AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 denial of self
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
if one denies certain aspect of their self maybe this will lead to a longer journey of figuring out who we are? Of course we all want to say we are love, and then hate comes up and we resist that, try to push it out, maybe even try and say neti neti. How about if when a negative emotion comes up we say, I am that, accepting, and moving forward.
some thoughts
for I am those as well.
Neil

Edited by - brother neil on Aug 14 2009 10:30:39 PM

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  10:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you brother neil. I agree.

'I am', one's true Self, is everything in the field of perception, the field of perception, the act of perceiving and the perceiver. I am all of these and I am beyond all of these.

Nothing is excluded. In this dualistic world, I am good and bad, joy and suffering, me and other, etc. I cannot be one and not the other. Indeed if there was only one of each of these dualisms, the other would be meaningless and would not exist. For this 'I Am' to be, all of this must exist. This is the jnana realisation.

chinna
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  10:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
any good books on realizing the non dual self? or does realizing the dual self help to realize non dual?
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  2:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

any good books on realizing the non dual self? or does realizing the dual self help to realize non dual?

You can't do better than the recorded teachings of Ramana Maharshi and of Nisargadatta Maharaj. The former is the most influential non-dual sage of the 20th century, on which much of the neo-advaita movement rests. He teaches atma-vichara as the only effective practice. There's also an ashram with a website and a journal 'Mountain Path', which has had many distinguished contributers in its time, and a thriving pilgrimage business to Tiruvannamalai. Nisargadatta is more direct, with little to interest any but the most serious student of advaita, but takes a bit of patience before his language really sinks in and one's perception is re-oriented.

Any practice of introspection is helpful. We have to start with the dual self, which gradually opens up to the non-dual, boundariless, Self which all in fact IS. The practice of enquiring into the 'self' "Who or what am I?", from time to time throughout the day, as recommended by Ramana, until it becomes a disposition, until one becomes an open question, until one can't offer any answer at all, is what leads the jnani to the goal. Nisargadatta and others are helpful in orienting this question, breaking open the mind's defensive reaction of defining everything, reifying everything, making it abstract, making it fixed, a concept. The dual self is a concept, the first concept on which all other concepts depend, and it is the dissolution of this concept, and seeing through the process of its conception, which introduces us to the non-dual, our real Self.

chinna
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  10:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i always say yes to my self, because other people say no
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  01:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by porcupine

i always say yes to my self, because other people say no

I say yes to your self too.
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  12:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i say yes to yourself cosmo!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  11:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  8:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
who is I? and where does this "say yes" come from?
Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  11:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
whats it mean duality?...nonduality?... is it reality and say your perception of reality?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000