to those who hear the sound OM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  1:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
in one of my peak experiences i experienced once the sound OM.

but now i am kind of experiencing a new kind of vibe at the third eye which was happening from a while back now but has turned very lucid these last few days especially this morning.

so i was wondering for those of you who hear the sound OM, do you really hear it as is or is it some sort of a lucid buzzing with clarity which happens at the third eye a bit before the point between the brows and a person can actually meditate on and if given a bit of attention can sound like an OM.

p.s: it's smthg very different than the ringing in the ears (meditation induced tinitus)

light and love,

Ananda

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  01:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,

YSS of Yogananda, teaches an Om technique, which will result in your hearing the "Om" sound. I have just started the practice. If you are doing the same, I am very interested in learning what the sound is actually like. I understand it sounds like the roar of the ocean when you are near the seashore, It is also called a "symphony of many sounds" emanating from the chakras. Would be happy to hear your experience, and any tips.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  03:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi krish,

yes it is close to hearing the roar of an ocean you may say but in a more lucid and stable way but i am not using any OM techniques just Yogani's AYP and 24\7 self enquiry and mindfulness.

about the sounds i've heard a lot of them during and out of practice (birds, bells, flute, harp, angels singing, a sheikh praying...) but as i understood from what Yogani says in the lessons it's just scenery coming from the opening of the heart center "anahata: unstruck sound."

and the reason why i asked about this sound is bcz it's really different and i can use it to go deeper or higher you may say but on the other hand it might be as well one of those scenery which come for a while then go so i am not doing too much clinging on it.

but i am positive that there are some around here who hear the OM sound, and if my memory serves me right maybe Katrine is one of them so if you are reading this katrine we would like it if you could chime in.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  4:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what is "meditation induced tinitus"?
thanks
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  6:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda

quote:
so i was wondering for those of you who hear the sound OM, do you really hear it as is or is it some sort of a lucid buzzing with clarity which happens at the third eye a bit before the point between the brows and a person can actually meditate on and if given a bit of attention can sound like an OM.

The Om....yes....it is definitely connected with the Ajna...because when I was listening to it...the Ajna would throb......

Yet no....the way it is heard here it is not located anywhere....it simply permeats everything......it is all over the place....I can close my ears with the fingers....or not....the sound is exactly the same......and it is constant.....the volume can vary here (now that there was overload it was an oceanic roar...yet still the same tone).....and how to describe the sound.....hmmm......

It is alive.....it is full......it is humming...and yet it is "still" as in constant.....? ...it is always the same ....tone......yet that tone.....contains all tones in it....this is a paradox....all the octaves in one note....it is not like this on a piano ...*lol*....

Earlier....I now and then sang with it...intoning the sound I already heard.....when I stopped singing....the whole room was ringing loud with it for quite a while....like bell waves of sound ....this too was very powerful......but caused overload.

quote:
and the reason why i asked about this sound is bcz it's really different and i can use it to go deeper or higher you may say but on the other hand it might be as well one of those scenery which come for a while then go so i am not doing too much clinging on it.

I don't know Ananda.....some has this as their meditation practice...but I know nothing of this.....cannot advise you....all I know is the pull I felt ...and the ecstacy increase when focusing on it.....a few seconds was enough.......because it caused overload I couldn't do it much....which as it turned out was a blessing...

I stopped listening to it...
After the experience of being inside it....it felt unnecessary...since...what we are....the essence..... is before it. Behind it...

And letting go into silence....the letting go of all...even that sound.......seems to be what is.

And the OM is still heard here all the time.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  6:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda....Katrine.....
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

It is alive.....it is full......it is humming...and yet it is "still" as in constant.....? ...it is always the same ....tone......yet that tone.....contains all tones in it....this is a paradox....all the octaves in one note....it is not like this on a piano ...*lol*....

This is my experience as well..... I likened it to color in that it was like seeing all colors in one beautiful color....but with sound.....all vibrations in one. I don't hear it often though. I feel lucky when I do.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  05:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

what is "meditation induced tinitus"?
thanks
brother Neil

namaste brother Neil,

this topic will give you a good idea about it:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....,in,the,ears

L&L,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  05:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
salute from Beirut to sweet Katrine and brother Carson, and thk you for you valuable add on.

your experience with it seems a lot more intense than mine Katrine, it seems to be an on and off thing in my case as i've noticed from yesterday.

kindest regards,

Ananda

Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just read in a book on the paranormal today that there can be a sound like the one you described. It is not the OM but similar to the sound you hear when you put your ear against a sea shell. Perhaps you are picking up a psychic frequency of some kind?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  09:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi gumpi, it's a possibility.

but in all ways it seems like coming and going scenery nothing more nothing less and not the sound OM and down the road i guess that even OM, christ, muhamad, moses, krishna and all that stuff is just another ladder to step up and the End\God\Truth is simply put a never ending unknown.

