Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 queston
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  05:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

Can anyone tell me the difference between self-realation and enlightment?
Are they one and the same, or are there differences?

Thanks,
nirmal

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  07:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's the same. Self realization are words used by followers of Yogananda and others. Enlightenment is a concept used by quite a few other systems. Realizing who you are is a big part of the path of enlightenment. Both concepts are misleading though because they imply that there is a certain final state that completes the transition. Spirituality is a path, not a goal. There ARE transitions that seem at the time to be all you would ever need,
but later you will find something further.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  10:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nirmal

Hi everybody,

Can anyone tell me the difference between self-realation and enlightment?
Are they one and the same, or are there differences?

Thanks,
nirmal

Hi Nirmal,

Yes, I agree with Ether: they're the same.

Some systems use "realization" to mean the first experience, and enlightenment to be the ongoing/permanent condition ... but even then ... they're the same.

I'd go a bit farther, and say that there are a lot of synonyms for the pinnacle condition taught by all wisdom traditions:

Enlightenment, Liberation, Self-Realization, God-Realization, Realization, Pure Bliss Consciousness, Gnosis, Jnana, Christ-Consciousness, God-Consciousness, Buddha Nature, etc. etc. etc.

All these terms indicate knowing ourselves as the limitless awareness we each and all actually are, now.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  04:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kensho, Satori, Nirvana, .....

_/\_
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  11:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jivan mukti
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  06:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Surf's Up!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000