Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 The Singularity is Near?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  12:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For those into "pop" science related to consciousness...

One fringe of materialistic science world view or methodology posits that in future (about 2045) there will be a Singularity. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Si...rity_is_Near

Some don't agree with this in fundamental terms of what Consciousness is, see this relatively old presentation: http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/Google_000.htm Very long and detailed.

quote:

In a rebuttal paper[1], Hameroff asserts that the quantum processing power required for consciousness is at an order of magnitude greater than can be expressed through conventional systems of processing measurement. This argument seems to ignore Kurzweil's premise that accelerating returns in development of present technologies could, in a nominal period, overcome such a barrier. Additionally, other technologies could emerge which greatly lower the time required to reach the Singularity. A notable example would be more advanced forms of quantum computing capable of full neural emulation, which on a large enough scale, could function equivalently to the biological human brain.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  8:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't watch the second one, but yes, I think this singularity is quite probable. (Terminator - the Sarah Conner chronicles!}

i think it could be sooner then 2045. I believe the only thing holding it up is the machine-brain interface. And we have made great strides in that direction. Blind people have been made to see; deaf people can hear. The "resolution" of it has to be increased.
Once this is perfected, video game technologies will coincide with medical. At that point, people will begin to live their entire lives in cyber space. Why? because it will be able to turn squalor into paradise. This will give corporations control of very poor people.
They will do the low paid jobs in exchange for virtual heaven. This will provide all the goods and services for society at a low cost, cheapen healthcare, food, everything. Whole cities will be built cheaply that are purely functional and practical with no attention to looks, because the looks will be artificially added and everyone will see an illusion based on their preferences.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  10:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not going to happen. Human mind will not go this way. The interdependence of the heart consciousness and Earth changes will cause a backwards shift. The so-called age of enlightenment that's coming, will be more like a return to a simpler way of life.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  10:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there will be a split. A simpler way of life will be those that shun the virtual reality.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think its 50/50. The argument that Bill Joy makes in "Why the future doesn't need us" is very powerful. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_th...%27t_need_us

quote:

"Our most powerful 21st-century technologies — robotics, genetic engineering, and nanotech — are threatening to make humans an endangered species."

But, here is a good rebuttal to that piece: http://www.aaas.org/spp/rd/ch4.pdf

I pray that Konchok is correct. Something must come up to bring us back to simplicity and sustainable socioeconomic structures and most importantly the eye of wisdom must open. Else, yup, Frankenstein monster scenarios (we already have Frankenfoods!).

Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

I think there will be a split. A simpler way of life will be those that shun the virtual reality.

Hopefully not like the two sides shown in The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  12:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

At that point, people will begin to live their entire lives in cyber space. They will do the low paid jobs in exchange for virtual heaven.

Wow. People will voluntarily plug themselves into the Matrix?!

I can see that possibility, but I too hope Ösel is right
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  10:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

From a spiritual perspective, the question is, if/when machines become self-aware (the singularity), will they eventually be able to become enlightened? Will they be endowed with (or evolve) the necessary internal capabilities? And what are those capabilities?

This is being addressed by the human species (for itself) on an ever-growing scale. Will the machines be far behind?

I Robot: "Who am I? ... I am That."

The guru is in you.

PS: It is theoretical, of course. If we can hypothesize (and create?) an "enlightenable" machine, we will likely come to understand our own inner process of spiritual transformation much better.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that is quite likely. The only way souls would choose to incarnate into a machine is if it is practical for the enlightenment path. I don't see machines being self aware anytime soon though.
But they will certainly act like it.
It would be interesting to know if prana would ever be implanted in a machine.
Of course some think that is what we are!

--------------------
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

quote:

At that point, people will begin to live their entire lives in cyber space. They will do the low paid jobs in exchange for virtual heaven.

Wow. People will voluntarily plug themselves into the Matrix?!

Of course they will. have you watched kids with video games?
Look how fast those have progressed in just a couple years.
There are already a lot of kids who spend ALL their spare time playing video games. This is essentially choosing to live in cyber space.

cosmic_troll:
quote:

I can see that possibility, but I too hope Ösel is right

There is no way the whole race will go in one direction!
We all have free choice. But do you see anyone making choices that you would never make? I could list at least 50 lifestyle choices that many people are following all over the world, that I find either disgusting, idiotic, shortsighted, or totally wacko!

Edited by - Etherfish on May 05 2009 6:56:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  11:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting, can advanced AI sentients eventually transcend? I guess so if all the quantum unified field link to consciousness speculations are true. We just need to connect Asimovian Positronic Brains to the Internet, then a few hours later, browsers all over the world will display, I AM.

Ray Kurzweil who postulates the Singularity, also wrote a book called The Age of Spiritual Machines that I thought would delve into the title's subject, but it just sticks to AI stuff.

The massive timeline from the book is: timeline.

-- jo-self
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  11:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The logical continuation of this train of thought is to wonder how many other life forms besides humans are enlightenable?
Yogananda said we are unique on earth and animals don't have the privilege. I don't know how he would know, but I tend to believe him.

But what about microscopic animals? Some say animals reincarnate as humans. What about aliens in other solar systems? Castaneda referred to consciousnesses on earth that we can't see, like in the wind. Many of us have seen other dimensions where things were living. Is the space/time continuum the only framework?
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  7:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The logical continuation of this train of thought is to wonder how many other life forms besides humans are enlightenable?
Yogananda said we are unique on earth and animals don't have the privilege. I don't know how he would know, but I tend to believe him.

I read that our cerebral cortex has six layers, whereas animals do not, not even dolphins. Perhaps that extra layer is the 'awareness of awareness'?

quote:
But what about microscopic animals? Some say animals reincarnate as humans. What about aliens in other solar systems? Castaneda referred to consciousnesses on earth that we can't see, like in the wind. Many of us have seen other dimensions where things were living. Is the space/time continuum the only framework?

