The thoughtless state
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  06:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
namaste wise ones,

since Yogani's last lesson i was wondering about a state of mind which is becoming more and more frequent in my case and where does it fit in the list Yogani wrote.

anyways it's a lovely state and i've been on and off it in a very lucid way since i've read the book awareness by Anthony de mello (http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ony,de,mello).

http://www.aypsite.org/327.html
quote:
Assuming one is engaged in daily deep meditation, here are five stages of mind that self-inquiry may play itself upon as we move along in our development:

1. Pre-Witnessing – Information and intellectual assessments about truth provide inspiration, and a tendency to build mental castles in the air, ideas reacting with ideas, which is non-relational self-inquiry. So we do what is necessary to cultivate the witness.

2. Witnessing – Perceiving the world, our thoughts and feelings as objects separate from Self. It is the beginning of relational self-inquiry, chosen or not.

3. Discrimination – The reversal of identification by logical choices based on direct perception rooted in stillness. This is more advanced relational self-inquiry which is able to discern the real from the unreal.

4. Dispassion – Rise of the condition of no judgment and no attachment. The process of self-inquiry becoming automatic to the point of all objects and self-inquiry itself being constantly dissolved in the witness.

5. Unity – The merging of subject and object: "I am That. You are That. All this is That." Ongoing outpouring divine love and service to others as universal Self.

now i can dare say that i might be between state three and 4, and state 5 is still among the lines of the intellect.

but out of this list, there seems to be a dawning of a new state a state of no thought of just being here and now.

and i must admit that it seems to be one of the best discoveries i have made yet along my spiritual path cz it's literally freedom.

just being here and now without thoughts of the past or the future and enjoying things in a more in depth way.

it's like everything is new and i am discovering it again down to the small details.

the clouds are lovelier, people's faces are more real, each living being is unique and not the same as the scd.

a butterfly isn't like the scd one and the same goes for plants, trees, rocks....

a paper of money is a peace of paper, a Lebanese an American are just words nthg more nthg less...

the awareness stuff taught in that book will go along very nicely with ayp i recommend them both together heartily.

and if anyone has any feed back about this state if it is indeed a state, i would appreciate it if he\she would share his\her knowledge with us.

light and love,

Ananda

Edited by - Ananda on May 06 2009 2:41:29 PM

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am so happy to hear of your aliveness in the moment, Ananda
You describe it so beautifully.....

Thanks for sharing.....and yes.....when the letting go happens naturally......when the space opens up and renders one thought free.....it is such a blessing...and when thoughts come back....even thoughts are thoughts that are free to come and go

The depth is very profound.....
The thought free state is the same as staying with the father-like essence here now . I do not feel it is a state.....since it is dynamic (alive) as well as still. It is realness in itself. The depth of this realness...is....impossible to evaluate....it seems to be bottomless.....and the more it is stayed with....the more.....it is just One....or not even that.....

I don't know why it feels father-like here......it seems to be related to the depth of it....the only way i can express it is to say that....it is like loving God of all my heart.

There has often been thoughtlessness (especially the past year or two) here earlier too......but it was spaciousness....stillness....but not the quality of the essence that is here now......that is why it seems to be never ending....the befriending with it in depth.....

quote:
and if anyone has any feed back about this state if it is indeed a state, i would appreciate it if he'd share his knowledge with us.

and though I am not a he.....and don't have much knowledge .........here it seems that when I am what I am....when all the energy is with that which IS....then the moment is continuously "eating" the identification with any object....thoughts, emotions, sensations....anything.

this eating is not perceived consistantly here..........in other words.....i am not always what i am....*lol*....sounds ridiculous....but here you have it......and if assessing where I am on the list....I'd say.....all over the place 1-5......*lol*.....although definitely able to discern what is what [:)

......by the way.....I read Anthony de Mello when in Dublin last.....I really enjoyed it.

So thank you again Ananda

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can a she share something with you?