light and love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  04:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if it's the OM I hear, or if it's just a lot of buzzing energies, but often when I wake up in the morning or in the middle of the night, it's a sound and vibration of a "motor" going, and it's not able to locate anywhere. That motorsound can sometimes refine into a constant tone. I interpret it as OM by the following reason: On rare occasions when I have participated in group meditations where we have chanted the OM loud, this motor/tone that comes is the same that I hear in the mornings and nights. Ocassionally, I also have that tone going in the background during practices. Then it's really difficult to stay with the mantra AYAM, because the OM is so much stronger and persistent... I then just have to remember to come back to the mantra and put it in the foreground somehow by mere attention and let the OM be in the background... Those periods when OM is present quickly leads into overload, so I have to self-pace a lot when it's visiting.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  7:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

salute from Beirut to sweet Katrine and brother Carson, and thk you for you valuable add on.

your experience with it seems a lot more intense than mine Katrine, it seems to be an on and off thing in my case as i've noticed from yesterday.

kindest regards,

Ananda

thanks ananda

Edited by - brother neil on Apr 26 2009 8:09:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  11:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Roll with it. It's cool. Nothing special. The recent scenery.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  03:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thk you for sharing your experience with us emc; you're welcome brother neil;and to mr. konchok i agree with you (just the recent scenery.)

love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

mysticone

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  1:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit mysticone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my first posting here, but if anyone has a comment on this it would be greatly appreciated. Many times during meditation and at other times during the day (not in medtation) I will here the word Om, as if it is sang or spoken in a long never ending sound of Om. It is not the roaring of an ocean, but the continous spoken sound of Om. Has anyone else had this happen?
Jai Guru
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i practice nada yoga many hours a day, so much that i hear the sounds all the time no matter what, in meditation or not. many sounds from earthly to heavenly, bells, drums, flutes with beatuiful flow like etheric water if that makes sense, very unreal, out of this world. starts at agya doorway then moves to the rooftops, heard in the right ear predominately sometimes both on occasion.

High above in the Lord's mansion ringeth the transcendental music. But, alas, the unlucky hear Him not; They are in deep slumber
-Guru Nanak

In the center between the two eyes appears a shining winged moth. In the middle of the wings is an entry point. When you pierce that veil and enter within you will have crossed over to the land of eternal awakening and freedom. This world will bother you no more. You are liberated. Only those can enter this gate who have become perfect and have overcome relativities and qualities. When they enter the world of the Absolute they will never be separated from the Lord ever. There is the seat of eternal music, the music of the spheres. One who practices this sound principle gains entry into this kingdom

-Kabir

also read Nada Bindu Upanishad

some people say it comes from the root, others say manipur, others say it comes from the heart and others say it comes from the brain. i would have to agree that it comes from the brain, i didnt hear them until my 3rd eye awakened.

Edited by - michaelangelo7 on May 15 2009 9:33:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  12:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZ,Katrine,Michaelangelo7Mysticone,Konchok,

Any tips on what practice will help me hear "om" fastest will be appreciated. At present, I am practicing SRF's(Yogananda) Om technique for 20 mins. twice everyday. I believe it is an essential in the path to enlightenment.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
still mind meditation will make u hear them, i recommend doing it at night, late at night if u can, much quieter then. no thoughts, something u mature into, cant be done by artificial means, i dont use any technique. some people say plugging the ears helps in the beginning to drown out outside noise, this makes sense because what u are doing is ignoring everything but the inner sounds
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  3:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi krcqimpro1

quote:
Any tips on what practice will help me hear "om" fastest will be appreciated. At present, I am practicing SRF's(Yogananda) Om technique for 20 mins. twice everyday. I believe it is an essential in the path to enlightenment.

I never practised to hear the OM.....one day...about 9 years ago... it was suddenly heard.....while walking outside. The space was singing it.....
it was in the sky...for a few days....can't remember now how many. I didn't know back then...that it had a name 4 years later it was suddenly here during Deep Meditation. It has been here ever since.

The only practice I have been consistantly engaged in.....for the past 24 years....is meditation. After app 4 years self-inquiry happened of itself. For the past 3+ years.....the practice has been Spinal Breathing Pranayama, Deep Meditation, periods of Samyama, constant Self-inquiry and Self-pacing (I regard this as a practice of its own....it includes everything related to balance).

If listening to the OM...there would be overload immediately. After it was revealed that we are within the Om...the inclination to listen to it dropped away. So now it is only heard like all the rest of manifistation is heard. It became louder after this....as if it said yes to not being listened to

What we are is that which is within

Deep Meditation coupled with engaging actively in Life is a beautiful combination.

The best of luck to you
Go to Top of Page

BlackShark

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  12:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very glad to have found this thread.

I originally began to hear the sound after ordering a yoga course in the mail, and following the directions. But for years my life was so disrupted that I was not able to pursue it, and was not clear at all, either, about what exactly this sound was, that roared around me in different circumstances, in total defiance of scientific logic.

At night I would lie for hours listening to it, feeling that nothing was more wonderful than to just drift away on that over flowering river of vibration that would grow and fill the night.

