Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 I am new here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just wanted to say hello. I stumbled upon this website a few days ago and I am deeply impressed and very grateful.

I have been practicing meditation for more than 15 years using various techniques. In the beginning it was a wonderful experience and I would rapidly feel inner and outer changes. About ten years ago I hit an obstruction which I could not get around. I was having powerful energy surges which gave the illusion of being thrown through space at a tremendous speed. At the same time my meditation would go deep but I was kind of loosing contact with the experience, like simply disappearing into a dark void. It is a pleasant experience but I have been mostly unable to recall what happens, they feel like a forgotten dreams afterwards.

For ten years I have been trying to find a way to get to the next level. I did for a long time search for some outside assistance but could not find any, people were either ignorant of my problem or they did not want to give away the information I needed. Not many gurus in my part of the world.

On my own I concluded that the problem was located in my physical body. That my brain and/or nervous system was not ready. So I have been on the outlook for a technique which could give me harmony and take me to the next level. My meditations have stayed the same for so long so gradually I stopped doing them couple of years ago because there seemed no point. But I never stopped searching for meaning and have been reading a lot. My Bhakti has always stayed strong.

I found this site only a few days ago. I started reading and quickly recognized things discussed here and in the Q/A. I started doing pranayama and meditation using the I AM mantra according to the instructions. The first couple of times I got the exact same surges like usual. Then I decided to add mulabandha and sambhani, just to see, and then finally something -new- happened.

Last night was the first time in years that I experienced something different. The energy surge did not show at all, instead the energy came up softly and the nervous system became vibrant. I could feel like small needles in different parts of my body and the experience reminded me of the early days when I was beginning to learn meditation. Last night was only the sixth time I have followed the instructions from this site!

I take very seriously the instructions about self paging, but I feel there is so much time that has gone to waste and I can hardly wait to have my pranayama and meditation each day. I would like to thank you Yogani for making this possible. You obviously know what you are doing and you understand the needs of people like me. Also to have the opportunity to ask questions if something happens, this is incredible! English is not my native language so I don´t know how to say this like I would want to, but you understand. Thank you! And to everybody sharing their experience here, thank you so much!

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste samara and welcome to the AYP forums

quote:
Originally posted by samara

About ten years ago I hit an obstruction which I could not get around. I was having powerful energy surges which gave the illusion of being thrown through space at a tremendous speed. At the same time my meditation would go deep but I was kind of loosing contact with the experience, like simply disappearing into a dark void. It is a pleasant experience but I have been mostly unable to recall what happens, they feel like a forgotten dreams afterwards.

I would hazard a guess that you might have an "overactive" pineal gland....or an open third eye/ajna chakra (perhaps they are the same thing). That's just the impression I get right off the bat.

quote:

For ten years I have been trying to find a way to get to the next level.

Did you ever try "not trying"? Did you ever try letting go of the idea that there is a "next level"?

quote:

I did for a long time search for some outside assistance but could not find any, people were either ignorant of my problem or they did not want to give away the information I needed. Not many gurus in my part of the world.

Perhaps searching for the answers within might help you more then searching for the answers "without". As Yogani says; "the guru is in you".

quote:

Last night was the first time in years that I experienced something different. The energy surge did not show at all, instead the energy came up softly and the nervous system became vibrant. I could feel like small needles in different parts of my body and the experience reminded me of the early days when I was beginning to learn meditation. Last night was only the sixth time I have followed the instructions from this site!

Sounds like you are "ripe" for the AYP practices!

quote:

I take very seriously the instructions about self paging, but I feel there is so much time that has gone to waste and I can hardly wait to have my pranayama and meditation each day.

It is a very good idea to take the practice of self-pacing seriously. I didn't when I first came to AYP. AYP did some amazing things for me both physically and spiritually, and I was the same as you....more bhakti then I knew what to do with. Within a few months I was using the entire gamut of AYPractices, thinking I was above the "less is more" motto here, and I got burned. From the inside out. Basically had to start again from scratch. It is what it was, and that is a learning experience, and I have learned my lesson, I just hope that others can learn from my experience as well and save themselves the time, effort, and pain of overdoing things. Less truly is more with the AYPractices. Take it slow my friend and be diligent in watching for overload symptoms....especially if you are getting these kinds of experiences on day 6. You might want to check out this recent lesson on "Bhakti and Self-Pacing" http://www.aypsite.org/341.html

Wishing you all the best on your journey. Hope to hear more from you as you continue on with the practices.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi samara.Welcome.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and wish you all the best here in ayp. This is like a box full of surprises.

Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply, CarsonZi.I don´t know how to insert quotes so I paste them this time.

"I would hazard a guess that you might have an "overactive" pineal gland....or an open third eye/ajna chakra (perhaps they are the same thing). That's just the impression I get right off the bat."

Interesting, I´ll look into that. I always had the impression it was pretty closed. Don´t see much normally. There are exceptions though.

"Did you ever try "not trying"? Did you ever try letting go of the idea that there is a "next level"?"

Well, in a period of ten years that is sort of bound to happen. Most of the time I would just sit and do nothing, no mantra, not even observing breath. Just watch. Be observant with no expectations, is the first rule of mediation and it worked well for the first five years. Until the surges. The exception would be when meditating in a group, then I would have more experiences.

Take it slow my friend and be diligent in watching for overload symptoms....especially if you are getting these kinds of experiences on day 6...

Well, this experiences last night were similar to those I had in the mid nineties so they are not really new. I did however not think about self-pacing back then, in retrospect I probably should have.

