Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 kechari mudra and buddhism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  6:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been obsessed with finding information regarding Kechari mudra in Buddism, but so far no luck.

I wonder if anyone can help.

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  7:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try this site for useful web search engines, etc.

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Librar...archengines/
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Buddhists don't generally go in for practices which directly stimulate sexual energy. I think your best bet would be to try the Tantric Buddhist sects from Mahayana Buddhism. Some of them may practice it. I can't give you any specific names though. Let us know if you come up with anything.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  11:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  01:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi alwayson,

In my past spiritual seeking, I've read instructions on several zazen/meditation/tai chi practices that mention "touching the tongue to the roof of the mouth". The term "kechari" was never used, and there wasn't much emphasis on this aspect of the practice (or on reaching the sinuses).

So I believe some Buddhist-oriented practices utilize something like kechari, but don't place the same importance on it that yoga (or AYP) does.

In Unity
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  11:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
me as well during my past studies read about using the toungue to touch the roof of the mouth in some far eastern traditions.

falun dafa is one of those traditions, which use the toungue in their practices.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  8:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I missed this until now.

Here is a quote from the Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: "I thought: 'Suppose that I, clenching my teeth and pressing my tongue against the roof of my mouth, were to beat down, constrain, & crush my mind with my awareness.' So, clenching my teeth and pressing my tongue against the roof of my mouth, I beat down, constrained, & crushed my mind with my awareness. Just as a strong man, seizing a weaker man by the head or the throat or the shoulders, would beat him down, constrain, & crush him, in the same way I beat down, constrained, & crushed my mind with my awareness. As I did so, sweat poured from my armpits. And although tireless persistence was aroused in me, and unmuddled mindfulness established, my body was aroused & uncalm because of the painful exertion. But the painful feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

"I thought: 'Suppose I were to become absorbed in the trance of non-breathing.' So I stopped the in-breaths & out-breaths in my nose & mouth. As I did so, there was a loud roaring of winds coming out my earholes, just like the loud roar of winds coming out of a smith's bellows... So I stopped the in-breaths & out-breaths in my nose & mouth & ears. As I did so, extreme forces sliced through my head, just as if a strong man were slicing my head open with a sharp sword... Extreme pains arose in my head, just as if a strong man were tightening a turban made of tough leather straps around my head... Extreme forces carved up my stomach cavity, just as if a butcher or his apprentice were to carve up the stomach cavity of an ox... There was an extreme burning in my body, just as if two strong men, grabbing a weaker man by the arms, were to roast & broil him over a pit of hot embers. And although tireless persistence was aroused in me, and unmuddled mindfulness established, my body was aroused & uncalm because of the painful exertion. But the painful feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

These come from MN36, here is the link to the entire thing. In this discourse, he tells his personal story of his Path to Enlightenment. http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/...036-tb0.html

Jill

Edited by - jillatay on Nov 11 2008 8:34:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000