New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  10:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Was just thinking about some of the great spiritual books that I have read over the past 20 years or so - books that have been of significant help "on the path...." I thought I would share them with you all. I'm also looking forward to checking out your favorites as well!!

1. A Gradual Awakening - Stephen Levine: This is one of the earliest spiritual/meditation books that I read. I had lent my copy to a friend many years ago and lost track of it. I recently found a used copy and re-read it. I found it to be just as profound as I did so many years ago. A real gem!

2. The Sun My Heart - Thich Nhat Hanh: My dear "root" teacher... I have read so many of his books, but for some reason this one has remained a favorite.

3. A Still Forest Pool; The Insight Meditation of Achaan Chah - compiled by Jack Kornfield: I believe this to be one of the truly inspiring books for meditation practice. As a facilitator for a meditation group in my town, I have used every part of this book when imparting teachings.

4. Zen Mind, Beginners Mind - Shunryu Suzuki: What can I say? A classic that is a constant source of inspiration.

5. The Voice of Knowledge - Don Miguel Ruiz: Along with "The Four Agreements", which I first heard about on this forum, The Voice of Knowledge is a simple, concise book that has really helped spark my interest in self inquiry.

6. Self Inquiry - Yogani: I have just finished reading this for the second time, and found it to be profound and very helpful, as are all of Yogani's books I have read.

7. Silence of the Heart - Dialogues with Robert Adams: A very influential and interesting book which has led me to numerous "ah-hah's"!

8. An Open Heart - HH The Dalai Lama: What can I say? Bodhicitta!!

9. Awareness - Anthony de Mello: Another book that I discovered through this forum. A beautiful, uplifting light of a book! More ah-hah's!!

10. Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung? - Ajahn Brahm: For all the little (and big) hits that we get during our lifetime, this is a funny and very bright beacon on dealing with all the "stuff" we encounter on the path.

Apart from these 10, I have to mention that snippets from books by Adyashanti, Sailor Bob ("What's wrong with right now unless you think about it?") and Ajahn Sumedho ("All thoughts are garbage") have all been very helpful in my practice!

But, after all is said... I have found all these writings to be great "pointers", but have found that words, while helpful, can be very limiting. The silence of meditation and the light of Bodhicitta remain my greatest friends and teachers on the path.

At any rate.... TAG - You're IT! Let's hear some of yours!!

jupiter

USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  4:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jupiter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

1. Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
2. Devotional Nonduality by David Hawkins
3. Advanced Yoga Practices + Enlightenment Series by Yogani
4. I Am That by Nisargadatta Maharaj
5. Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche
6. Zen Mind, Beginners Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
7. Journey of Awakening by Ram Dass
8. How to Hear the Voice of God by Susan Shumsky
9. A Search in Secret India by Paul Brunton
10. The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  7:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1. After the Ecstacy, the Laundry by Jack Kornfield.
2. The Spiritual Science of Kriya Yoga by Goswami Kriyananda.
3. Kunlun by Max Christensen.
4. Who am I? by Ramana Maharshi.
5. The Dhammapada translated by Ananda Maitreya.
6. Tao Te Ching.
7. Web That Has No Weaver by Ted K.
8. Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
9. Qi Gong for Total Wellness by Baolin Wu (just found this one).
10. The Way of Qigong by Kenneth Cohen.

And for number 11...I really like a lot of stuff in the Bible. Especially Jesus' sayings, and also OT stuff like Proverbs/Ecclesiastes/Job...
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  8:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1 The spirit and practice of moving into stillness...Erich Schiffmann
...Give yourself an internal massage everyday and feel wonderful!
2 Zen and the art of happiness...Chis Prentiss
...Everything happens for a reason...even my crappy heart genes.
3 Tao Te Ching
...all you need to know in clever short little poems
4 New Testament...various authors...I like John
...Focus on the red and save yourself a lot of confusion
5 Bhagavad Gita...commentary by Sri Satchidanada
...live your life without desire and dedicate the fruits to God.
6 Integral Yoga...Yoga Sutras of Patanjali...commentary by Sri Satchidananda
...still your mind.
7 Fire without fuel...Baba Hari Dass
...God inspired aphorisms to guide the way.
8 Be here now...Ram Dass
...the transition from a drug induced high to a God induced HIGH!
9 The teachings of Yogi Bhajan ... Yogi Bhajan
...In the beginning was the word = vibration = spanda = resonance with the universe!
10 Deep meditation...Yogani
...I am = AYAM = iaaAAAYYYAAAMMMmm~ = outpouring divine LOVE!

