Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Heavy Music
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends,

I wanted to start this thread to see if anyone else out there has had simliar experiences with heavy music that I have. I am a musician in every way except that I stopped making my own music about 3 years ago. I started playing piano and singing in music festivals at the age of 4 and when I moved away from home at the age of 15 I picked up the guitar. Then the drums, then the bass, then midi programming and sequencing and finally opening a recording studio at the age of 19 which was my main source of income for 7 years, and I still record for fun up 'till now. I have always identified with heavy music, starting when I was about 13 listening to Christian "Death Metal" and moving through all the heavy genres eventually ending up starting a "post hardcore/jazz fusion" band which did well for about 6 years. One day I ended my "music career", my relationship with my fiance of 8 years, and my 3 year addiction to methamphetamine and heroin after having a revalation, and ever since then my ability to enjoy heavy music has completely disappeared. But as of recently (maybe the last 2 months) I have been REALLY effected by the heaviest of music that I hear on the radio. (I still have not gone back to listening to my record collection) Some songs have sent me into pure kundalini exstacy, others have created heavy purifacation symptoms such as heavy emotional outbursts. (all crying ones) None of these situations have been preceded by anything other then a close identification with the lyrics of the song I am hearing. For instance I just heard a "Rage Against The Machine" song, the one that ends with chanting "F@#$ you I won't do what you tell me!" on the radio and as soon as the song hit the end chanting part, kundalini shivers AND heat, as well as intense bliss and exstacy and a hot pressure on my third eye as well. The feelings are still persisting even though the song ended probably 15 minutes ago. Anyone else have experiences like this precipitated by heavy "not-very yogic" music?

In Love,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 25 2008 5:15:47 PM

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  6:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I get something from certain parts of songs which have nothing to do with spirituality.

An interesting thing is that "F@#$ you I won't do what you tell me" is expressing freedom. An angry kind of freedom, but freedom nonetheless. Maybe you're sensing that on a deeper level, and your bhakti rises in response.

Also could be the catharsis of the song. Some songs are really good at bringing emotions up in others, especially songs that are beautiful (or beautifully ugly), angry, depressing, truthful, etc. These are some of the best songs ever made, and describing that magical element they have is hard to do.
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  9:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Navras" from the motion picture "THE MATRIX: REVOLUTIONS", is a heavy techno-industrial-trance piece that employs the following Sanskrit mantras:

Sanskrit:

asato ma sad gamaya
asato ma sad gamaya
tamaso ma jyotir gamaya
mrtyor mamrtam gamaya

Om shanti shanti shanti

Jnani manasa saha
Buddhis ca na vicestate
Tam ahuh paramam gatim

English:

From delusion lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality.

Let there be peace everywhere

When the five senses and the mind are still, and reason itself rests in silence, then begins the Path supreme

The following YouTube video presents the entire song along with a MATRIX music video. I recommend ignoring the video and listening to the song itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2BWUCH3e8

Strong stuff ... one of my favorite pieces of "movie music".
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  01:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey CarsonZi

Not sure what you mean by "not-very yogic" music...

But, yes, I also get pleasant ecstatic reactions to heavy music. Sometimes there is a deeper meaning and emotion in the music that isn't apparent on the surface. Perhaps our inner silence perceives this, and our ecstasy responds to it.

I'm actually listening to Death Magnetic (Metallica's new album) for the first time tonight, and getting a lot of activity in the spine.

Rock on, brother!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  1:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cosmic Troll,

When I said "not very yogic" music I was meaning music not conducive to meditation I think. Something along those lines. I often wonder if the frequencies and vibrations from songs have specific effects on people regardless of lyrics. I wonder if someone has ever made a catalog of the effects that are caused in human emotion (or human physical reactions) by specific frequencies. I know that "brown" noise will make you crap yourself and such, but I'm more interested in being able to produce a "love everything/ecstatic" type of effect through sound frequencies.
In Love,
CarsonZi

P.S. The type of music I am talking about when I say "heavy music" is epitomized by bands like "The Handshake Murders", "Neck", "The End" and "Refused".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000