Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 AYP Retreats '09?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends,

Just wondering, maybe a little too in advance, if anyone out there in AYP-land knows of anyone who is or are themselves planning to "host" an AYP retreat sometime this year? I believe the last one was in Ireland, but anyone know of one happening in North America anytime in '09? There has to be enough of us in Canada and the US to make this worth doing, so if anyone has any plans or ideas, lets hear 'em so we all can start planning!

Love,
Carson

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be such a cool thing to do. And have it be free (or donation). It doesn't have to be some fancy scenic thing, maybe either a camping situation or just in someone's house. I live in Maryland and there are quite a few AYPers on the East Coast - I have so far met two in person.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  05:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

That would be such a cool thing to do. And have it be free (or donation). It doesn't have to be some fancy scenic thing, maybe either a camping situation or just in someone's house.

That's kinda what I was hoping for too....There seem to be a lot of Florida AYPers so I was kinda hoping for a Florida vacation this summer!!! hint hint

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 01 2009 06:22:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  09:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in North Carolina...would love to be involved somehow.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  12:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Yogani's post at the beginning of the year on Website statistics the majority of North American visitors to the AYPsite come from California, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia, & Texas. I think that since these are the most active states that having an '09 retreat in one of these states would be the best option for having as many practitioners there as possible. Is anyone in any of these states willing to host an '09 AYP retreat? Or since I am not very good with American geography maybe a state that borders on a couple of these? (if there is one)

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 21 2009 12:56:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
NY, Penn, Florida are all on the East Coast. A Florida retreat would be quite nice :-) We could find a big stretch of beach that isn't privately owned and have a big AYP beach campout retreat!

I think we should start trying to get people involved and figure out some details so that those who want to attend have ample time to prepare (and save!).

Edited by - anthony574 on Jan 21 2009 2:04:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That what I was thinking too and why I started this thread on New Years Day. I know I will need some time to prepare, and I would really like to meet you all, (well most of you, haha, just kidding) so I hope we can figure something out. I think that summer time, like July or August would be best personally. And I really don't care where, just need to know in advance so that I can take the time off. Having a retreat on a beach would be ideal too! Then I could work on my white boy tan!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe we could have the retreat at the old "Wilder" house on the beach
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  10:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think we should try to set a location and see who would be up for it to make sure it is available to enough people. Maybe Yogani would consider making a sticky topic so we can get some attention and input on location and date.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  4:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think our biggest obstacle in setting up a retreat like this is going to be finding a single person or group of persons who are willing to organize or host the retreat. Really we need someone in a central location to step up to the plate and say "Alright, I'll do it" and get the ball rolling. I would say you should all come to Calgary for a summer vacation/retreat, but I don't think we would get nearly as many people coming here as we would coming to a more central US location. I am more then willing to do as much organizing and preperation for this as I can, but the city and actual retreat location I think must be agreed upon first in order to start to organization process. If anyone has any ideas on an ideal location that might actually be available to us then please speak up, as this is the first step I think in organizing something like this.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think if it is in the warm season than we could do a camping thing. It would be cheap, if not free. Could be at a beach or campground. I think it is unlikely that someone could host a bunch of people in a regular house.

We need a general geographic idea...East Coast? South?

What do you think? I think it is irrational, especially this being the first such effort in the US so far, to expect to include and accomodate everyone in the US. I think an East Coast retreat would accomodate a lot of people since there are so many major cities.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  5:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A beach or campground could work, but I was thinking more along the lines of a Yoga studio or even a community centre or something. I'm sure for those who can't afford hotels or hostels there will be some people willing to board others in their homes, and /or several people sharing the cost of renting a house or something for the week and staying there. There are many many options. I know 7 friends and I took a week trip to San Fran a while ago and we rented a townhouse that slept all 8 of us for something like $1200 US for the week. Less then $200 per person per week for accomodations. Plus then we could cook food in the kitchen and save money on eating out as well. There are many options I think for keeping the costs low, the first obstacle is location and whether or not the location we pick will just be the location of the retreat or if it will also be the sleeping and eating location as well. I don't have ANY experience with meditation retreats so perhaps I am the WRONG person to be starting this.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the camping thing would actually be the cheapest. If everybody brought bulk foods that were very basic then everyone would be fine. Also, there would be no cost of accomodations. I think I have this fantasy of a retreat/primitive social experiment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000