Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 witnessing "great happiness" in Vijnana Bhairava
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  07:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Verse 102 (of 163) from the Vijnana Bhairava:

"If one perceives the cosmos as mere jugglery conjured up by some magician, or as the configuration of a painting, or as illusory as the movement of trees, etc. (appearing to people seated on a moving boat), and contemplates deeply over this fact, then he will experience great happiness."

+ + + + +

This work gives 112 ways to enter into the universal and transcendental state of consciousness -- see Wikipedia article of "Vijnana Bhairava" at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vijnana_Bhairava

This work is published in cloth and paper in India under the title: VIJNANABHAIRAVA OR DIVINE CONSCIOUSNESS: A TREASURY OF 112 TYPES OF YOGA. By Jaideva Singh. Sanskrit text with English translation, expository notes, introduction, and glossary of technical terms. ISBN: 81-208-0820-7 (paperback).

From the book jacket, this work "is a very ancient book on Yoga. It studiously eschews mechanical worship, external rites and cermonies and goes directly to the heart of the problem of the union of human consciousness with the Divine. There is no theoretical discussion the book. It describes 112 types of yoga each of which is a precious gem delineating the mystic approach to the Divine. For this purpose, it makes full use of all the aspects of human life--prana, manas [Book's glossary about manas: the internal sense, the empirical mind. See Wikipedia article on Mind: aspects of intellect and consciousness manifested as combinations of thought, perception, memory, emotion, will and imagination; mind is the stream of consciousness. It includes all of the brain's conscious processes.], imagination and intuition... includes many practical suggestions made by Swami Laksmana Joo on the basis of his personal experience of these Yogas."

Says the author Singh, "There is hardly any other book on yoga which ahas described so many ways of approach to Central Reality that is present in each man as his essential Self. It is both extensive, and intensive in the treatment of the subject of yoga.... I express my sincerest gratitude to Svami Laksmana Joo who has kindly taught this book to me word by word."

+ + + + +

How does one "open" as you have experienced this?

I would be most eager to hear of "open" approaches to reality that, apparently, view mind's play as an ongoing movie.

Is spirituality all work and no play? How does one drop searching and effort, to let in what of God is available to be experienced by all?

newpov

Edited by - newpov on Nov 21 2008 09:32:33 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  09:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you enjoy the book Newpov, you can listen to Nithyananda's talk on the Shiva Sutras (he says the Bhairava Tantra is a part of Shiva sutras.. so he calls his talks "Shiva Sutras"). There are many.. he has covered many of the techniques. There is one long one.. http://www.brightcove.tv/channel.js...el=336103882 and other shorter ones http://www.youtube.com/profile_vide...ation&page=1.
Some people have a hard time understanding his accent.. but many have had a hard time at first, but have said it has got easier after a few videos. His talks have helped me a lot. He style is a mix of "live in the now" (Bhairava tantra really) and scriptures and techniques all in one.

Swami Lakshmanjoo's books on Shiva sutras are wonderful too. He is an amazing person.. and simplicity of his words makes him one of my favorite authors in Kashmiri Shaivism.

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 21 2008 09:19:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  09:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Newpov:

For some additional perspective, here is an AYP lesson on Vigyan Bhairava (spellings of it vary), including a link to the the Paul Reps English translation of the 112 techniques: http://www.aypsite.org/T21.html

It is an amazing scripture for sure, and one of the oldest, covering a range of practices for cultivating human spiritual transformation.

In the case of the linked lesson, the Vigyan Bhairava was quoted to highlight the essential principle in tantric sex. It is technique #43, and that passage was also used as the dedication at the front of the AYP Tantra book.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

SeekingShiva

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  3:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeekingShiva's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I am far behind you guys but I find this link a good translation of
Vijnana Bhairava, I mean for people like myself.

http://www.totallyok.com/secret/subjects.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000