Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Sacred Geometry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  2:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends....

Ever since I was a child I have had an interest in and felt a resonance with sacred geometry. This culminated in the "creation" of "ZI" in 1998.

ZI was "found" by a few friends and I while we were writing a "spiritual manuscript" and trying to come up with an appropriate title for the "movement".....together we came up with a symbol, which in language representation would be said "zi" and decided to title the manuscript "The Book of Zi". This moment in my life (the discovering of the "Zi" symbol) created a deep bhakti to more deeply understand the universe through the representation of sacred geometry.

Today while searching the internet for interesting sacred geometry sites I ran into this page titled "Walking the Path of the Mandala" here: http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/jan4/aya.htm
On this page there is a quote I absolutely LOVE....

"God is a circle whose center is everywhere and periphery nowhere."

After reading this page on "Aya" (the artist) I checked out his website here: http://www.starwheels.com/index.php ....some interesting stuff there. His gallery of mandalas/sacred geometric art is here: http://www.starwheels.com/infopage....wheelgallery

Anyways, I thought I would share these links for anyone who feels a connection to sacred geometry.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Aug 11 2009 2:44:15 PM

apachechief

Ireland
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  5:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit apachechief's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember many years ago, back in the last milennium, I did a workshop called, "The flower of life," which went into sacred geometry a fair bit. It even explained creation through the use of geometry. Interesting stuff. I wouldn't be that keen on the overall teachings of the course as it branched off into questionable areas, such as ufo's, etc. but it was fascinating at the time and can be viewed online. Here's a related video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...ower+of+life
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  1:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you apachechief for sharing this video with me! It took me all day yesterday to get through it, but I loved it and am now on to part 2 of the video. Just wanted to say thanks.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  11:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson & All,

Cool thread; thanks for starting it, Carson!

Sacred Geometry really is quite fascinating.

It's pretty much the essence of every esoteric, advaitic system on the planet -- Trika Shaivism, Pythagorean Geometry, Kabbalah, Quantum Physics, etc..

Quite amazing, really.

I remembered seeing the term "quantum geometry" a while back, and decided to dig into a little bit.

It seems that quantum geometry is the leading-edge description, currently, of reality, in the scientific world.

From a peer-reviewed academic paper on Quantum Geometry (which, by the way, utterly revises conventional-yet-wrong views such as the "Big Bang Theory", "Black Hole Gravitation", and such; I'm not using the term "leading edge" lightly; this is the real deal .... the guys who developed the Large Hadron Collider at CERN are lecturing about this stuff on YouTube).

Here are a few world-revising excerpts:

"Perhaps the central lesson of general relativity is that gravity is geometry. There is no longer a background metric, no inert stage on which dynamics unfolds. Geometry itself is dynamical."

"Thus, now the configuration variables are not metrics as in Wheeler’s geometrodynamics, but certain spin connections."

"Thus, in contrast to Wheeler’s geometrodynamics, the Riemannian structures, including the positive-definite metric on _, is now built from momentum variables."

"The basic kinematic objects are holonomies of Aia, which dictate how spinors are parallel transported along curves, and the triads Eai , which determine the geometry of _. (Matter couplings to gravity have also been studied extensively.)"

Source:
Quantum Geometry and Gravity: Recent Advances
by Abhay Ashtekar
Center for Gravitational Physics and Geometry,
Physics Department, Penn State

Connections.
Momentum.
Triads.
Couplings.

Jeez, if these quantum geometry experts aren't careful -- they're going to catch up to 11th century Kashmir Shaivism and Kabbalah, before they know it!

There is also the Quantum Geometry text known as either Genesis, or Beresh*t (depending upon the compilation; Genesis in the Christian Bible, Beresh*t in the Jewish Torah).

I mean, sure, the language is a bit esoteric and symbolic.

Exactly like the quantum geometry paper quoted above.

How geometry-based is Genesis? How geometry-based is the Kabbalah?

Only utterly.

Here are some links to sections on Kabbalistic Geometry in Genesis, related to the Tree of Life diagram, and related to the Kabbalistic doctrine of the son, respectively -- from the excellent yet highly geometric book The Secret Doctrine of the Kabbalah: Recovering The Keys To Hebraic Sacred Science by Leonora Leet.

You may have seen the two intersecting triangles, forming a hexagram - a star - which is centric to the Sri Yantra of Tantric Shaivism and other yogic paths, as well.

What? The "Star of David", you say?

I'm talking about the hexagram ... the star, where the upward pointed triangle represents fire - the path of return, and the downward pointing triangle represents water, the path of emanation ... you know ...

Shi - Fire
Va - Water

Shiva.

What ... Shamayim, you say?

Sha - Fire
Ma - Water?
Im - Union?

