Enlightenment Milestones
 Have you experienced Samadhi?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystic_robert

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit mystic_robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Writings from 6 major religions say direct contact with God and ecstasy are the same. Another word for it is samadhi. I want to experience this so that I will get knowledge about what I will experience when I die and then not be worried about death. One definition of "know" is "to perceive directly" or "have experience of". If you have knowledge of what comes after death, please give it to me. If you know how to get such knowledge, please tell me. If you know how to get ecstasy or samadhi, please tell me. How did you do it? How long did it take?

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  9:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can find it here at AYP
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  11:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mystic_robert

If you have knowledge of what comes after death, please give it to me. If you know how to get such knowledge, please tell me. If you know how to get ecstasy or samadhi, please tell me. How did you do it? How long did it take?

All good questions...I have no answers...but I think it is more about the path...and not the endgame.
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  12:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You already know, you just forgot...
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  8:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Writings from 6 major religions say direct contact with God and ecstasy are the same. Another word for it is samadhi. I want to experience this so that I will get knowledge about what I will experience when I die and then not be worried about death. One definition of "know" is "to perceive directly" or "have experience of". If you have knowledge of what comes after death, please give it to me. If you know how to get such knowledge, please tell me. If you know how to get ecstasy or samadhi, please tell me. How did you do it? How long did it take?

Hi Mystic Robert,

Welcome to the AYP Forum.

Ecstasy (along with some wonderfully peace-inducing inner silence) can happen fairly rapidly after starting AYP.

Samadhi usually takes a bit longer, but we have practitioners here who have, and do, experience all vareties of samadhi, up to and including realization/awareness of true nature.

As far as what happens after death .... it can't really be answered in a way the mind can grasp ... and even if the mind *could* grasp it, that wouldn't really do you any good, anyway.

I can tell you, however, that you can know for yourself.

And, I can tell you that you'll like the answer.

More than you can imagine.

Literally.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  7:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Chinese philosopher and founder of Taoism, Lao Tze, said, "Those who say do not know; those who know do not say" That being the case (haha--like saying, "Everything I say is a lie!"), then how do we tell who have achieved Self-Realization from those just shilling for a buck? You can't. A Zen roshi I studied with, when asked, "Can a dog know its own true nature?" replied, "Pretty smart dog." Little could I guess then, 40 years ago, that those three words could unlock all the mysteries of Existence... It would just take 35 years for the words to sink it, sprout roots and grow to a size sufficient to recognize the fruits and enjoy the sweetness.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  9:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't search for ecstasy.

"Let go of the past, let go of the future, let go of the present, and cross over to the farther shore. With mind wholly liberated, you shall come no more to birth and death." Dhammapada
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  06:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I experience samadhi(or what I understand to be samadhi) almost every time I meditate.Be aware that there are many levels of samadhi and so one cannot generalise.For me I experience it as an almost comatose way where I have no knowledge of surroundings although often things around me can bring me out of this state.You might be disappointed to know that the yogic view of what enlightenment actually means may not be what you or many perceive it to be.It is simply a state of consciousness that allows us to see(and experience) the world in a different way than what one 'normally' does.The answer for you (and indeed for all of us) is simply sadhana on a daily basis and the universes blessing that we may experience before we die.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Mystic Robert,

By the way, I agree 100% with what Konchok and Dave (Riptiz) said in their posts.

In the interests of being brief, I left out my perspective on those matters (not seeking ecstasy {Konchok}, and being aware that there are various levels of samadhi, and that samadhi is a natural result of regular meditation practices -- and that while there are general categories, everyone experiences samadhi someone differently{Dave/Riptiz}).

And so: non-attachment is important; if you're actively seeking ecstasy (or samadhi), you'll be looking for it, waiting for it, and likely comparing any experiences resulting from yoga practices with what you think ecstasy or samadhi is "supposed" to be like ... and may very well end up frustrated.

The main point of my initial comments was that: everything you mentioned wanting, and wanting to know .... is available via AYP, or similar sets of practices.

However, it's kind of like exercising to get health benefits:

If you don't start a regular routine, and basically forget about it ... your mind's analysis may well derail your efforts.

If you do start a regular routine and "keep your head on straight" ... at the very least, over a reasonable period of time for meditation (a few months; a year {?} .... everyone's different .... at the very least, you'll be very pleased with the results).

And ... you can take it "all the way home" ... the "end point" of all religions and paths: unitive awareness (which, ultimately, isn't someplace you "get" or attain; it's an unveiling of your inherent true nature).

I hope these comments help, too.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  6:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all the comments above.
I would like to add that fear of death is an illusion that your mind gets caught up in.
If you examine the nature of fear closely you will see that it is not what it appears to be.
Fear is addicting, and can grow the more you give energy to it. not just the fear of death; fear of anything. If you try something like jumping off the high dive board at a swimming pool you will learn about this. If you decide to jump before you climb up, and jump right away you will be fine. But if you stand at the top and don't jump, the fear will grow until you won't be able to.
So death is not what you are afraid of, it is fear. Hard to understand.

But the only solution is to meditate twice a day, and begin the path that calms your mind.
Or you can join a religion that tells you wonderful things about after-death. Some people practice both.
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  06:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dear Mystic Robert

In what way do you imagine that you are not in direct contact with God? How could you possibly not be in direct contact with God?

'Not being in direct contact with God' is imaginary, although it is perhaps more helpful an imagining than 'being in direct contact with God'. Drop all such imagining.

Explore and find, as a matter of present experience, that about you which has been unchanging before 'birth' and during 'life', that which was totally unaffected by this 'birth'. Exclude all experienced phenomena, one by one, which apparently started with your 'birth', and then you will know what has always been, and always will be, and the answer to your question of what comes after 'death'.

chinna

Edited by - chinna on Nov 16 2009 07:01:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  12:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this is more of a nuts and bolts answer and doesn't promise eternal life, but instead eternal existence according to science.

1. The Law of Conservation of Energy states roughly, "energy cannot be created nor can it be destroyed" therefore it has always existed and always will exist.

2. E=MC2 basically says energy is matter and matter is energy. Which means everything including you Mystic Robert are energy which will always exist in some form or another, meaning you are immortal in a sense.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000