AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Here's a simple proof of nonduality
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  1:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Points are dimensionless.

Objects consist of points.

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  9:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Suryakant

Your argument assumes a multiplicity of points. The points in objects are not identical in space. So you haven't proved it. No matter. You are going about it wrong.

Logical proof will not get you to non-duality. Far too much weight is given to the power of logic. Most people do not understand the limits of logic.

What gets you non-duality is an investigation of the nature of the mind. Duality of mind and body or of subject and object is purely conceptual (it is an erroneous assumption).

The mind is a phenomenon arising from the physical body, like digestion. There is no digestion apart from the digestive system. There is no mind apart from the nervous system. The mind and the world have not separation. Direct experience of this fact of life is what everything is about.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  10:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Objects don't really consist of points. A point is an imaginary geometric concept invented by man in order to break objects down so they can be mathematically analyzed. They are dimensionless because someone defined them as such. They have to be so measuring objects is easy.
But good thought - objects consist of more space between molecules than the solids in them.

But like Konchok is saying; the mind and thinking only exists and operates in the dual world.

Edited by - Etherfish on Oct 09 2009 10:27:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  10:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Konchok Ösel Dorje

quote:

You are going about it wrong.

Konchok...your statement proves one thing...

Suryakant ...I enjoyed your post!
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  12:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  02:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
existence exists, it has no opposite
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  09:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

quote:

quote:

You are going about it wrong.

Konchok...your statement proves one thing...

Hahaha
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

Huh? You can't possibly establish this.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  09:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Well, non-existence.
Don't all things have opposites? It's the nature of duality, and existence. I think the essence of reality is vibration; waves. I think that is what we will find molecules are made of. And vibration is dual by nature, like existence.

The consciousness of God creates vibration in the life force. The frequency of vibration determines how it will manifest, in other words what objects appear, or what elements manifest, or whether we perceive earth, fire, air, or water.

So my theory is that silence in meditation can bring us to perception of the life force that is not vibrating. It still contains the consciousness of God without the intent to vibrate.
This could be called "non-duality", but words are dual by nature, so by defining it you create an opposite, which is no life force.
This is purely imaginary, because if there were no life force, nobody would be there to define or perceive it.

Of course the scientific mind would say it is possible for "no life force" to exist "over there"; in a different place than where life force exists. But this is just word play because without life force there is no "over there"; in other words space or dimensions are a manifestation of life force vibrating.

Edited by - Etherfish on Oct 10 2009 10:17:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  10:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish and all....
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

quote:

Well, non-existence.

I don't know about that..... I am a little conflicted over taking a side on this, but the more I "think/don't think" about it, the more I agree with Neil. How can something "not exist"? Try and name one thing that doesn't exist. I can't. I'd be really interested to see if someone else can. To me, non-existance is just a word. Everything, even if just in thought form at THIS time, exists. There is nothing that does not exist. Perhaps I missed the "point"

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Oct 10 2009 10:24:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try to find one "thing" that "exists." I guarantee you, you cannot find one. This is all just logical exercise/metaphysics and misses the point altogether. We have to go beyond the intellect to contact the real nature.

All objects are subject to constant change and are impermanent. Our perceptions of objects is dependent upon our mind's condition. We never see any "thing" for what it is.

The question of existence or non-existence is a deviation.

The door to reality is... Neither reach for nor reject existence or non-existence.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  10:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How long can a moment be extended and still be a moment? How much can a moment be divided and still be a moment?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  11:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it would be helpful to "define" what Existence is.... For me, the one "thing" that exists is Existence itself. Undefinable Existence......It is beyond the intellect yet does not deny it.

Love,
Carson

P.S. There is no reaching nor rejecting going on here....just pure acceptance.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Perhaps it would be helpful to "define" what Existence is.... For me, the one "thing" that exists is Existence itself. Undefinable Existence......It is beyond the intellect yet does not deny it.

Love,
Carson

P.S. There is no reaching nor rejecting going on here....just pure acceptance.

If existence is a thing that is undefinable, then it is not a thing.

