Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Books on Patanjali (Raja) Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlipAsso

Portugal
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  3:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlipAsso's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know any book, free e-books prefered, on raja yoga.
My objective is to have a balanced yoga practice acording to the eight angas of patanjali.
I have B.K.S. Iyengar's illustrated light on yoga, which is a good book on asana and pranayama.
But I would like to read a bit more on yama and niyama, and also on the meditation part.
thx in advance

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Flip,neighbour

Wellcome here..

Ayp lesson cover all the eight limbs of yoga described by patanjali.Yogani explains it very well in the lessons.

Hope it helps a little...

And yama and niyama,you can read....but i think it comes naturally as a conseciuence of increasing inner silence.Dm is the main and only tool here for getting inner silence.Its the basis of all the building.

I recomend you to take a look to the lessons.

adios.

miguel.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 04 2009 5:09:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  10:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.arlingtoncenter.org/Sans...-English.pdf

Other good works are Hatha Yoga Pradipika from Swami Swatmarama, a disciple of Gorakshanatha also known as Babaji in the Autobiography.

Gherananda Samhita and Shiva Samhita are also very good works. Within the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, you find a general explanation without specific techniques. If you read the other ones, you encounter many techniques, also from which AYP uses some.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

http://www.arlingtoncenter.org/Sans...-English.pdf

Other good works are Hatha Yoga Pradipika from Swami Swatmarama, a disciple of Gorakshanatha also known as Babaji in the Autobiography.

Gherananda Samhita and Shiva Samhita are also very good works. Within the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, you find a general explanation without specific techniques. If you read the other ones, you encounter many techniques, also from which AYP uses some.

Hi Holy,
Thank you very much for the link to Patanjali's Yoga. I like this version because it distinguishes between consciousness and awareness. It is easier to understand.
I have five books about Patanjali's Yoga Sutras and each one is slightly different.
There are also more translations at http://www.scribd.com

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is an excelllen version of patanjali yoga sutras also: Yoga sutras of patanjali and the 18 siddhas by marshall govindan.
Go to Top of Page

FlipAsso

Portugal
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  7:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlipAsso's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your reply's.
I've come across some translations of the Sutras.
I enjoyed this one which has a buddhist flavor..
Which leads me to another question:
-Is the practice of mindfulness, passively observing one's mind, compatible with Raja Yoga?
I think I've posted this elsewhere..
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Raja Yoga is concerned about the later steps of the yoga limbs; concentration, meditation and samadhi. And obersving the mind is a practice that goes over from concentration, staying as the observer to meditation and samadhi.

I also have seen many different translations and would not say, that the one I linked is the best. I also have the one of Govinda Marshall, which is very good. But when it comes to comments, I like to read books like that without them. It can change the original meaning easily which is best compared with own experience.

But as said, I would encourage to look for the other ones as well.

e.g. http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Hatha_Yoga_Pradipika

One of the big classics and nearly no one has read it =P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000