Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Has anyone noticed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  2:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone noticed that for EVERY single thought, there is either affinity or aversion?

let me know if I am wrong

Edited by - alwayson2 on Oct 26 2009 2:22:33 PM

standingstone

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit standingstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If your saying each is positive or negative, what about neutral?

the thought: "I have to go to the store and get some eggs"

could have no major positive attraction or negative revulsion, it's just there. actually of the 50,000 thoughts the average person has each day, most are probably neutral

Im pretty sure 50,000 was an National Science Foundation statistic from a few years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  6:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sensations, thoughts, and feelings are either pleasant, neutral or painful. The mind responds to objects corresponding to these three: there are three modes the mind takes with respect to any object, attachment, aversion or confusion. The practice of meditation is to neither incline toward nor away from any..., By not so inclining one destroys attachment and aversion, gathers the mind and then makes a penetrative stab at confusion, and uproot the root of all affliction.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Oct 27 2009 3:15:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  1:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

Has anyone noticed that for EVERY single thought, there is either affinity or aversion?

It's a great observation. But the more useful one is to turn it around: where is affinity or aversion in the absence of thought?
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  3:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought is always there. It is more useful to notice the phenomena as they are.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Oct 29 2009 3:43:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  4:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

It's a great observation. But the more useful one is to turn it around: where is affinity or aversion in the absence of thought?

Well MY understanding of Dzogchen (not official obviously) is that thoughts are not to be avoided.

Its about being centered in the NOW to such a degree (which is already and always "accomplished"), that thoughts sort of bounce off you without any affinity or aversion.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Oct 29 2009 4:21:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  4:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stay with it.

When your mind neither grasps nor rejects, thoughts have no effect. Avoiding them is anti-meditation. Accepting them is anti-meditation. However, when in meditation, the thoughts dissolve. And one does rest in a thoughtless state. It is just wrong to be attached to this state and feel that it must be maintained. No grasping.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Oct 29 2009 4:35:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  8:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Konchok Ösel Dorje

Thought is always there. It is more useful to notice the phenomena as they are.

I guess you read my posting as meaning "stop your mind and then see if you experience affinity or aversion".

That's not what I meant. I'm suggesting a classic self-inquiry.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  12:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am rejecting classic self-inquiry.
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  3:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Self-inquiry works, only in hindsight i.e. after you have realized non-duality.

I realized the non-dual, but I won't claim to have realized Dzogchen since I am not a Dzogchen practitioner.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Oct 30 2009 6:41:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  7:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Konchok Ösel Dorje

I am rejecting classic self-inquiry.

Duly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The master asked, "Why?"
"What are you talking about?" replied disciple.
"There is nothing. Do you understand?"
Disciple responds, "Yes."
"No you don't."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000