Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Spontaneous lucid dreams after cosmic samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  01:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

A couple nights ago, I re-added cosmic samyama to my practice (before bedtime only), and had a lucid dream the first night I did the practice. I wasn't trying to have a lucid dream, it just happened spontaneously.

In the AYP Samyama book, Yogani writes that cosmic samyama is not recommended to be used with lucid dream practices because it can cause imbalances in the nervous system and sleep deprivation.

But what if the lucid dream happens on its own? Is it still an issue in this case? If so, is there a way to prevent lucid dreaming? Will lucid dreams drop off as I continue with cosmic samyama, perhaps?

Being very vigilant about overdoing it, the thought of self-pacing occurred to me. But since I felt fine the next day, I'll watch carefully over the next few days before I jump to any conclusions.

Any insight you can provide will be met with a virtual hug!

Thanks!

Much Love
cosmic

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  08:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, it's ok to have lucid dreams like that. A lucid dreaming practice could mean that you set an alarm clock to wake up at certain time intervals to induce lucid dremaing and that can lead to sleep deprivation.

I'm also doing cosmic samyama before sleep and there are probably more lucid dreams, but it mostly depends on whether I intend to be lucid or not :)

Btw some things to try in a lucid dream: grow your body to the size of the whole cosmos, let your body disappear, erase everything that exists in the dream, try to detect your body sleeping, go into samadhi, or try cosmic samyama again :) - not ayp instructions, but I've found those to be interesting when lucid.

Take care.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  2:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, tadeas, if a person were born blind they couldn't do those things that you say, since there is no visual phenomenon present when dreaming. I just wanted to share this, since I assumed that everyone dreamt visually, since I do too. And so lucidity would be percieved by other senses and would be described differently.

Anyway, cosmic, I would follow your own/yogani's advice and self pace if you notice that you're tired. I don't know of a way to stop lucid dreaming, other than cutting back on practice.

Take care:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Nov 29 2008 2:49:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  3:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
VIL, I don't think it's related only to visual perception. I'm sure blind people have a sense of what their body or surroundings "look like". The things I suggested are done as an experiment with their perception and with how fixed or not we are on those perceptions. That's all, so if someone is lucid spontaneously why not try :)
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  8:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
tadeas: VIL, I don't think it's related only to visual perception. I'm sure blind people have a sense of what their body or surroundings "look like". The things I suggested are done as an experiment with their perception and with how fixed or not we are on those perceptions. That's all, so if someone is lucid spontaneously why not try :)

I just thought it was interesting that normally we assume that everyone dreams the same or that memories are experienced the same way in every person. Although certain sense perceptions are absent or are more acute if a person is born blind, deaf, mute, or whether all the faculties of sight, speech, hearing are present while experiencing dream lucidity and/or memory recall.

As far as cosmic experimenting, since the lucidity is spontaneous; it's not for me to say, although it may create an imbalance if a person is overly preoccupied with dream images by taxing the rem state.

Take care:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Nov 30 2008 8:43:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  12:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your input and support.

Brief update: It's been over a week since I began cosmic samyama and the lucid dreams did not occur again. I decided against cutting back, since I'm feeling quite good and am able to sleep at night (more deeply in fact). I will remain watchful because my previous attempt at CS several months ago resulted in irritability and sleeplessness. This time around is going much more smoothly.

Tadeas, your idea of letting the body disappear and erasing the dream appeals to me. Wouldn't that result in yoga nidra? My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that being asleep + conscious/lucid + no dreams = yoga nidra.

I'll try it if I get another lucid dream, although I'm not striving for one.

Thanks again!

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  07:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
cosmic: My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that being asleep + conscious/lucid + no dreams = yoga nidra.

Your understanding is correct. It's being born blind, since we all are at birth. And then a different sight or awareness comes, later, within the present moment/dream, as well as other subtle aspects of hearing and speaking that are a natural process of development of the subtle body based off of the senses (indriyas). These new senses are then used as a tool for self preservation of the spiritual body and as a way of teaching and communicating on various levels of perception.

So, from my experience, yoga nidra/cosmic samyama may be experienced, as above, where there is vibrational sound present, without sight. What they call the M of AUM. And another person may experience this from the U or the A states. All of us being born, blind, deaf, mute (not spoken as a hinderance) - until we acclimate our new senses or discover who we are as individuals relating to the collective whole.

Anyway, so it's a process of unfoldment where we/the person is unable to go back to the dreamless sleep state, regardless of personal interpretation, since it's equated to going back to the womb.

The whole point being is to become lucid/knowing/aware within the present moment, or dream, as we all know; without any attachments present. Anyway, that's just my take on it.

Take care:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Dec 05 2008 9:32:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  12:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great insights, VIL.

Going back to the womb is a good analogy. My rare glimpses of dreamless sleep have felt like being in the womb, although I never made that connection until you posted this.

Not that I remember the womb, but I imagine it to be something like dreamless sleep.

Thanks for playing.

Peace + Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000