Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Paramahamsa Nithyananda on Vijnanabhairava
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  11:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

When Paramahamsa Nithyananda lectures on the "Shiva Sutras" -- he's specifically teaching from the 112 sutras of the Vijnanabhairava Tantra -- which are Shiva Sutras - Shaivite Sutras - to be sure; when I use the term, I'm usually referring the the original Shiva Sutras of Vasugupta, or their commentaries, by sages such as Abhinavagupta, Kshemaraja, etc.

... however, specific texts which delve into the yogic means -- primarily Shaktopaya, the "Empowered Means" -- aka yogic use of mind/attention/awareness -- which form the Heart of Kashmir Shaivism ...

.... such as the Yoga Spandakarika and the Vijnanabhairava Tantra ....

.... are also Shiva Sutras.

For an example of how a realized Shaivite guru (Paramahamsa Nithyananda) teaches from the Shiva Sutras (Vijnanabhairava Tantra, in this case) .... check out:

VIDEO: Be Aware Continuously

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman

anaitkes

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  02:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit anaitkes's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have watched some of his videos but I do not think he is bringing much of any use to the fore. Much of his commentary shows a huge influence from Osho who also commented on the same text in his "The Book of Secrets". However, Osho had (or did not speak from the perspective of knowing) no knowledge of Kashmir Shaivism and the details of its practice. He was unaware of the Three Upayas which, although not mentioned specifically in the text itself, are integral to the practice of its techniques. He also gave a very general wash on the actual practice, in such a way that it often deviated entirely from the traditional understanding as represented by Swami Lakshmanjoo and the traditional commentators. For these reasons, I do not think Nityananda's commentary is very helpful and perhaps should be taken with a grain of salt. I am also wary of him due to the obvious Osho influence - perhaps he was a follower of Osho and has not had genuine realization but is speaking from the perspective of it - something quite dangerous for our understanding if we are not aware.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  7:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Anaitkes,

Thanks very much for your kind words in the Swami Lakshmanjoo thread; I'll plan to respond to you there, just a little later.

Simply put: my experience (not my opinion, my experience) of Paramahamsa Nithyananda is that he is a fully realized living master.

The tradition he awakened from was not Kashmir Shaivism, but an equivalent (though not identical) school of non-dual Shaivism from South India.

The source for Paramahamsa Nithyananda's teachings, is, simply put:

Source.

That's what being a Paramahamsa means -- living from the reality beyond duality.

It seems like you have a sense of Swami Lakshmanjoo's simple, humble, yet utterly clear wisdom; I experience exactly the same from Paramahamsa Nithyananda.

You might find it beneficial to give him, and his teachings a bit more of a chance.

Here are a couple of videos from Paramahamsa Nithyananda I've found to be especially powerful, in my own experience:

VIDEO: Nithyananda on Fulfillment

VIDEO: Nithyananda on Memory (Teaching From Patanjali's Yoga Sutras)

You've mentioned familarity with the three upayas (means) of Kashmir Shaivism; there are actually four (as you may have learned via Swami Lakshmanjoo's teachings).

In the same way that yogis often rattle off "waking, dreaming and deep sleep", but don't mention turiya ... the fourth state of clear awareness in-from which these other states arise ...

And in the same way yogis rattle of AUM as consisting of A, U & M ... but don't mention the silent awareness of the point/bindu in-from which these levels/planes arise ...

So, in Kashmir Shaivism, you often hear of the individual means, the empowered means and the divine means (anavopaya, shaktopaya and shambhavopaya) -- but you don't often hear of Anopaya - the "means beyond means" .... "that which is meant", as Swami Lakshmanjoo said; the level of pure awareness in-from which the other three means arise, the level of pure awareness without which nothing else would be possible.

The origin-destination of Kashmir Shaivism, and all valid, experientially oriented yogic-mystical systems.

Including AYP.

This non-dual awareness -- enlightenment --- reality itself --- is the truth which sets us free -- and is the truth which Paramahamsa Nithyananda is a living expression of, which Swami Lakshmanjoo purely expressed as well, where AYP leads us .... and who/what we each and all actually are now, behind the artificial distortions of the thinking mind.

It doesn't so much matter if a given set of teachings sound like someone else's, or whether or not they reflect a given traditional system, exactly ---- what is important --- is the consciousness of the one expressing the teaching.

Why?

Because, that's the factor, if we're open .... which leads us all the way Home ... all the way Here, Now.

Thinking mind evaluates; that's what it does ("is this guy enlightened?"; "Is that guy teaching the right things?") -- that's what it's designed to do.

And that's why it is essentially utterly useless in knowing your true nature.

It took me a long time to realize --- and it's true.

It doesn't have to take anyone else as long to realize.

Evaluation can't get you Home; opening to the truth can and will.

Sincerity is the essential key.
Daily practices are usually essential (and highly recommended) as well.
Inquiry usually comes into play, too.

Ultimately -- thought-free awareness is where they *all* lead though .... which is a very significant clue ... if you don't think about it.

There's a well-known Buddhist axiom:

When a finger points at the moon ... look at the moon, and not the finger.

Look where those who have realized true nature are pointing .... and realize your true nature has always been shining in-from-as the same place, as well.

I hope this helps.

Not every teacher is for everyone; but based on what I've seen in your posts so far, I feel you might really come to enjoy Nithyananda, Anaitkes, if you just let yourself experience him openly, without mentally comparing; just take in what he says.

If you end up not much caring for him or his teachings, that's fine, too.

The important teachings are the ones which wake *you* up, all the way ... and "one size most assuredly does NOT fit all" .... and there are many sizes/styles, maps that can get you all the way home, just fine .... all you really need is a sincere heart, and willingness to practice daily; everything else will literally enlighten you of its own accord.

Life knows what it's doing.

Whole-Heartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000