Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Need books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anandatandava2

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  11:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit anandatandava2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am complete pauper. Are there public domain translations of classic texts online that could be printed off and sent to me, (the small ones of course)? As far as books go, however, this prison only allows the sending of new books direct from organizations, not individuals. Any ideas on where I might go with my begging ball?

anandatandava2

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  8:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit anandatandava2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the exquisite conductivity in my upper body right down to finger tips, I'm looking for things to experiment with while in a seated position. I use a variety of hand mudras and eye motions but am always on the prowl for more, including the incorporation of trunk and twisting of the head. Would any books on kinesiology, Indian or other Eastern sacred dance, or other transcendent movement traditions and therapies be of use to me?
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  12:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anandatandava,

I could send you books ( or even some money, i've been thinking, if i'm not too hard up- could send you a few dollars) I know what these places are like, and i would hate to think of a brother stuck for resources inside, particularly one involved with AYP interactiing here because i've always imagine myself doin yoga in the same situation( and am reminded of this, whenever i read your posts).I've reviewed the criteria you mention about sending books though i'm not particularly clear how they legislate (or enforce) the definition of 'organisation'. I'm sure we can arrange something

I would recommend all of yogani's books, of course.

There is something called 'hanna somatics' which synchronises head and eye movement done in slow motion with twisting motions of the trunk-taken from feldenkrais. I don't know of that is up your street. I have'nt practiced it in a while but i did it about a month ago and it was the most grounding thing ,HS, i've ever done. It really brought me down to earth, something major.It re-wires the gross nervous system , a nd your neural connections.Took me a while to learn though.These special movemente must be done in slow motion with maximum awareness, and you use a technique called self-pandiculation where you contract a muscle voluntarily tighter than normal during a movement; this send a signal to the brain , so the theory goes, and the correlating neural connections are woken up , there and then. I've done it once during my time at AYP and it appears it brings you right down to earth in term of it's grounding effect. They have a movements series called the 'cat stretch-outgrowing the myth of aging'-it's done gently with the least amount of effort- you self-pandiculate at the peak point of muscle contraction and you do in slow motion with the maximum amount of awareness.The learning curve is longer unless someone personally instructs you.

Lesson 6 of 'The Cat Stretch'(there is audio instructional guidance available for this Series, which supplements Thomas Hanna's book 'Somatics';illustrated at the back ,with a series of pics of a wooden doll bent in various positions) - probably activates the occipital region and the rotating muscles and twisting actions of the spine, neck and head- (with corresponding somatic eye movements) can be done seated.---must be done very slowly.

The pics of the wooden doll and the accompanying instruction in the back of the book are'nt the easiest to decipher and interpret,make sense of(if the book has a weakness,this may be it, as it's worth it's weight in gold, once you've climbed the learning curve involved), so audio instruction is quite handy as a complement( or even better ,a trained teacher). These exotic movements make use of opposing muscle groups, and many more movements have since been invented since Hanna's 'Cat Stretch'. There are series that can be done entirely seated.It exploits the fact that say, in the brain your left hip is connected movement-wise with your right shoulder, or that adductors and abductors normally seek to balnce each other out if allowed.

Here are two examples,done seated---

Ex. 1-

Sitting in a seat- push your left knee inwards- resist with opposite right hand/arm. Now relax the knee, and let the right hand push the left knee away.As you resist exhale Breathing out will help you to feel more across your front.You will feel opposing muscle groups- left inner adductors and right front trunk muscles release spontaneously- this is biofeedback. Clever eh? Now swap sides.Squeeze and resist right knee with opppiste hand/arm, breathe out.Now you can do both in a criss-cross pattern.
Then you can do the outer abductors using Push & resist left knee with same side arm/hand., while breathing out,then relaxing thigh.

Ex. 2-

(also done in/on a seat)Push the left foot into the ground, so you slide and slouch down.Now pull the left elbow back,& then HOLD, so the chest lifts, and with an equal effort you can feel in the back of the shoulder blades--Equalisation. Breathe out while you slouch and then re-seat your self, in & out of slouching. Now combine the leg and chest action, and hold, breathe out and cause yourself to slouch and then reseat yourself. See, these are movements that naturally combine; these are mutually re-inforcing patterns. If you use the pattern to re-inforce yourself ,you wake up your sense of self and get stronger and better co-ordinated. One feels better put together when one stands up and walks around. These are areas where you have less developed sensory awareness and thefore control.

You put the attention in the contracted area and follow it with relaxation. You are waking up those areas of your brain that control those movements. Areas that were previously tight wake up through making connections in the voluntary cortex in the brain

I can send you mp3 audio iinstruction on how to do the movements-

Regarding books, i can send you some...

This post actually motivates me to re-visit Hanna Somatics, a neuro-muscular re-education movement discipline.Atheletes can use it as well as those seeking therapy.

Love

Akasha

Edited by - Akasha on Aug 14 2009 10:54:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  10:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anandatandava:

The number of books out there is endless. For promoting whole body ecstatic conductivity, the AYP lessons and books aim to reveal the underlying principles, and practical methods for activating them. That includes the full range of practices. An integrated approach is recommended over focussing on any one part to the exclusion of other parts. In the AYP approach, that means daily deep meditation established first before pranayama, mudras, bandhas, tantric sexual methods, etc. Without the rise of abiding inner silence, ecstatic conductivity will be limited in its reach. That prerequisite also applies to kechari mudra, which I know you are very interested in.

For those who would like to help out with books, anyone can provide an Amazon gift certificate sent to your email, and the books can be sent direct to you from Amazon. I assume the email address attached to your member ID here goes to a family member and contact and implementation of Amazon gift purchases can be achieved in that way. If someone needs an email address for sending an Amazon gift certificate to you, it can be obtained from me. Not positive, but I believe Amazon gift certificates can be sent anonymously.

Btw, elsewhere here you expressed interest in Ramakrishna. The "Gospel of Ramakrishna" by "M" is the definitive work on his life and teaching. It is about 1000 pages. It comes in an abridged version also. Ramakrishna was not primarily a tantrika, regarded mainly as a bhakta (devotional yogi), though overlap can certainly be found. His relationship with his ishta deva (goddess Kali) was both devotional and romantic -- divine romance!

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  12:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

I didn't know Ramakrishna's ishta was Kali. I have the abridged version of the "gospel" so perhaps i missed that. Seems Ramakrishna liked some fun!

You can download the full version of the Gospel of Ramakrishna online for free. I'm sure you can find it. However, in my experience it is better to get the actual books.

I didn't know Amazon do the gift certificate service. That is pretty cool. Maybe i will donate a little money for you, anandatandava. Are you Roy in prison? How did you end up there, if i may ask? Anyway, was there a book you had in mind you would like? I'll see if i can afford to get you one. I am pretty poor too but i would be happy to get you a book from Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  12:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anandatandava

I am complete pauper. Are there public domain translations of classic texts online that could be printed off and sent to me, (the small ones of course)? As far as books go, however, this prison only allows the sending of new books direct from organizations, not individuals. Any ideas on where I might go with my begging ball?

The best things in life are free. You have the internet. You have all you need. There are free e-books on kriya yoga, a famous one.

http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

Theravada book

http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml

The Buddhist Mahayana Sutras

http://www.fodian.net/English/index.htm

Pith Instructions on Nature of Mind

http://www.dharmafellowship.org/lib...ganga-ma.htm

All the yoga kriyas on Yogani's site are wonderful

Here's a very efficient one to do from Vajrayana,

http://www.ratnashri-tampabay.org/k...fication.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000