Well, yes, that is the Hebrew word for Heaven, but .... well, the star I'm talking about it symbolic of the *Heart* -- you know, in Tantric Shaivism .... ohh .... well, yes .... it certainly does appear to be *identical* ...... now that you mention it.

Though Leonora Leet does a better job of outlining the identicality than I probably ever could:

The Hexagram and Hebraic Sacred Science.

And with that, it's time for me to call it a night ("it's a night ....!" )

But not without linking to this overview, also from Leonora Leet, on Quantum Physics and Sacred Science.

There's no disagreement between science and spirituality.

There's only disagreement between misinterpretations of science and misinterpretations of spirituality.

Sacred Geometry: It's The Whole Point!

Harmony
Number
Geometry
AUM I!

"Architecture is Frozen Music."

Get this - and you've got it all.

Heart Is Where The AUM Is*,

Kirtanman

*A formula masquerading as a poetic-ish sign-off line.

PS- What does is mean to say that reality "is geometry" ... not "geometric" .... but "geometry"? Isn't geometry a tedious high-school subject? As opposed to ... the literal fabric of reality itself? *Nope.*

"Is Geometry" simply means ..... the One .... One ... space .... awareness .... suchness .... whateverness .... oscillates .... emanates ... (and thereby) .... creates ... forms .... acts (Emanation, Creation, Formation, Action; the Four Worlds of the Kabbalah, analogous to the Four Levels of Speech of Kashmir Shaivism, analogous to the four components of AUM {A,U,M,.} ... reality is space oscillating, enfolding, forming, acting, dissolving, concealing revealing ... ever and ever, worlds without end.

What is this space?

I AM.

Edited by - Kirtanman on Aug 15 2009 11:41:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  08:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kirtanman, this is fascinating

I was in a university class and the lecturer mensioned that the star of David is a cross or union between male (the upward triangle) and female (the downward).

Look, this is an illustration of Mahavatar Babaji and his teacher and check out what's on the book

http://kataragama.org/pix/bhogar_babaji_350.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  10:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan

Thanks Kirtanman, this is fascinating

I was in a university class and the lecturer mensioned that the star of David is a cross or union between male (the upward triangle) and female (the downward).

Look, this is an illustration of Mahavatar Babaji and his teacher and check out what's on the book

http://kataragama.org/pix/bhogar_babaji_350.jpg

Thanks, Yonatan; very cool!

Interesting how the two oldest spiritual traditions in the world (Judaism/Kabbalah, Tantric/Yogic Hinduism) use the same central symbol, with the same exact symbolism.

And yes, the connections between Kabbalah and Tantric Shaivism are pretty much irrefutable - and it will be very interesting to see some of the effects on the views of spirituality and religion around the world, as more of these irrefutable connections come to light.

Article on Connections Between Kabbalah & "North Indian Tantra" {aka Kashmir Shaivism}.

Note: contains some information on the now-refuted "Aryan invasion theory"; interesting info, otherwise.

Article on the Sacred Hexagram//Six-Pointed Star, as used by the world's spiritual traditions.

Interesting article on Sacred Pythagorean Geometry.

(Written by a professor who does *not* get it; surprisingly good info, considering that.)

Sophian Gnosticism Forum Thread on Gematria.

Gematria is the Sacred Geometry of Kabbalah; it's the source for Pythagorean Geometry. The thread above covers correspondences between the 12 Single Letters of Hebrew, the 12 lines of the cube of space (which, multiplied by the 6 faces of the cube of space = 72 Names of God), the 3 Mother Letters (Aleph, Mem, Shin -- Air, Water, Fire -- Mediating Awareness, Objectivity, Subjectivity).

And remember the points of the sacred cross:

YHVH

Y
HH
V

What happens when you ignite the center with Shin .... Fire?

YHVH
becomes
YHSVH

Yehoshva in Hebrew
Yeshva in Aramaic
Jesus in Greek.

Jesus/YeShVa is the fire, centered in on the cross of unitive awareness and diversity-manifesting we call humanity.

Oh, and: the letter Shin in Hebrew is written as three flames, arising from a single source ..... you know .... three points .... like the kind that make a triangle .... or a trident (see: Kashmir Shaivism ... the Trident; the vowel AU in Sanskrit ..... the unity of willing-knowing-acting).

It really *all* is geometry.

And it *all* is sacred.

And Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Aug 16 2009 11:25:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  11:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The triangle of Vajrayogini, the great Dakini of Tantric Buddhism, is a six-pointed star, but it's a good deal more complex than that. I've just gleaned some extremely interesting stuff about it- if I have time tomorrow I'll try and post something.

Of course it's also the yantra of some of the Tantric (Hindu) Mahavidyas.

Emaho!

gri
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  04:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this interesting thread.

