AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Ramana Maharshi on inquiry and other RM quotes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  10:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When asked if the path of inquiry could be "followed by all aspirants?"

Ramana Maharshi replied with:

"This is suitable only for the ripe souls. The rest should follow different methods according to the state of their minds."

exert from The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  05:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting Anthem

Does he give a definition of what inquiry is?, it seems a bit vague otherwise.

To elaborate a little - any question about life by anybody and a consequent learning, usually out of suffering, could be regarded, by some, as inquiry. This could apply to anyone!

But maybe he is talking of the "path" as a specific practice, rather than a stumbling through life in accidental inquiry.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  07:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's very interesting Anthem. And it makes sense with what others say. I for one feel relieved to know this, as it means each person should seek a path that is confortable for them.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  11:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

A large portion of both of his books I have read are devoted to detailing his recommended practice of self inquiry which involves tracing the "I" thought to its source by inquiring "who am I" or "to who is this happening" etc.

The question and his answer directly before the one I posted above was:

"What is the method of practice?"

RM reply:

As the Self of a person who tries to attain Self-realization is not different from him and as there is nothing other than or superior to him to be attained by him, Self-realization being only the realization of one's own nature, the seeker of Liberation realizes without doubts or misconceptions, his real nature by distinguishing the eternal from the transient and never swerves from his natural state. This is known as the practice of knowledge. This is the inquiry leading to Self-realization.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew
I am a bit confused about your last quote:

As the Self of a person who tries to attain Self-realization is not different from him and as there is nothing other than or superior to him to be attained by him, Self-realization being only the realization of one's own nature, the seeker of Liberation realizes without doubts or misconceptions, his real nature by distinguishing the eternal from the transient and never swerves from his natural state. This is known as the practice of knowledge. This is the inquiry leading to Self-realization.

If it was re-written as follows, would it mean the same to you??
Sorry for being so dense

As the Self of a person who tries to attain Self-realization is not different from him and as there is nothing other than or superior to him to be attained by him, Self-realization being only the realization of one's own nature, the seeker of Liberation realizes without doubts or misconceptions, his real nature by distinguishing the eternal from the transient, leading to a permanent recognition of never swerving from his natural state.

This is known as the practice of knowledge. This is the inquiry leading to Self-realization.
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes agreed, a tough quote to understand but as I read your edit, it would mean the same thing to me.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  1:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Andrew
Since you agree with my edit, I don't think it's that difficult really. Maybe his style of writing does not suit me. If he writes that way all the time then I would have difficulty relating to him.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
He is actually pretty clear and simple in presenting his ideas, that's just a wordy quote, maybe some of it is lost in translation. I love reading his work and find his words to be one of the most insightful and inspiring of any I have read, so don't feel deterred. Will post more quotes here soon.

All the best,
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  07:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Will post more quotes here soon.

Thanks Andrew, will look forward to that
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000