Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Nisargadatta Maharaj Quotes on Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  11:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

"There can be no defeat in Yoga. This battle is always won, for it is a battle between the true and the false. The false has no chance."

"There is no question of failure, neither in the short run nor in the long. It is like traveling a long and arduous road in an unknown country. Of all the innumerable steps there is only the last which brings you to your destination. Yet you will not consider all previous steps as failures. Each brought you nearer to your goal, even when you had to turn back to by-pass an obstacle.

In reality each step brings you to your goal, because to be always on the move, learning, discovering, unfolding, is your eternal destiny.

Living is life's only purpose.

The self does not identify itself with success or failure -- the very idea of becoming this or that is unthinkable. The self understands that success and failure are relative and related, that they are the very warp and weft of life. Learn from both and go beyond. If you have not learnt, repeat."

"Once you know with absolute certainty that nothing can trouble you but your own imagination, you come to disregard your desires and fears, concepts and ideas and live by truth alone."

"Nobody ever fails in Yoga. It is all a matter of the rate of progress. It is slow in the beginning and rapid in the end.

When one is fully matured, realization is explosive. It takes place spontaneously, or at the slightest hint.

The quick is not better than the slow. Slow ripening and rapid flowering alternate. Both are natural and right.

Yet, all this is so in the mind only.

As I see it, there is really nothing of the kind. In the great mirror of consciousness images arise and disappear and only memory gives them continuity. And memory is material -- destructible, perishable, transient. On such flimsy foundations we build a sense of personal existence -- vague, intermittent, dreamlike.

This vague persuasion: 'I-am-so-and-so' obscures the changeless state of pure awareness and makes us believe that we are born to suffer and to die."

"Consciousness and unconsciousness, while in the body depend on the condition of the brain. But the self is beyond both, beyond the brain, beyond the mind. The fault of the instrument is no reflection on its user."

"Why should a liberated man necessarily follow conventions? The moment he becomes predictable, he cannot be free."

"He who knows himself has no doubts about it. Nor does he care whether others recognize his state or not. Rare is the realized man who discloses his realization and fortunate are those who have met him, for he does it for their abiding welfare."

"Time is in the mind, space is in the mind. The law of cause and effect is also a way of thinking. In reality all is here and now and all is one. Multiplicity and diversity are in the mind only."

"I am beyond all dreams. I am the light in which all dreams appear and disappear. I am both inside and outside the dream. Just as a man having headache knows the ache and also knows that he is not the ache, so do I know the dream, myself dreaming and myself not dreaming -- all at the same time. I am what I am before, during and after the dream. But what I see in dream, l am not."

"There is no need of a way out! Don't you see that a way out is also a part of the dream? All you have to do is to see the dream as dream."

"Your sincerity will guide you. Devotion to the goal of freedom and perfection will make you abandon all theories and systems and live by wisdom, intelligence and active love. Theories may be good as starting points, but must be abandoned, the sooner -- the better."

"Concentration, full confidence, pure will! With such assets no wonder one attains in no time.

This Yoga of will is all right for the mature seeker, who has shed all desires but one. After all, what is will but steadiness of heart and mind. Given such steadfastness all can be achieved."

"Whatever name you give it: will, or steady purpose, or onepointedness of the mind, you come back to earnestness, sincerity, honesty.

When you are in dead earnest, you bend every incident, every second of your life to your purpose. You do not waste time and energy on other things. You are totally dedicated, call it will, or love, or plain honesty.

We are complex beings, at war within and without. We contradict ourselves all the time, undoing today the work of yesterday. No wonder we are stuck. A little of integrity would make a lot of difference."

"It is all due to weakness of the mind and disintegration of the brain. Collect and strengthen your mind and you will find that your thoughts and feelings, words and actions will align themselves in the direction of your will."

"There is no chaos in the world, except the chaos which your mind creates. It is self-created in the sense that at its very center is the false idea of oneself as a thing different and separate from other things.

In reality you are not a thing, nor separate.

You are the infinite potentiality; the inexhaustible possibility. Because you are, all can be. The universe is but a partial manifestation of your limitless capacity to become."

"My actual experience is not different. It is my evaluation and attitude that differ. I see the same world as you do, but not the same way. There is nothing mysterious about it. Everybody sees the world through the idea he has of himself. As you think yourself to be, so you think the world to be. If you imagine yourself as separate from the world, the world will appear as separate from you and you will experience desire and fear. I do not see the world as separate from me and so there is nothing for me to desire, or fear."

All quotes are from I AM THAT

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OM NAMO NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ!
OM NAMAH SIVAYA!
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  11:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AYAMAYAM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  12:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"if one thinks of one's self as free, then one is free; thinking thus makes it so."

something close to a quotation from the Ashtavakra Gita

thank you for the lovely morning K-man gtg to work now...

namaste(f)

p.s: the (f) stands for the offering of a flower.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  10:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

"if one thinks of one's self as free, then one is free; thinking thus makes it so."

something close to a quotation from the Ashtavakra Gita

thank you for the lovely morning K-man gtg to work now...

namaste(f)

p.s: the (f) stands for the offering of a flower.

???
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi konshok, and i am glad you asked.

the text from which i quoted is purely advaitic and advaita as we all know is the way of the intellect and it is through samsara first that we are pointed toward Truth or know Truth.

IMHO there is no other reason for samsara to be but for the divine to realize itself.

as Sri Papaji says: all of this in the world of Maya exists to point at me.
again this is a close saying to what the person originally said but i am sure you get the picture.

in this case it's the thought of being free and the continuous repetition of it will fuel the bhakti and burn karma high and low and that in it's own terms will lead into some practices or perhaps an enlightened being or a certain path and eventually it will all lead to a thought free state a state of simple... well it's unknown and it's a state of being which no matter how much we would describe it that doesn't give it due.

namaste(f)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000