Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Good Paragraph I found
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Jigmé Lingpa’s differentiation of the two approaches is based on the distinction, particular to the Instruction Series (man ngag sde) of the Great Perfection, between the samsaric, conceptual mind (sems), and nirvanic, non-conceptual awareness (rig pa). The meditation practices of the Instruction Series found in the Longchen Nyingtig proceed on the basis of this distinction, which comes from the earliest Instruction Series scriptures, the Seventeen Tantras.[21] Therefore it is not surprising that Jigmé Lingpa insists upon the importance of the distinction. He argues that, if the meditator attempts to stop conceptual activity without distinguishing between mind (sems) and awareness (rig pa), the result is a blank indeterminacy (lung ma bstan). In awareness, he argues, conceptualisation is neutralised in a state that is “like a crystal ball”, a simile which points to clarity and vividness, rather than indeterminacy and blankness.[22]

I added the boldness for emphasis

http://earlytibet.com/about/hashang-mahayana/

So you just need to find the clarity and vividness of the present moment and distinguish it from the thought stream.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Nov 12 2009 7:03:39 PM

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  2:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is pretty much the understanding I came to in 2007, when I had my Adyashanti/Ramana style enlightenment.

But in those days I called the clarity and vividness of the present moment "Self"

So is Self and rigpa the same thing? It seems to be....

Edited by - alwayson2 on Nov 14 2009 2:15:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  05:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Were you following a Buddhist/Vajrayana path in 2007 as well when you had your awakening?
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  11:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No.

I was reading Robert Adams (Silence of the Heart), Bhagavad Gita, Michael Langford.

I only started reading about Buddhism to confirm my understanding. Not that the understanding needs confirming. The understanding is self-confirming.

When I read Dzogchen texts, I feel like I could have written those myself. All the techniques in them, were ones I actually did during my awakening out of instinct. But this is not mystical coincidence. It all comes out of the Divine or whatever you call it. It has living wisdom.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Nov 15 2009 11:51:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000