Yes Ananda, it is a very beautiful stage. Just being here now and every moment feeling like a new moment. At first this state comes and goes and then it becomes more and more natural and predominant. It is a bit scary at first because the mind is for one scared it is losing its powers and for two does not know what to do with itself anymore.

This is living in the gap, the silence becoming the dominant part of our life..

"thought|gap|thought|gap|thought"

When we are completely caught up in thoughts, we don't even realize there is a gap between two thoughts. But with meditation we soon get in touch with these gaps. At first these gaps maybe a few fleeting seconds.. then they are experienced more and more.. and the more we start living from the gap than from our thoughts the more we start experiencing living in the "here and now".

You may be right in saying it is a combination of stage 3,4 and 5.. with us touching one of these three stages as we move along the day. The truly "here, now" moments are more of stage 5 and at times 4 I think.

The beauty is.. it never stops.. you let go and let go...and let go.. and more is revealed to let go. Like Yogani said.. in stage 5 it is more of "neti neti".. not this not this. When the gross letting go has happened, subtle letting go starts... and it is so wonderful to watch things revealed and fall away. This is where the "dropping boundaries" came from. There is so much more to open.. and yet when you are here now.. you are not waiting for the next opening.. you are going with whatever is here now... even if it is tears and discomfort or happiness and loving. When you are truly here now.. even tears and discomfort can be felt and seen though in the here now.. and when its gone there is not a need to go back and analyze it.. the past min is just as much the past as 5 years was or 10 or 15.. 1 min in the future is just as much in the future as 1 week or month or year.

As long as you don't hold on to this stage.. open and drop boundaries.. it will become more and more a part of you. It is a process.. and a never ending one at that.

I am really happy for you Ananda to be experiencing this.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  09:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananda, Katrine, Shanti,

Wonderful posts ... thank you all ...

Love and Light,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  10:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you very much for sharing...i cant help you very much with your questions,but congratulations Ananda,it sounds wonderful! carry on!
wish you all the best in your journey
love

Edited by - miguel on May 06 2009 10:23:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  2:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
katrine and Shanti, it's always a blessing to have you around and i did edit the post.

guess i really deserve the hammering on the head for being not only thoughtless but also sexist

thk you for the lovely posts you guys, you never disapoint.

by the way, even though the he who is speaking with you is pretty masculine from the outside he is pretty much in touch with the divine feminine inside him and sees it manifesting in all.

and i think it's pretty safe to say that most of us yogi men are in touch with the divine mother within us which makes us more caring and loving..

much love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  2:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
brothers Steve and miguel, i appreciate your support and thk you for your beautiful contributions to the forums and it's good to see love in action.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
by the way, even though the he who is speaking with you is pretty masculine from the outside he is pretty much in touch with the divine feminine inside him and sees it manifesting in all.

and i think it's pretty safe to say that most of us yogi men are in touch with the divine mother within us which makes us more caring and loving..

much love,

Ananda

on forehead while holding your ears ....*lol*.....
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  4:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  5:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm right there with you Ananda. My wife calls me thoughtless all the time

Kidding of course. Wonderful post.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  8:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no thoughts to add here...
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  9:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

I have no thoughts to add here...

uhhhhh......
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  01:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thk you for the morning laughs amigos, and a good day to ya all.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  02:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
haha....not at all amigooo...buen dia!

Edited by - miguel on May 07 2009 03:23:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  3:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
buena serra brother miguel, by the way i forgot to tell you that my father lived a whole year in Mexico back in the 70's and he taught me a few decent words in Spanish but the rest is very naughty

"Cuidate mucho!" hope i got that right.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  4:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh,"buona sera" is italian i think
"cuidate mucho" is perfectly right,dont worry
Viva México lindo,ándale compadreee!!!
My best wishes brother!

Edited by - miguel on May 07 2009 4:19:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  4:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

quote:
4. Dispassion – Rise of the condition of no judgment and no attachment.
would that be approaching the "sankhara upekkha jnana," in classical Buddhist terms? Anyone?

