AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation works! - and passing it on
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I am happy to report this because it shows indeed deep meditation can be of benefit even for people that never heard of meditation or are not particularly interested in pursuing spiritual matters.

I now live away from home but some months ago I lived for a while with my parents and that is when I learned about AYP. I started practicing and my mother saw the gradual changes in me and so wanted to learn the techniques. I taught her Deep meditation and had reminded her often to stick with them for a while to see the results. She was happy at the simplicity of the technique and so has no "mental barriers" about it - very straightforward use. I just talked to her on the phone and was very happy to know that she is keeping at it and that she is getting results! It is very interesting because she never was attracted to any of this stuff and just wanted to "feel better" and she says that indeed she feels it is helping her a lot and she never misses one session! And she also sees how gradually it keeps on growing on her, she can feel it evolving and that is what brings her back to it everytime (is this real Bakhti or what? ). I was worried because she is having some hard times in her life but she herself sees how much DM has helped her and she even said that meditation is almost all she needs to keep in balance and happy at the moment. That was great to hear, I was very happy for her.

Thanks for listening

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaIsLife:

Stories like this make it all worth while. Thank you for sharing, with your mother and with us.

As John Wilder would say, "Pass it on."

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  05:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome Yogani. Actually I have to thank you for providing these techniques and explaining them in a way and within a framework that make them accessible and of benefit for so many people. That is a real gift.

Let's keep it up!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  07:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot about that 'pass it on' bit that was highlighted in the Wilder book.

Just passed these techniques on to a friend at the weekend. Sent her away with two of Yogani's books to read. Wish I could just do the 'touch on the Sternum' thing.....that would be pretty cool. Bit like doing fast induction hypnotism.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  07:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good thing that doesn't work. Look what the media does with things like that. They would call ayp a cult, and create fear based on people being "converted"!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  12:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

It's a good thing that doesn't work. Look what the media does with things like that. They would call ayp a cult, and create fear based on people being "converted"!

What the heck is a cult anyway, very difficult to define. At least two people practising something that is outside what the average person does/believes.......whoops that is AYP !
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  08:24:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a word created by mainstream religions. A buzz word to create fear. What it insinuates is that there are "real" religions and fake ones. And the fake ones are against God. The word they used to use was "heresy" to strike fear in people. And the church is necessary as an intercessor to find god.
It is directly opposing the concept of the inner guru.
It is based upon the premise that certain people were holy a long time ago and God talked to them, but it can't happen today for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is very true Ether. For example, I meditate and never was formally religious (was baptized and my culture was catholic although my close family did not practice it much) but even so I somehow sense the power the church has on people and creates this fear of God or something. I meditate and everything and I understand the concept that God is in everything but even me can find it hard to believe sometimes, subliminally it is like a "dangerous idea" or something. Imagine people who have been culturised by the church since childhood...
Go to Top of Page

tamasomajyotirgamaya

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  5:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit tamasomajyotirgamaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think beauty of meditation (any kind) is that it is religion independent. The thing that I like the most about it is that the person practicing it becomes quiet, peaceful and harmonious with the creation. The idea of oneness is so powerful that it puts you on a rock solid foundation about you and your relations with the universe.

Om Tat Sat.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  12:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the Wilder book but never finished reading it and the laptop i downloaded it onto broke so i never had a chance to finish it. It was very "sexy" to put it mildly, which i found a bit of a "turn off". I wonder if i can get it again?

I think the key to successful meditation is to relax the mind. Perhaps spinal breathing before DM assists in this. But what i mean is that fighting the mind in any way it doomed to failure. And this is such a subtle point that perhaps needs to be stressed more - the mind has to be RELAXED.

Now i know how to meditate properly i have changed my mind about it. but as i said in the other thread i am still not convinced by spiritual experiences in terms of how to achieve them without expectations.
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  2:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi, you said you are getting good and definite relaxation by DM in the other thread.

Now you are admitting that you did it wrong and want to change it but don't accept the spiritual experiences. if you have done it wrong all along, how can you dismiss the experiences arising out of the right practice?

Also, why change what you are doing now which gives you the expected relaxation (which is what you are expecting from meditation)?.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  08:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all.

I wanted to share the experiences I had wiht "pass-it-on" so far.