To contact the nature of mind one must neither accept nor reject existence or non-existence.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  12:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well lets have this conversation in the space of non existence I believe yin and yang occur to some deegree but really yin and yang are an illusion. I can go right for fifty killometers, and left is always right by my side, or should I say left has never left me. so I have not went away from left. The creative life force, GOd, is, awarenes Is, life is, it has no opposite. It is the space in which yin and yang and all the other stuff we talk about exists. Maybe reality is person dependent, so I see a tree and you do not, however existince exist. IT is beyond duality. That is my take on it.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  6:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The question of existence and non-existence is beside the point. This talk is a deviation.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  10:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
doesnt deviate from the title, just adding another proof of non duality
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  1:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What proof?
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  8:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you being able to post is proof or existence
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  5:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

you being able to post is proof or existence

I love this argument. I realize that existence is all because of me. (joking). Me typing doesn't prove existence exists (which actually doesn't mean anything at all).

First of all what do you mean by "existence."? Second of all this post was about proof of nonduality.

Points don't exist; they are "dimensionless" and also are nothing more than imaginary mathematical symbols. Geometrical objects consist of points, but the world does not consist of geometrical objects. The world consists of atoms; deeper than atoms are waves, particles and probabilities, but not points.

Duality is about subject/object dichotomy not geometry. Duality is about the mind. The proof of non-duality is a skepticism, that the subject does not exist, meaning cannot be found empirically. You might think that the subject typing exists, because it is typing. But this is the same confusion that says objects consist of points. It is a category error.

The subject exists conventionally as a matter of discourse and convenience, like points and geometric shapes. However, one cannot find direct evidence of points in space-time, nor can one find direct evidence of the subject.

A positive way to prove non-duality is that there is a human body with a brain and a consciousness named Ösel Dorje that is typing. If you want to make the further leap that Ösel Dorje exists, then go ahead, but you are not really saying anything more than what has already been said. The consciousness and body of Ösel Dorje is not separate from the causes and conditions of the rest of the world. We are all star stuff.

The point of non-duality is not logical, it is psychological. Our attachment to a subject/object dichotomy is the source of an ever present anxiety within us. But because this dichotomy "doesn't exist" there is no problem doing away with it. The dichotomy is a mental convenience, a fiction. Our attachment to fictions makes us weary. When we make the effort to look for the subject, we can't find it. Then, we relax with the knowledge that there is no duality.

Fancy and cute "proofs" using metaphysical jargon from unrelated transcendental realms like quantum physics, geometry, mathematics and modal logic totally miss point that the issue of duality is entirely psychological.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Oct 12 2009 8:11:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  8:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Fancy and cute "proofs" using metaphysical jargon from unrelated transcendental realms like quantum physics, geometry, mathematics and modal logic totally miss point that the issue of duality is entirely psychological"
well thanks for your response, a good read. I was not using metaphysics, quantam physics in my argument. I simply state that existence exists. IMO existence is ALL that IS and there is not opposite to existence. We are all part of it, the one. Yes you being able to type proves existence, but I am not implying that existence is only Konchok Osel, Dorje, yes that body is a part of it.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  9:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Existence is all that IS."

So what?
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  10:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

the issue of duality is entirely psychological.

Wow - Thanks, Konchok.

There's only one place I've seen this stated as directly or succinctly:

Yogash Chitta-vritti-nirodhah
"Yoga is stilling modifications of mind."
~Yoga Sutras 1.2

To paraphrase Rumi:

"Out beyond existence and non-existence there is a field - meet me here."

With all respect to all here, and for this interesting dialog --- non-duality cannot be proven; it can only be.

Are you?

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  11:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

PS to Suryakant:

By the way, I wouldn't say that my other post disagrees with your statement, here (your words, above) -- I feel I get what you're pointing to (pun happily intended) ...

The points you're referring to are actually the "negative points" of awareness, yes?

Yet, somehow ... these negative points ... from the angle of multiplicity ... inform the form that can be designated as "objects" ... yet these objects, made of dimensionless points are awareness alone .... which is the entire point.

And so, from one angle, subject-perceiving-object could be called, for instance, R-A-M:

RAM

Yet, from the "angle" of wholeness, these things could be a single sound:

RAM

Sound about right?

Edited by - Kirtanman on Oct 12 2009 11:08:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  6:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, there's no need to prove non-duality, because duality cannot be proven.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing can be proven for that matter. All "proofs" are based upon basic assumptions, which are agreements upon "truths" that cannot be proven.
In other words, proofs follow the form "If we agree that A and B are true, then C must be true also"
But A and B are never proven.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000