AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Nisargadatta Maharaj - Consciousness vs awarenesss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  09:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I recently came upon two videos in Youtube of this indian teacher. Although I never really have heard of him before, this video answered two questions I never saw answered so clearly before. The first is the question of why do we identify so easily with individuality, if that is not our real nature? He answers by saying that those thoughts that we identify with are not our own, although we think they are. He says those thoughs arise in conscioussness, they are part of a collective conscioussness. We have just chosen to identify with them.

Then he also explains (which I find very interesting) the difference between conscioussness and awareness. Consciousness, according to him, is a state, and as such, subject to change - thus, the different "states of conscioussness". He further explains that awareness is that that is beyond even conscioussness, is that that is immutable, quiet, witnessing, ever-present. He says that that is the presence in deep dreamless sleep. I think this is the dimension we wish to access through meditation as well, is it not? This is the "ultimate, absolute, presence", no?

So, from this perspective, all states of mind or of being are transient forms as well - the feeling of being in love, ecstasies, feelings of flying or inner seeing, feelings of depression, changing moods, etc., etc., etc., they are all different forms of consciousness, different states of consciousness. The aim here - I guess - is to go ever deeper, and to "see" beyond all this towards the only thing that remains after all else is gone: pure, unlimited, unshakable, quiet, awareness. Am I correct in this?

Here are the links to the 2 videos. There are other things he talks about (like mediatting in I AM) which are interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyLIYVrd5U

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIvQzryesY

Namaste my fellow brothers and sisters!

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that YogaIsLife.

Nisargadatta is one of the favorite Advaita teachers for many of us at the forum. Just do a search on "Nisargadatta" and you will find many topics that quote him or talk about him.

His book I am That may easily be one of the best selling Advaita books in the West. If you liked his talks, you may really enjoy the book.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  12:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Am I correct in this?"

I would say yes. And if I may continue to babble from the memories of my former realizations:

Consiousness is constantly evolving, thus changing. It's mate - the energy - is moving along with it and they were born simultaneously and spontaneously, out from That - the absolute. We talk of the "light of consciousness". Consciousness move with the speed of light and is light since they are married forever. Symbolized by the yin-yang sign in a beautiful way. The feeling of expansion we may feel in meditation is consciousness expanding, moving, changing, growing, evolving. The ever present awareness does not have to move. It's instant. It's beyond time and space and yet it IS all of that too.

But this is just me roaming about from memories. Don't take it seriously. I might have just read it in a book, and it is a possibility that the knowledge of it is pretence.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  2:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much Shanti and emc.

quote:
But this is just me roaming about from memories. Don't take it seriously. I might have just read it in a book, and it is a possibility that the knowledge of it is pretence.

that made me smile. It does not matter if it comes from your memories or some book you read, it still sounds nice to my ears

Yes, I feel consciousness changing every time. Sometimes I feel it as a shape, constatly changing form. I seem to be made of it. I actually was going to say "I am it" but that would almost be a sin in a yoga forum! Whatever it is it is the substance that I seem to be made of. It is the lens through which I see the world it seems. But it can change, become more or less transparent, more or less encapsulating, etc. I was just reminded of drawings of squizofrenics I saw once, when asked to draw/paint what they felt. Sometimes it was sharp like blades, other times like bubbles, etc. Maybe this is consciousness, and we are all trapped in it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000