Edited by - machart on May 25 2009 11:56:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  02:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Illusions" by Richard Bach: Not the best book on spirituality, but definitely the one that started me on the path twenty some years ago when I was still in Junior High.

The Tao of Physics: Helped me realize the connection between science and spirituality.

The Road Less Traveled: I read this when I was 20 and I think it was the first book to get me to really look at who I was and what I was doing with my life.

The Art of Happiness: Helped to further fuel my interest in Tibetan Buddhism and the Dalia Lama.

The Indestructible Truth:Fascinating history of Tibetan Buddhism.

Secret of the Vajra World: By the same author. I've read this one a couple of times and still don't understand most of it, but I'm really drawn to it anyway.

Anything by Eckhart Tolle: His books are like a powerful mantra for me.

Happy for No Good Reason: Very easy to understand and practical.

The Yoga of Kashmir Shavaism: I'm reading this one now. Great introduction to Kashmir Shavaism. Also by Swami Shankrananda

Siddhartha: Herman Hesse is one of my favorite novelists.

Saint Francis:#12288;Also a novel, by Kazantzakis, but a lot of wisdom in it I think.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  07:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
The Way of the Bodhisattva by Shantideva (8th century indian buddhist scholar and saint)
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach (amazing)
The Alchemist by Pablo Cohelo (very good and enjoyable with spiritual wisdoms & insights)
I AM THAT by Nisargadatta Maharaj (reading it now)
Yogani's Lessons
Dhammapada by the Buddha

They're not in order, I like all of them. can't find other 2.

Edited by - Yonatan on May 24 2009 07:45:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  09:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

1) Lessons from the Light (George Anderson): An experience that opened me up to the spiritual possibilities
2) Peace is Every Step (Thich Nhat Hahn)
3) Open Heart, Open Mind (Fr Thomas Keating): Meditation in Christianity?? Who would have thought!
4) Essential Writings of Thomas Merton
5) Awakening (Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan): My introduction to Sufi thought and practices
6) Autobiography of a Yogi (Yogananda): Perhaps my single favorite book; supercharged my bhakti and introduced me to Kriya Yoga
7) Daughter of Fire, Diary of Spiritual Training with a Sufi Master (Irina Tweedie): Changed my views/attitude regarding the role of suffering in life
8) Interior Castle (Teresa of Avila): My favorite Christian mystic
9) Awareness (Anthony de Mello): Thoroughly enjoyable, fun and full of truth (thanks Ananda)
10) Everything by Yogani: Has literally changed my life, I am forever grateful to Yogani for opening the door to true spiritual transformation
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  10:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jupiter

[font=Georgia]
7. Journey of Awakening by Ram Dass

can you describe this one a little please? was it his journey or him telling you how to?
thanks
Neil
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  12:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a lit of 10 books.
But I do have a The Journey to Awakening.

Here is this book Ram Dass shares his understanding and explores the many paths of meditation-from mantra, prayers, singing, visualization, and just "sitting" to movement meditations such as t'ai chi and suggests how you can find a method suitable for you.
Witty and humurous advice on overcoming difficulties along the way.

Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  02:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent threat!

1.Alamut (Vladimir Bartol).(Non exactly spiritual book.But it show you the risks and dangers of religious fanatism).
2.Autobiography of a yogi (Yogananda).
3.A path with hearth (Kornfield).
4.I am That (N.Maharah)
5.Bhakti and Karma Yoga.The science of devotion and liberation through action. (Yogani).

Edited by - miguel on May 26 2009 02:55:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  11:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not necessarily in this order, but close:

1. Deep Meditation (Yogani)
2. Tao Te Ching (Lao Tzu)
3. The Dhammapada (Buddha)
4. The Gospel of Thomas (Thomas)
5. Introduction to Tantra (Lama Yeshe)
6. Light on Yoga (BKS Iyengar)
7. Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert Heinlein)
8. The Lotus Sutra (Buddha)
9. The Upanishads (?)
10. The Mystic Heart (Wayne Teasdale)
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  02:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Mystic Heart would probably be #11 on my list. Great book, written by an incredibly opened minded author. Highly recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  03:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

The Mystic Heart would probably be #11 on my list. Great book, written by an incredibly opened minded author. Highly recommend it.

Yeah, I think Kirtanman would appreciate this book....

Siddhartha would probably be my #11.

Steven, have you read "Buddha" by Deepak Chopra? It's not bad if you liked Siddhartha. It's a longer read, and is more modern but in a similar vein. You might enjoy it.

Peace brother
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  08:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just finished it about a month ago. I liked it very much. It goes a little more into depth about his life as well as giving a lot information about other people that were in his life at the time.