Once I was caught in a hunt while on a bicycle camping trip. I was listening, as always, to this sound, when I was rudely interrupted by the sound of gunfire. The wounded animals soon came crashing through the forest, and one nearly stumbled over me. It stood there pawing the earth and snorting, enraged, while I tried to return to reality. I was terrified. The animals, who had been shot and were all crying, shrieking and groaning, settled down around me. I tried to summon the police but they would not come. Yet I remained safe, and was able to leave the next morning when the light returned, though the animals were doubtless killed by the murderous hunters who had taken control of that place.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this thread, because in all this time I have never found anyone else who listened to this sound, which seems to invite one to leave this world. It seems to be very strange that with millions of people taking yoga lessons, it is not discussed more, when it is such a rapturous and dramatic phenomenon.
Go to Top of Page

darya

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2018 :  06:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HELO EVERYONE
These last months I have been hearing OM sound 3 Times before or after sleep
The first time it was super loud to the point it woke me up and my heart was raising I had no idea it was an om sound because of I wasn't into yoga or om that much but my sister is
so one time when she was listening to "OM - The Sound of the Universe" on youtube I realize that sound is just as same as the sound I heard that morning, the next 2 time was before I sleep and the sound was kind of deferent not as loud as first time but definitely was om sound !
Does anyone have an idea why I been hearing this noises?
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2018 :  08:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Darya,

Welcome to the forum!

You hear OM/AUM because it is here What we are is a weaving of threads, without limits. If your sister is into yoga, and you are close to your sister, chances are that you resonate with her, and have access to her experience. It does not mean that your experience is identical with your sister, but you start to perceive her experience from your perspective. It is an opening. Everything happens for a reason. There is much more here than our culture lets us believe. You might want to explore it – go to a yoga class or start to meditate – see simple instructions here.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

darya

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2018 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow, that's interesting!
Yes for sure ill go
Thanks Blanche

Edited by - darya on Mar 15 2018 4:40:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leebobaugh

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  11:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Amanda

A very good represrentstion of the nadam is holding a tuning fork and placing the base of it on your body....around the ear, the sternum, between the eyes....this gives will give you the idea of the resonant tone as well as being able to understand directly its connection to vibration

On you tube you can also listen and learn about guitar harmonics....I think that is good way to help put the Nada sound into the context of music, nature, physycs...music theory is based on math....start there, and when it becomes more powerful then you can incorporate the spiritual ideas around it.

There are two techniques, pranava pranayama, and stilling the breath, that have always been recommended to help the in the manifestation of the inarticulated ohm......

The way I've taught this is to start with singing....I always use the song "Back to the Earth" by Rusted Root....sing and hum to any song you want with your full breath....its OK if it runs out in a middle of a verse....I also suggest placing your hands on different parts of your body, head, heart, face, wherever you can feel the vibration of your voice.....and when you're ready you'll turn the music off and just hum.....if just chanting ohm doesn't feel right, you can chant omram,omnam,omne,amen,homesong....and you never have to stop Just Singing songs you like....I don't believe you ever have to go past that! It may not feel like meditation proper, but very enjoyable. Let the sound and vibration of your own voice lead you to the inner Nada sound......

As to stilling the breath, I tell people no to hold their breath, but inhale deeply and exhale so slowly you might as well be holding it..and count your heartbeats....3 to 10 heartbeats....no big deal

Silent mantra is excellent, As is jnana meditation...you are trying to hear a a sound that silence makes...the sound of the lotus of the heart, the anahata chakram.....how do you do that?! Why would you do that? What is this inner sound? About jnana meditation-everyone has had the experience of trying to remember something and having g it right there on the tip of their tuonge......if you get that curious about how a sound comes from silence, then it becomes meditative, very focusing.

It is said that nothing van teach you Nada yoga but the inner sound itself....in one of commentaries on Patanjali the author says that no teaching, no guru, no practice can initiate one into Nada yoga....only the sacred inner sound can.....

Occasionally I don't hear the inner sound at all, sometimes I hear it in the midst of a noisy room...let it come and go...let it be loud or soft, high pitched or low pitched....as you practice you find it does what it wishes...what it needss to.

Technichly listening to this resonate, pulsating, vibrating inner sound is called Nadanusandhana....it is the universal harmonic that tunes you!

Hope this helps
Much love
Ohm Nam

PS...yes, ohm is directly connected to your Ajna chakram, infinite space and light...but remember, it comes from anahata, the lotus of the heart......its energy can get a little too energetic, somewhat overwhelming in the center of your skull at times....remember you can always bring it back home, deep down into the heart....there is no great mystery in it - it may simply be the song home-

Lee

Go to Top of Page

Leebobaugh

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  11:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just remembered this verse from an Upanishad, or one of the Tantras. Sorry I can't remember which -

Now
The light that shines in the highest heavan
In the highest worlds in which there are no higher
Surely that is the same light that is inside of you

There is this hearing of it
This sound of light
When one closes ones ears and hears a hum
And then a roar
Like a fire blazing
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000