The important question is how do you know when it is safe to go to the next level of practice? What symptoms or lack thereof do you look for?

I was told in the beginning to avoid stimulating kundalini because it could be dangerous. So I deliberately stayed away from any practices designed to stimulate the energies in the body. I wanted to play it safe and stick solely to meditation. After the surges started I asked around and found out that kundalini was a taboo, people didn´t want to mention the "k" word.

Now it seems that I have no choice but to confront this issue and learn how to live with whatever energy has already been released. So finding a smooth way to meditate and still getting results in my "neurological house cleaning" is my idea of "next level".

I only have to find out where in the program I belong, because obviously I am not a beginner, neither am I very advanced. How do I find when to advance to next technique?
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you miguel! I´m glad to be here.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Samsara...

You post quotes by clicking on the button above the post you want to quote that has the purple arrow on it.

quote:

I only have to find out where in the program I belong, because obviously I am not a beginner, neither am I very advanced. How do I find when to advance to next technique?

Only you will know when to "advance"....But the AYP instructions are not to add more then one new practice/mudra/bandha at a time and to wait after each new addition until our routine is "stabalized". Meaning not getting any physical, mental or spiritually uncomfortable symptoms from your practices. Usually around a month for each practice is a good start, but everyone is different.

If you have found that Spinal Breathing Pranayam and Deep Meditation with the addition of Sambhavi Mudra and Mulabandha has given you a smooth sadhana for the first time in a long time, then perhaps this is a good place for you as an individual to start. But I would let this practice set become your regular sadhana before adding anything more. And when you do feel ready to add another mudra or practice, it is advisable to only add one at a time....if you add more then one and you start to get overload symptoms (any uncomfortable feelings) you won't know exactly which practice it was that pushed you over. If you add one practice at a time after your sadhana is already stable then you will know exactly what practice is doing what experientially.

Good luck.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jul 23 2009 12:09:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

You post quotes by clicking on the button above the post you want to quote that has the purple arrow on it.

Thank you

Only you will know when to "advance"....But the AYP instructions are not to add more then one new practice/mudra/bandha at a time and to wait after each new addition until our routine is "stabalized". Meaning not getting any physical, mental or spiritually uncomfortable symptoms from your practices. Usually around a month for each practices, but everyone is different.

Yes, you are right. I already had a comfortable routine meditating using mantra and have been sitting cross legged all my life, so I did one time meditating only, and added pranayama the second time. It did not feel much different so I added mulabandha and sambhani, one at the time to see if anything would feel different and it finally did. I feel good now and have no physical symptoms, there is some bliss evident which I haven´t felt in ages. I will however observe my reactions closely.

If you have found that Spinal Breathing Pranayam and Deep Meditation with the addition of Sambhavi Mudra and Mulabandha has given you a smooth sadhana for the first time in a long time, then perhaps this is a good place for you as an individual to start. But I would let this practice set become your regular sadhana before adding anything more. And when you do feel ready to add another mudra or practice, it is advisable to only add one at a time....if you add more then one and you start to get overload symptoms (any uncomfortable feelings) you won't know exactly which practice it was that pushed you over. If you add one practice at a time after your sadhana is already stable then you will know exactly what practice is doing what experientially.

I will try them out one by one like you say. Thank you for wonderful advice. This means a lot to me. Especially now when I feel like I am finally getting back on track.

Thank you so much
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oooops, the purple arrow did not work...
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Got it! Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  1:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  2:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and Welcome samara!

Best wishes on your path
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  8:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan

Hi and Welcome samara!

Best wishes on your path

Thank you so much Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  9:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Samara.
Iceland rocks! Bjork is one of my favorite artists.
Welcome to the forum.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  9:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, samara! Glad you are joining us here

I would love to visit Iceland one day. It looks so beautiful and peaceful on the travel channel....

Good to have you here!

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  9:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Hi Samara.
Iceland rocks! Bjork is one of my favorite artists.
Welcome to the forum.

Well thank you Etherfish!

I agree, Bjork is highly original and a great artist. She follows her inner vision.
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  9:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

Welcome, samara! Glad you are joining us here

I would love to visit Iceland one day. It looks so beautiful and peaceful on the travel channel....

Good to have you here!

Peace
cosmic

Thank you cosmic

Yes this is a quiet place, or rather can be, depending on the person of course. Lots of wilderness and untouched nature to explore.
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Samara - this is a lovely place for guidance and support on your path.

(since we're talking Icelandic music, Sigur Ros, Amiina, Seabear, etc etc - there's some serious creativity going on in your country!)

Peace,

gri
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  08:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by grihastha

Welcome, Samara - this is a lovely place for guidance and support on your path.

(since we're talking Icelandic music, Sigur Ros, Amiina, Seabear, etc etc - there's some serious creativity going on in your country!)

Peace,

gri

Yeah I know. They are unstoppable.
Thank you gri
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  05:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi samara and welcome home!

quote:
Also to have the opportunity to ask questions if something happens, this is incredible!

I agree.....

Looking forward to hear more from you!

P.s.: Your English is perfect.

Edited by - mimirom on Jul 27 2009 05:25:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  10:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mimirom

Hi samara and welcome home!

Looking forward to hear more from you!

P.s.: Your English is perfect.

Thank you mimrom! You live in Prague? I once visited your city. Early spring 1989 I think. It is a beautiful place. Bet lot of things have changed since then.

I have been practicing AYP for 7 days now. I know it is not much, but I can already feel the difference. Now my meditation is smooth and delightful. No surges, no jumping out of my skin. For the first time in years I can just sit there and enjoy. I am so grateful that I found this site.

Samara
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000