Emptiness Dancing by Adyashanti is another book that would have made it into my top ten, but I'm re-reading it and pondering the meaning, so I didn't list it here. This one has made a very big impact on me, though I haven't puzzled out exactly how yet.

Thanks everyone for putting your top 10 up here. Now I have a lot more books that I want and need to add to my collection despite the fact that I don't have enough bookshelves for the ones I already own.
Go to Top of Page

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  4:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

[quote]Originally posted by stevenbhow

Steven, have you read "Buddha" by Deepak Chopra?

If you like books on the life of the Buddha, I would like to highly recommend Old Path, White Clouds - Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha, by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Blessings
Phil
Go to Top of Page

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  5:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To throw a new curve into this thread, if you could recommend only ONE book to someone who was interested in the spiritual path, what would it be... and... using the old "if you were stranded on a desert island" what ONE book would you want with you?
Go to Top of Page

Simon

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  6:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably "I AM THAT" by Nisargadatta Maharaj.
Or "Daughter of Fire" by Irina Tweedie. Can't decide :)
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  7:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Desert island book:
Who am I? by Ramana Maharshi.
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  8:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Desert Island Book: either Advanced Yoga Practices, Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living or How to Survive Alone on a Desert Island...probably pick AYP
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  07:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think mine would be AYP, Easy lessons for ecstatic living too
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  07:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1) Vivekananda's Speeches - The readings that inspired me as a child
2) AYP Online Lessons - The writings that really got me to practice
3) Byron Katie, the Work - Made me question my beliefs
4) The Power of Now, Ekhart Tolle - Good read
5) Autobiography of a Yogi, Paramahamsa Yogananda - Good read
Go to Top of Page

Tam Phap

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  10:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tam Phap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I just remembered another little book that I actually read before all the other books that I wrote about on this thread and that was very influential... Raja Yoga by Vivekananda.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  12:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ODYSSEY OF THE SOUL
Book One -- Apocatastasis

Available for free online reading here:

http://www.odysseyofthesoul.org/b1/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  7:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1.In search of the miraculous by Ouspensky, a book I recently read that is still helping me to do valuable cleaning up. Provocative and essential.
2.The I Ching, book of changes (translated by Wilhelm), a precious campanion on the path
3.Zen mind, beginners mind by Shunryu Suzuki, the first spiritual book I ever read also managed to spark deeply my interest in self transformation, thank you Suzuki Roshi !
4.The mustard seed (commentary on the Gospel of Thomas) by Osho, opened up my eyes and heart to the teachings of Jesus, and to the spiritual genius of Osho
5.Bagavad Gita, my favorite scripture
6.Gospel of Ramakrishna, I find Ramakrishna just irresistible and a spiritual giant
7."Memories, dreams, reflections" by C.G. Jung, helped me get back to my senses after I crashed in the aftermath of my awakening. Very grateful to Jung.
8. "Pathway to God consciousness" by Goswami Kriyananda, I love all his books, most of them based on esoteric astrology. High class style and intellectual integrity
9. "Self inquiry, dawn of the witness and the end of suffering" by Yogani is my favorite in the list of his remarkable book series. Also love the book title.
10. Autobiography of a Yogi by Yogananda, even if I am quite turned off by miracles and extraordinary magical achievements I like the sweetness (bakhti) of Yogananda in the book

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  01:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jalamanta (Rudolfo Anaya) is another gem I've overlooked...

quote:
Originally posted by Tam Phap

If you like books on the life of the Buddha, I would like to highly recommend Old Path, White Clouds - Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha, by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I've read some of his other works and found them to be enjoyable and valuable.
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  7:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The books which probably had the biggest impact on my life have been:

1 The Gospel of John
2 Bhagavad Gita
3/4 Thomas Merton's 'Seven-Storey Mountain' and 'Asian Journal'
5 Da Love-Ananda's 'Knee of Listening' (nb first edition)
6 The Gospel According to Ramakrishna
7 Lex Hixon's 'Mother of the Universe - Tantric Hymns of Enlightenment'
8 Ramana Maharshi's 'Collected Works'
9 Sivananda's 'Kundalini Yoga'
10 Nisargadatta's 'I Am That'.

The late Lex Hixon is worth a look for those who don't know him. Like Merton a shapeshifting teacher of the creative word, rooted in inner silence and light. Like Merton, capable of inhabiting one tradition after another and presenting each inspiringly so that their sages endorse his texts with admiration. Hixon's other texts include 'Living Buddha Zen' and 'Great Swan'.

The Desert Island Book would have to be Nisargadatta.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000