Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yogic Driving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  02:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends,
Just throwing this out there....
As I was driving around my city this weekend putting up flyers for my meditation group I got to wondering how a yogi would/should drive. Obviously courteously, but does a yogi necessarily have to drive slow? For some reason I picture a yogi driving around somewhat like a typical Grandparent out for a nice Sunday drive trying to take in as much scenery as possible along the way. I am a habitual speeder by nature. But I also consider myself safe and efficient. Personally I find Canadian drivers(having driven in a few other countries) to generally be terribly slow and overly cautious. I try to let traffic "just be" but with my "tendencies" this can sometimes be quite a challenge. I find it refreshing though to be seeing life in a way where I can learn important things about myself by simply observing how I drive. Oh and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadians out there
In Love,
CarsonZi

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely don't drive "yogically"...I think yogis should drive without swearing at people that cut them off and they'd probably give people space and not ride right up on them when those people are going slow. But yeah...I get a little road rage.

Something I'm working on.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, yogis must always drive slower than everyone else, and impede the flow of traffic to remind everyone of God. You should have long hair and a white robe, and flower stickers all over your car.
Ha ha just kidding. I find I am provoked easier if I miss my meditation in the morning. Otherwise it is easier to just let everything go. I try to imagine that people who drive selfishly have had too much caffeine, and have some personal emergency that gives them good reason to be in a hurry. That helps also to remember that it has nothing to do with me. It's not personal.
Actually that's good advice to follow in general; the way people react is not personal towards you. Even when they are reacting directly at you, that reaction is because of something inside their mind. Whatever you may have done just reminds them of something that sets them off.
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  4:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say, "Mindfully!"

Keeping with the flow of traffic, not being surprised by sudden lane changes, bumps or stops, piloting your car in a dance of connection with other drivers. Demonstrating courtesy, prudence, patience and skill.

Namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  01:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I was a speeder by nature, but now, I drive enjoying everything, the landscape, people, cars, not minding anything, without being hurry. Just enjoying even the bumps and also always being prudent and kind towards others.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Namaste Friends,
Just throwing this out there....
As I was driving around my city this weekend putting up flyers for my meditation group I got to wondering how a yogi would/should drive. Obviously courteously, but does a yogi necessarily have to drive slow? For some reason I picture a yogi driving around somewhat like a typical Grandparent out for a nice Sunday drive trying to take in as much scenery as possible along the way. I am a habitual speeder by nature. But I also consider myself safe and efficient. Personally I find Canadian drivers(having driven in a few other countries) to generally be terribly slow and overly cautious. I try to let traffic "just be" but with my "tendencies" this can sometimes be quite a challenge. I find it refreshing though to be seeing life in a way where I can learn important things about myself by simply observing how I drive. Oh and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadians out there
In Love,
CarsonZi

Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  04:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question : "what is yogic behaviour?"
Watch this picture :
http://flickr.com/photos/66494953@N00/375957895/
Go to Top of Page

apachechief

Ireland
65 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  04:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit apachechief's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A risky business this yogic driving, especially when a lot of drivers don't understand the difference between red and green traffic lights, or that "stop" signs do, in fact, mean stop.
I quite like the idea put forward by Douglas Adams in, "Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency." As everything is interconnected, Dirk gets into his car and instead of heading for his destination; he just follows someone who looks as though they know where they are going and he always ends up in the right place.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  06:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi apachechief

quote:
As everything is interconnected, Dirk gets into his car and instead of heading for his destination; he just follows someone who looks as though they know where they are going and he always ends up in the right place.

I can't say I know anything about Yogic driving, but I broke out laughing reading this quote. I just love it....

This guy had his own original way of surrendering, didn't he....

To me, presence is all. So whether I externaly flow ("drive") slow or fast - it is the ability to stay aware at all times that is the "yogic" quality.

The rest sort of follows by itself.....

Who knows what will happen........if we continue to meditate consistantly

Thanks for that story apachechief

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thimus
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good question : "what is yogic behaviour?"
Watch this picture :
http://flickr.com/photos/66494953@N00/375957895/

Great picture! Maybe he is on his lunch break!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for all the great contributions to my silly thread....

Scott...Sounds pretty similiar to me....I try not to swear and get angry at people nowadays, but I have this terrible habit of looking people right in the eye and shaking my head at them as I drive past when they have been driving slow in the fast lane or something. Sounds immature and really is, so hopefully writing this will help me have the motivation to change...I think it will.

Etherfish....your post made me laugh really hard because for the first few seconds I thought you were serious at the beginning. I too find that if I miss my morning meditation I am a bit more unbalanced emotionally and am more likely to let my feelings grab hold. Reminding ourselves not to take things too personal is great advice.

Joe....Mindfully indeed, excellent....and driving really can be an art I agree...But would a yogi really have to "keep with the flow of traffic"? What if everyone drives like half blind grandmas and our yogi drives a Ferrari(given to him of course) or something and has perfect "third eye" sight and is in no danger of hurting anyone? Just food for thought.

Thimus....Loved the picture, made me laugh hard....But about that being a bidi....I've smoked a lot of bidi's but they were all leaf rolled and much thinner...maybe there are many kinds I dunno...but to ME that looks like a doobie.

Apachechief....you ever tried this method? You may end up in Timbuktu when you were aiming for Miami, especially if you happen to still be learning how to decipher who "looks as though they know where they are going" and who doesn't.

Katrine....yes, surrender....the perfect idea for rush hour traffic eh?

Christi....Yogi's don't EAT do they? haha

Thanks everyone for indulging me!

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000