Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 kapal bhati pranayam?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  7:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am thinking about mixing things up and adding in some more pranayama to supplement spinal breathing. In a previous post we disussed Alt nostril breathing. Anyone have any feeling about mixing in kapal bhati as well?

Edited by - solo on May 22 2009 08:26:56 AM

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  9:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well- when I first read it I thought this meant-
a bhakti pal, scrambled up- but then researched that there is kapalbhati pranayam----
funny thing this mind.

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  03:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  06:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As we are discussing pranayama, wouldn't this fit best under the pranayama forum? I believe that Yogani discusses this form of pranayama in lesson 319 or something like that.

Ultimately, it doesn't make much of a difference to me where the post is posted so long as it can generate some discussion. I just don't want you to think I was messing up your forum intentionally!

Edited by - solo on May 22 2009 08:28:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  1:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  1:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo:

Traditionally, kapalbhati is considered a shatkarma, and it is covered in the AYP Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli (DSA) book from that perspective.

Of course, there is overlap in many things in yoga. Nauli is also a traditional shatkarma, but is normally done as part of an asana routine. Siddhasana is technically an asana, but is closely associated with mudras, bandhas and tantric sexual methods. And so it goes...

I agree that kapalbhati belongs back in an AYP practice forum, since we do cover it in the DSA book and in the online lessons (in Lesson 316). I'll put it in "Yamas and Niyamas," which is where the shatkarmas are usually discussed (they are niyamas).

The AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas forum category is reserved for support on spinal breathing pranayama, spinal bastrika, and related AYP pranayamas, mudras and bandhas. Likewise, the AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama forum category is reserved for support on those practices. Other things tend to get moved out of these two forum categories for clarity sake, so it was appropriate for kapalbhakti to be moved out. Now we will send it to its right home.

If we don't do this kind of housekeeping, things can get rather confusing for those seeking support on AYP-style deep meditation (DM), spinal breathing pranayama (SBP) and closely related practices. The rest of the forum categories have a lot more diversity in them, discussing many things. But those two, in particular, we try and keep as focused as possible, because DM and SBP are the foundational practices of AYP, and we'd like to have clear support for them.

Hope that clarifies things a bit. Thanks much for your contributions to the forums!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000