The space-time continuum is very complex nowadays; now there are "branes" and multiverses and other weird stuff in String Theory.

But, very strange if other life forms could not know "reality", or maybe they do and transparently just witness; how would we know? Perhaps, they just ARE, whereas we think we are acting; it's just the three gunas ...

The mysteries of the brain remain; they even found out that birds are much more complicated, they not only dance, like that snowflake parrot, but do brainy things. How could they if their brain is not complex like ours? Perhaps, the ancient view is correct and the brain is not the center of consciousness?

What a coincidence. After starting this thread I found out today that there is a new movie on this Singularity stuff. And, was slashdotted.

-- jo-self

Edited by - Jo-self on May 06 2009 8:12:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  9:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Of course they will. have you watched kids with video games?
Look how fast those have progressed in just a couple years.
There are already a lot of kids who spend ALL their spare time playing video games. This is essentially choosing to live in cyber space.

LOL believe me, I know. I worked in the video game industry for years. Whenever people start talking about WoW (World of Warcraft), I back away real slowly. I've literally seen lives ruined by WoW (no exaggeration).
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-self

I think its 50/50. The argument that Bill Joy makes in "Why the future doesn't need us" is very powerful. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_th...%27t_need_us

quote:

"Our most powerful 21st-century technologies — robotics, genetic engineering, and nanotech — are threatening to make humans an endangered species."

But, here is a good rebuttal to that piece: http://www.aaas.org/spp/rd/ch4.pdf

I pray that Konchok is correct. Something must come up to bring us back to simplicity and sustainable socioeconomic structures and most importantly the eye of wisdom must open. Else, yup, Frankenstein monster scenarios (we already have Frankenfoods!).

The present doesn't need us either. Here we are.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great point!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  9:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi All:

From a spiritual perspective, the question is, if/when machines become self-aware (the singularity), will they eventually be able to become enlightened? Will they be endowed with (or evolve) the necessary internal capabilities? And what are those capabilities?

This is being addressed by the human species (for itself) on an ever-growing scale. Will the machines be far behind?

I Robot: "Who am I? ... I am That."

The guru is in you.

PS: It is theoretical, of course. If we can hypothesize (and create?) an "enlightenable" machine, we will likely come to understand our own inner process of spiritual transformation much better.

then people will start marrying machines and having babies, heck, some of us are pratically married to our computers now

Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Will machines develop clairvoyance and other miracle powers? That will take millions of years. By that time, the machines will not be machines any more than we are machines.

We are in a degenerate age. Perhaps machines will gain prominence, but it will not be an improvement.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  12:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But we ARE machines! People assume machines are metal and gears and wires. But our bodies are very much machines. They are just more complex than the machines we build. The only thing that could not be created is the life force within them.
Does this life force come from a soul deciding to live within this machine? I think so. I think a soul picks a machine that it feels will be adequate to fulfill the requirements of the next lifetime, and enters it. This is the point the machine becomes alive.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  2:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if this machine will wake up? Will a soul find it inviting and use it as a karmic vehicle? Or will a demon come instead?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...machine.html

I wonder if the artificial brain will because of its speed be able to advance even faster then humans in yoga. Guess it depends what one means by yoga.

-jb

Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  9:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be fun to be on the team that does the Turing Test.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  9:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if anyone mentioned this documentary yet, but very fascinating stuff related to AI, the Singularity, and the future of humans.

<http://www.documentary-log.com/d314...ment3176>
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  6:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The next book I will be reading is a fiction work: "www:wake" by Robert J. Sawyer. Seems relevant to the topic.

Currently reading another fiction work "Dark Matter" by Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

-- Josef
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  12:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about computers becoming enlightened... that's seems a long, long way off.

But the concept of the singularity is completely bunk. The singularity requires an exponentially increasing levels of novelty. Not going to happen. Development of technology, including information technology, will follow an s-curve path like everything else.

Technology is awesome, and as some people have already noted, we do have a form of virtual reality already... its just different from what we thought it would be.

Im not too worried about dystopian predictions like the one supposed by Etherfish. I mean, that is just action movie stuff.

But it would be foolish to ignore that computer technology presents perils just as anything else.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  07:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting article I read on a biologist's new approach called Operator Hierarchy. Some critiques of this view point is that it is circular and so forth, similar to that shown to "Autopoiesis". Anyway, why it's posted here is for this interesting point about what is the next stage in evolution.

quote:
... On earth the so-called ‘memon’ is the most complex operator and is characterized by its neural
network. About what will be the next step in evolution ... The operator hierarchy now speaks in favor of technical
intelligence, because the position of the next operator is associated with a property
called ‘structural copying of information’. The latter property indicates the capacity
of a memon to copy its learned information by means of replicating the structure of
its brain, just as a cell copies its survival information by replicating its DNA. The
passing on of information via learning is insufficient for this property! It is unlikely,
if not impossible, that memons based on organic cells will ever develop the structural
copying of information property, because structural copying requires that the memon
autonomously identify all of its cells and their connections with other cells and precisely
measure the connection strengths of these connections. In contrast, the brain
of a technical memon relies on computer files, which are easy to copy. This reasoning
implies that the next memon must show technical intelligence, a conclusion that tears
down the walls between biology and robotics and places artificial intelligence at the
heart of evolution on earth.

I don't agree with it. For one thing it makes the duplication of information be a single individual process, but, today even with the primitive level of the internet, we can see that information use and duplication is transhuman, we don't have to have the central wisemen in the cave who remember history. The future internet will be our "Akashic Records".

-- jo-self

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000