money.
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  11:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"To make something happen in your life you must be able to accept the exact opposite."

Wow...That just confirmed everything I have been going through in my personal life... Thank you for that Ether....

Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  10:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bellamente, actually it has been posited that the more correct translation for the biblical passages you quoted would be "keep knocking and the door will be opened to you" and "keep asking and you shall receive", making persistence the key ingredient in the spiritual search...as Yogani has alluded to countless times ;)
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  11:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's interesting... I like that version better, thanks

Ain't it funny how such a small change can make such a huge difference?

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But still, don't have expectations during meditation. . .
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  7:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol I wont thanks for the reminder.. if anything there are things I don't want to happen during practice so I don't think about it because I don't want to give it any energy!

I do have hope for advancing my spirituality but thats not something I necessarily expect to happen in a short amount of time and I don't really think about it. The only problem I have which I learned from the above posts is that I try to attach labels/words/ideas to God for myself or when explaining my beliefs to others, I know this is 'putting god in a box' but I don't know how to get around this... I mean, how do you describe such an abstract belief to people without words? How can I pray if I have no idea what I am praying to?

Go to Top of Page

seamus23

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2009 :  06:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit seamus23's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I rarely try to explain my beliefs. They will grow and change as my understanding grows and changes, and they are also particular to my own perspective at this moment in time.

As for prayer, sometimes I direct it to Universal Consciousness (whatever that is )sometimes to a god form or archetype, with the understanding that each is only a single facet of an infinitely faceted jewel. In my opinion, the effort of devotion is often more important than the particular object of that devotion
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2009 :  6:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yonatan matches it perfectly. It is not a belief, you have to look how this process happens intimately. The moment you want it, you send "I lack", "I am empty", the thing I want is not physically here right now. And this you experience the exact very moment.

But with this wanting something happens. You create the mental blueprint for something that can happen. And it happens after you have stopped wanting it for some time. The mental image is still floating and the "I don't have it right now"-field is missing. So it happens. Mostly a little bit different, mixed with other prior thought-elements. You can observe all of this. You can find out about anything you are asking here.

Edit: Would like to correct this one =) All this is within cause-effect-observation-logic... The truth might be completely different =P

Edited by - Holy on Nov 23 2009 11:46:44 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000