Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yom Kippur
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  9:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, here in Israel is now the holiday "Yom Kippur"- Day of Atonement.

Wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur

"
According to Jewish tradition, God inscribes each person's fate for the coming year into a "book" on Rosh Hashanah and waits until Yom Kippur to "seal" the verdict. During the Days of Awe, a Jew tries to amend his or her behavior and seek forgiveness for wrongs done against God (bein adam leMakom) and against other human beings (bein adam lechavero). The evening and day of Yom Kippur are set aside for public and private petitions and confessions of guilt (Vidui). At the end of Yom Kippur, one considers one's self absolved by God.
"

On this day we fast for one day, and ask for forgiveness of God and Other beings. So if I hurt anybody here in any way I am sorry.. please forgive me.

I personally believe that a person should act the best he can, and try to forgive others and be open like this every day. But it's hard.. and this day gives us the opportunity to open and lose the hard edges.. So, I think this is a good thing.. I'll also be going to the synagogue with my dad and grandfather to pray for some time (something that usually happens twice or thrice a year- I'm conservative not orthodox) So this is a big opportunity for me.

Opening up is

Thanks and happy holidays.

Yonatan

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Holidays to you too Yonatan. Not sure how you wish someone on Yom Kippur.. happy Yom kippur?

Was just reading on what day Yom Kippur is celebrated, cause here in the US it said Yom Kippur is on Monday. And yes, it is.. it starts sundown on Sunday September 27 and ends at nightfall on Monday September 28.

The reason I was curious is because in India we celebrate Vijayadashami/Dussehra on Monday. It's the 10th and last day of Durga puja/Navaratri (Yom Kippur is the tenth day of the month of Tishrei).

Not sure if the two have anything in common, other than begin on the 10th day after a new moon.. but it's wonderful to know that so many in the world will be fasting and praying around the same time. No wonder Miguel felt this "positive energies coming down to earth this last days?"
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti!!!

On Yom Kippur you say "have an easy fast and a good inscription" (in the Book of Life by God).

Cool that those holidays are on the same day..

Happy Days are here again

Love,

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  11:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan

Opening up is

Thanks and happy holidays.

Yonatan

You, My Friend, are a Beautiful Person!

You, too, Shanti!

You, too, ALL!

And both of you (Yonatan & Shanti) .... inspired some rapid yet "mega" research into the amazing correspondences between Hinduism and Judaism ... the results of which were substantial and amazing *enough* to start a new thread about, here --->

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=6430#6430

May All Enjoy a Blessed and Unified Yom Kippur // Navratri // Sunday-Monday,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  10:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love you Kirtanman Brother..

Thanks.

I'll surely read it when I have time..

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000