Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 without judgement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  8:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
how does one withhold judgment but have an opinion on things?

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to be worried about me judging people and situations. Then one day I realized I was judging myself for being who I am. Self-judging makes one smugly self-occupied. We all do it. But it is a waste of time.

Judgment and opinion are similar in nature, they are one half of the truth, but lack the other half. They lack balance.

Somebody said to me: "Don´t put the cart before the horse. Take it easy. You are a human being. Enjoy having an opinion, just make sure to choose the one you like the most. Then one day you will find you don´t need opinion anymore. You have found truth." So I decided to relax about it, and just try to choose the best opinion I can possibly find each time.

How does one withhold judgment? Certainly not by pretending everything is fine and beautiful. Some things are horrible. So much pain in this world and people do suffer. The only way out is by being gently truthful about it. Calling a spade a spade is fine, just as long as you are not hitting people on their head with it.

Truth is easy to recognize. It never harms. It always brings a blessing. It is pure simplicity.
It is really nothing but pure love.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By being completely un-attached to your opinions. Being so open minded that if your opinion is proven completely wrong, you are not very shocked, and able to change your opinion immediately.

However, I have found that it is better to just store the new information with the old and think both are possible.
Often when new information seems to completely blow old info out of the water, it will later prove to be incomplete and not as powerful as it seemed.
So it is best to hold opinions that are sort of waiting for further information.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  11:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

By being completely un-attached to your opinions.

Yes, this is how I see it.

Judgments and opinions are just thoughts, so it's helpful to treat them as such. Personally, I allow them to be there and don't identify with them. Just watch.

They are not mine, they are just there.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  06:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found an answer in Katie Byrons book 'Loving What is'. Might not be what you are looking for but it's a start.

Go to Top of Page

spinal_tap

Indonesia
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  5:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit spinal_tap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
if what you mean by judgment is reaction to mistakes or something bad. I usually try to understand how it happens. there should be logical reasons behind even the most intolerable actions. this isn't easy to do though. I think you need a lot of life experience and empathy to do it.

Most of the time I just deal with it like cosmic said, refuse to be bothered by it and just watch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000