Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 cigarettes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
AH so i'm making the attempt at quitting smoking... smoking for 7.. maybe 8 years... the past month its gotten worse ... like a pack and half in a day... but anyway decided to make the attempt 2 days ago... and the first 2 days i've got cig intake in half.

What did you think i was quitting cold turkey?

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  9:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish you success, man. I only smoked (cigarettes) for 3 years, and quitting even then was hard. I can only imagine what you're going through.

One day at a time. Meditation will definitely help!

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  09:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks... was at a bar last night... so far thats the hardest place to "hold back" but i smoked less than i normally would at a bar.
Thanks though...
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  5:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi littlejerry,

you can do it, it is possible! I quit after 12 years, never got back to smoking.

My advice is: Contemplate A LOT on the damage cigarettes are causing to your lungs, heart, veins, your bad breath and the smoke others must tolerate, the absurdity of paying for cigarettes and smoking itself. You are missing the possibility to feel much better and healthier + feeling more confident and consistend about your behavior.

Prepare yourself consistently for the moment you will quit.

Good luck, man,
Roman
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  09:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
littlejerry-

I think you are doing a great service to your body by stopping smoking. I also agree with doing ALOT of contemplation of the effects of cigarette smoking does...and when you are having the urge to have one try to recognize that part of you that wants to STOP.

I am not a smoker, but I know the tobacco manufacturers make them addictive, so there must be significant withdraw.

I really think you can stop littlejerry because you are here wanting too.

I think along side your stopping, I am going to give up nailbiting. It sounds trivial, but I am a real GNARLEY biter! I often say that I am glad that I don't smoke instead...but the funny thing is, think of all the bacteria and germs that we come in contact with on a daily basis and the ease of the spread thru the mouth. I bit them for anxiety reasons, and habit and the slight edge of pain...much like maybe the need for smoking.

So in support of you littlejerry, I am going to try to stop biting my nails...so if littlejerry can give it up, so can sagebrush!

as a replacement I have to use finger oil my nails on a regular basis...keeping bottles all over the place, like in the car, when I drive....so maybe littlejerry you may have to chew some Trident gum or something. much better breath and it will save alot of bucks and issues in the body.

goodluck!
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  12:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Best of luck littlejerry. Saying it was 'hard' was an understatement when I finally quit, so long ago. The third try did it for me. The only thing different about that try was that I did everything I could to change my daily routine the first couple of weeks that I gave it up.

I visited new places and did new things. I don't know if that helped break the associations I had with smoking or not. I had a bad habit of sitting at the computer, programming all day, with a diet pop and cigarrette going half the time. Looking back on it, I am so grateful to have completely changed my way of living.

Blessings to you!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000