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
andale andale muchacho hehehe, i feel like such a dummy due to the mix up.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  1:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
haha..the expresion is right and very funny..hahaha
Thanks for the laugh amigo Ananda!
I hope someday you will show me some funny expressions from your beautiful country!

Edited by - miguel on May 08 2009 1:46:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,
I haven't experienced the thought-free state you mentioned but reading the words "thought free" and "thoughtless & sexist" in one thread got me scared. I'd like to know how this thought-free state affects life (i.e. social skills, driving skills, ...) any noticable difference??
Shes are more than welcome of course.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  11:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think maybe (ha ha) the thoughtless state could be a lessening of the bondage to thought. The "me" thought is at the center of attaching to thought. The more transparent the importance of the thought of the appearance of an independent "me" the less bondage of all the thoughts that cling to that "me" thought. There becomes less of a tendency to get caught up in a storm of thoughts or have them stick to any central "me" thought.

Edited by - Balance on May 11 2009 11:37:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
brother Emil, the thoughtless and sexist part was a joke.

and about this state to lay it out and other than what i already mentioned: it's a new thing that's definite a new awareness with a lot of lucidity and presence which wasn't here b4 simply put it's lovely and makes life more exiting and brings out benefit and joy and a better understanding for the present.

the food tastes better even the air..

driving skills are way much better and the scenery is way much lovelier on the road.. everything is better my friend.

i think the witness state has gotten way much stronger..

but it remains just a state in an unending evolution which will lead always to better and better... states of mind and being.

and i guess it's best for you to do daily practices and experience it by yourself in due time.

peace

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  1:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

I think maybe (ha ha) the thoughtless state could be a lessening of the bondage to thought. The "me" thought is at the center of attaching to thought. The more transparent the importance of the thought of the appearance of an independent "me" the less bondage of all the thoughts that cling to that "me" thought. There becomes less of a tendency to get caught up in a storm of thoughts or have them stick to any central "me" thought.

Hi balance, and thk you for your input.

your explanation seems good pretty much like what Shweta mentioned about the gap.

L&L,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  02:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ananda,
Can I ask how long have you been practicing AYP and what was the path that lead to this wonderfull state of mind. Did you have a Kundalini awakening? What practices did you attend? and more...

Thanks,
Emil
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  03:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you're welcome brother Emil,

it's been a year or so now since i started practicing AYP (but like nine months or so in a constant way without skipping any session)

but i've been involved in spiritual practices from all sort for about 7 years now, mainly the ones involving bhakti (devotion) in the beginning plus i had a teacher back then who literally was killing my ego (and i used to pray and fast a lot.)

then i started to experiment with all sorts of meditation and astral projection techniques...

after wards i met a beautiful soul who introduced me into the world of advaita via the lineage of Sri krishna Menon... then mindfulness... suffism... than started doing direct yoga practices on and off like maybe 3 years back and my k awakened throughout the place last year.

but fair is fair, all the constant beautiful experiences and steady progress started when i got involved in the practice of AYP daily plus if it haven't been for AYP i would've ended up a mess due to my premature kundalini awakening.

my advise is stick to AYP and add on some basic self inquiry and mindfulness to it; all the stuff i have been into seems like preparatory work in order to engage with some advanced yoga practices.

AYP is the real deal and who figures but it's here for free on the net and you don't have to go on begging for knowledge like i used to.

by the way if it wasn't for AYP i don't think that i would react the same to the stuff i found in that book awareness.

deep meditation and spinal breathing pranayama are definitely the two best practices i've ever encountered and they bring out a good foundation to build on whatever spiritual practices you're engaged in.

love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  03:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
reading this post again it seems that i missed mentioning the entire name of the advaita guru which is Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon.

take a look here if you like, just some food for thought:
http://www.advaita.org.uk/discourse...mananda1.htm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000