My strategy has been not of mass-spreading the word but to pass it on to the people I feel would understand, be interested (even if mildly) in the practice, and would benefit from it and would be motivated enough to try it.

So I Started with my mother and it worked nicely (see first post). She actually noticed the changes in me and wanted to practice. Because my mom does not analyse things too much (unlike me!) and just goes with her heart, she did it in a very simple way. In her mind it was simple "My son says it is good, so I'll do it". See first post for results!

Then I passed it on to a coleague at university. A skeptical, rational, kind but still I felt deep down that he was open enough (and needing!) to try it. Once in the canteen we started talking about god and ultimate reality and such (he is a physicist!) and I must have sounded really enthusiastic and truthful in my insights that he decided to try. This was about 2 motnhs ago. I met him yesterday. He said to me that he had stopped meditation for two weeks now and he is not happy with the fact that he has stopped. He said that indeed he feels the difference, that without meditation he feels himself declining again. He said his life was chaotic at the moemnt and taht is why he stopped. I said that those are exactly the times you shoudl keep up with it! "Don't you always got ot bed every night?" I asked? It is the same thing - a rest for the soul There is another factor with him - rational fears. I also been through those and I am sure more are to come. This particular one is the fear that now he is addicted to meditation to feel good. I explained to him that aren't we all addicted to a certain state of mind anyway? I also agree that ideally it would be better to be enlightened without the need for any technique but, int he modern world, it is needed and thank god for meditation. A world that is enlightened would breed enlightened children that would probably never need to meditate to sustain a high level of awareness. Until then we have to work at it!

More recently I passed it on to my girlfriend and a housemate. My girlfriend is very emotional and a bit analytical of her emtions. Very intuitive as well but I notice how sometimes the analysis of the emotions with the mind creates confusion and suffering. It takes a bit of effort to motivate her enough for her to practice but I think it is slowly paying off. I feel she will go deep fast because she is already very intuitive and in touch with her inner feelings. Funny about her first experiences - she said she only saw blackness and was afraid and thought the meditation was not working! Since in the first meditation she saw beautiful images she thought that was what was intended. I explained to her that the void she felt is actually a good sign. People had told her she looks different already with just a few meditations. I am not surprised. Yesterday on the phone I could tell by her voice that it is having an effect - she was jolly and full of energy, even if she said to me she was tired.

My housemate - once we were talking in the kitchen and he said he went on a climbing trip to beautiful mountains and a guy there started meditating and he said he found that fantastic. That was my cue! I told him I meditated and that I could pass him the book where I learned it from - The AYP Deep Meditation Enlightenment Series Book. So, it is passed - I think he is reading it now.

The last one - a turkish PhD student from the University. The coincidence of it was amazing. I went to see a documentary on Sufi culture,spirituality and music. I loved it! Highly recommended - Sufi Soul is called. I felt infused with spirit and love just by watching it! It was as if the music really penetrated my soul and is there with me now, permeated all my being and all my day and I was singing spontaneously enveloped in waves of love! Really nice. Impressive culture Sufism. But anyway, afterwards I had a reception at the department and started talking with this girl and she was turkish and knew sufis and practiced meditation! What are the odds! Like she said, it is not easy to find people to talk about these things within an academic environment! I agree. But we talked a bit about waht we practiced and we exchanged emails and then she asked for this website address which I passed to her. She wrote back saying she found it useful and that she heard the last Yogani's interview on Spinal Breathing. She said the spinal breathing there explained is similar to a sufi breathing exercise she had learned some years back and was practicing for a while. Isn't this amazing! I was quite happy with these coincidences.

Well, this is all for now. Please share here your own experiences with passing-it-on! I am sure this is just the beggining...
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  1:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, what a positive impact you're having YIL! Fantastic. Thanks for sharing these examples of sharing meditation.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  9:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also recently offered to purchase another copy of DM for my mother, a devout christain.

i just hope i can guide her, if she has any freeeakky episodes. yet to fully road-test this thing adequately myself you see.
don't know if she'll bother with it, if i present her with the book (ordered as promised)but may advise here not to go over 10 mins and once a day, as a stand-alone practice.