The yoga of maths, certainly the most precise symbolic yoga of all. In this yoga, as in all others, all is focused ultimately on the the first and the last, the alpha and omega, the appearance and transcendence of the point, the bindu, one, I-am, which instantly implies, as an absolute inevitability, all the rest. This is the ultimate secret of creation, and of oneself, to which all yogas lead. When Stephen Hawking finally cracks the code, and sees Reality for the first time, the Theory of Everything which he seeks, his maths will vanish, he will be unable to represent it. In a sense mathematicians (and evolutionary biologists) have no choice but to avoid seeing, because their discipline will vanish as soon as they do, just as do religions and spiritualities. Just as St Thomas Aquinas, having written libraries of theology, put away his pen after his great realisation and said 'All I have written is like straw', and died shortly afterwards, and St Philip Neri, who threw away all his books and refused entreaties to become a priest as a pointless (ha!) exercise (he later relented), and Pascal who wrote the single word 'Fire' on a piece of paper and had it sewn into the lining of his coat, discovered only after he died, and St Augustine of Hippo whose Confessions explore the whole panorama of mind and experience and in so doing point towards That which is unnamed and unameable, and is its source and end.

All of geometry is, for those who seek themselves or God, about the point, bindu. The rest may be fascinating, but of itself leads only to this. Focus on the point, one, see how it implies all the rest of the fascinating patterns, as an inevitability, and so go beyond. Form is emptiness, emptiness form. Beyond, beyond.....

chinna
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by chinna

All of geometry is, for those who seek themselves or God, about the point, bindu. The rest may be fascinating, but of itself leads only to this. Focus on the point, one, see how it implies all the rest of the fascinating patterns, as an inevitability, and so go beyond. Form is emptiness, emptiness form. Beyond, beyond.....

chinna

Hi Chinna & All,

I agree with your statements most entheosiastically!!

Hence my statement:

Sacred Geometry: It's The Whole Point!

Form is Emptiness; Emptiness, Form.

Emptiness-Form, I AM.

The thinking me is a portion of the whole, thinking/dreaming it's a separate/separable piece.

All maps, descriptive systems and symbols sets -- whether they are called Sanskrit or Hebrew, Advaita or Dzogchen, Shaivism or Christianity; Geometry or Mathematics or Music -- are methods to take the definition-based quasi-consciousness of the Maya-generated ego-mind into original awareness of its own wholeness.

Simply Put: All sacred systems and sacred symbolisms are *alarm clocks*; they're designed for one purpose: to wake up the dream of partiality to the reality of wholeness that is true consciousness-awareness.

The wholeness of unitive awareness (aka inner silence, silent awareness, samadhi, turya, nirvana, etc.) is best described via the symbolism of sound and waves; Harmony.

The seemingly-discrete emanations of unitive awareness manifesting diversely are best described via the structures of a single whole oscillating, emanating, creating, forming, displaying - beginning - as you so rightly point out (<- pun happily intended! ) and ending -- as-from-with-to-in a single point - the whole point - and thus, the *particular* descriptive symbol-set of manifestation: Geometry.

There is a scientific truth and beauty to both Harmony and Geometry .... but how can they even know of one another, let alone know they are essentially One?

They need a bridge, a mediator, a savior ..... they need ...

Number; Mathematics

Harmony
Number
Geometry

Father
Son
Holy Spirit (Mother)

Shiva
Nara
Shakti

Waves
Observation
Particles

It's all only about how consciousness works .... that consciousness may know:

I AM.

"Architecture Is Frozen Music."

I AM: The whole point I think I'm seeking to make.

(When I'm the thinking of thinking I'm seeking.)

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder what the vibration of I AM would look like in geometric form.....(perhaps the flower of life?)

Love,
Carson

P.S. Thanks all for all the great links and conversation....nothing really to add here....you guys are saying it all

EDIT...did a google search for "I AM" "sacred geometry" and this page came up.... http://www.shantimayi.com/teachings/i_am.html WOW

Edited by - CarsonZi on Aug 17 2009 1:45:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  5:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
CarsonZi, thanks for the link. This person's site has some good things there
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  06:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

I wonder what the vibration of I AM would look like in geometric form.....(perhaps the flower of life?)

Love,
Carson

P.S. Thanks all for all the great links and conversation....nothing really to add here....you guys are saying it all

EDIT...did a google search for "I AM" "sacred geometry" and this page came up.... http://www.shantimayi.com/teachings/i_am.html WOW

Thanks CarsonZi. I would say that I-AM is the point, the bindu, which appears and then generates infinite forms. Prior to (and after and during) I-AM's appearance is our ultimate Self, which has no form, neither being nor knowing, and so is inexpressible, even as a point, and so is utterly free.

chinna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000