she has not done any yoga before. and i had a wee think about it. and probably would'nnt harm her. i mentioned i had starteed DM for 2 weeks,and the book. and she did express an interest in it,after showing her the book.. so i think she should be alright with it- i think her faith should help in some sense. her belief in a divine reality. i guess you only get as much in life what you put it. but it wil be interesting if she gives it a go , and indeed whether she experiences any 'shifts'/ effects as a result. it has felt a bit like giving my mother lsd.

it's good it's also non-sectarian(no mention of yogananda or krishna,eastern religion). otherwise she would have probably ran a mile. though i think if friend/family witness a shift in you, then they naturally would'nt mind what you've got,discovered. beliefs or preconceptions are quickly abandoned once perceptions ring true.

i want what you've got.
quite right.

i did find one of the episodes a little heavvy but it made me think- hey what if keep on doing this --purifying and purging the ns, cos there's clearly more work to do here. that was just a little effect. and i realy took it easy. i felt a little delicate and sensitive the nexy 2 days. so backed off. it also felt like i tuned into my feminine side, but more loving and compassionate too. But surely stronger as yogani says ,over the long term. it always is the long term,after all.

it is obviously hard to put these experiences into words but they are rather like altered states, like onemight experience on psychedelics. where the letting go,& with it the consequent shedding of ego, the identification with "I" ness occurs ( and mind) occurs.then it was like a superconscious state emerged where i felt a kind of white light awareness/karmic fire halo around the head. hard to put it into words. but having done yoga for a wee while now, i feel i know what i should at least be looking for. and there were very minor psycho-physical changes as well as a greater spiritual awareness.it made me see beyond my personality and and all the nonsnese we create in order to define ourselves in the material world.

i'll just be patient and continue doing DM,pacing myself whenever greater purging occurs in the long-term.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  05:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
it has felt a bit like giving my mother lsd.

Yes, I believe it can be a bit like that. But what I did tell my mother is to take it easy and to be her own guide (I am not there all the time you see). It is a fine line between infusing enthusiasm in her so that she practices consistently, while at the same time warn her to pace herself. Ultimately it is their responsability though, not yours. I found, with my mother and other people that I passed the technique to, that it has grown in them in their own very specific ways. Quite fascinating really. They have tuned quite quickly to their own ineer guide and have self-managed their own paths. Happens to us all doesn't it? We just need a little push at it at first for the thing to start it's own motion...

quote:
think if friend/family witness a shift in you, then they naturally would'nt mind what you've got,discovered.

Yes, I think this is true. The best advertisement is to live by example, no doubt about it. And once we do that we don't really care about advertising at all, we are just living and seem to change others around us with much less effort. Like you said "they want what we have" We are all "selfish" like that, we all want good things to ourselves

Edited by - YogaIsLife on May 08 2009 05:49:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  7:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed,A great gift to a great guru.

Good to hear it from an experienced practitoner.

Thank you for this great peice of feedback & advice.
My initial concerns have now dissipated. i went over the book, and it is goood.,typical of yogani of course, covering self-apcing, observing balance outside of dm, as well as inside, when to do it etc etc. Well written,explained and guided, as usual.

quote:
I found, with my mother and other people that I passed the technique to, that it has grown in them in their own very specific ways. Quite fascinating really. They have tuned quite quickly to their own ineer guide and have self-managed their own paths

this was the conclusion i was arriving at-them self-managing their own path/trip,tuning in themself. gd to hear it confirmed.also intersting to observe unfoldment in another.and recognise that theirs is unique and will be peculiar to them.

i did do dm this mrning, and it did bring a wry smile to my face again. i read the explanation somehre in the notes- like the internal mantra is like a 'tuning fork' for re-setting the nervous sytem. what a beautiful explaantion!! it sounds indeed like science to me as well. what's more is it's effect, it's power-- Quite Extraordinary.

Happy DM'ing....

quote:
Like you said "they want what we have" We are all "selfish" like that, we all want good things to ourselves

We so are all selfish. very true.

we so envy happiness in others. i know i do.

thanks yogaIsLife, once again.

Edited by - Akasha on May 08 2009 7:23:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  07:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice thread, YIL and Akasha thanks for sharing your experiences on passing on AYP to others.
It's relevant to me since I'm also in the process of sharing it (translating to hebrew), and really hope that it would create a positive effect on people reading and practicing it..

Love,

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000