AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 article on Kundalini Syndrome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  6:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Found an informative article on "Kundalini Syndrome":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_Syndrome

Interesting to know that western doctors are giving this some attention.

All the best.

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  9:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the article, YogaIsLife. It made me feel better that the things listed are common, since my kundalini awoke, six years ago, and I am up and down with experiences. It is a very difficult purification process to deal with, because you feel like you are going crazy (to use a label) Or as Gopi Krishna put it, you feel like 'one of the mentally afflicted'.

I'll list some of my experiences that were precipitated by a dream, before my kundalini awoke:

- spontaneous samadhi
- feeling of a disconnect with people
- anxiety
- panic attacks
- rushing thoughts
- paranoia
- siddhis
- loss of employment (which was big for me, since I've worked for people with disabilities for fifteen years and always held a job).
- fear
- anger
- mood swings
- suicidal thoughts
- increased awareness
- increased sex drive
- increased understanding
- decreased ego
- increased ego
- confusion
- disassociation
- feelings of intense love
- vibrational sensations
- increased intuition
- various states of consciousness
- precognitive dream states

These are just some of the things that I have encountered. Some have dissipated and some have remained.

But I wanted to share some of these things with others who are wanting to awaken the kundalini and are in a rush to have this happen. When maybe it's better to be prepared and focus on whatever practice a person chooses, so that when the kundalini does awaken it's more manageable, understandable.

I also wanted to add that I have never had any physical, mental, emotional symptoms/problems, before my kundalini awoke - so it makes it very difficult to acclimate and not attach meaning to experiences and just witness the process. It's definitely a rollercoaster ride at times:

Take care:

VIL

Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good information VIL!

What have been your practices before and after your K awakened?

I'm more into AYP and ashtanga yoga to make me happy and healthy and with a family I need to prevent any overloads.

Thanks for any info you (or others) can share!

I did review the article....

Summary of known problems: Death, pseudo death, psychosis, pseudo psychosis, confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, sadness, suicidal thoughts, urges to self-mutilate, homicidal urges, arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), exacerbation of prior or current mental illness, insomnia, inability to hold a job, inability to talk, inability to drive, sexual pains, temporary blindness, and headaches.

YIKES!

...I guess I would prefer pseudo death over .... DEATH!

I think I'm gonna self pace heavily now....

Edited by - machart on Oct 21 2008 11:11:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  05:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi VIL,

Thank you so much for sharing. I had/have common experiences. Can I ask: what kind of measures did you take to relieve the symptoms? I found that deep meditation helped me in grounding and remaining more stable in the middle of, what I like to call, the "storm"
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  1:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
machart: YIKES!

...I guess I would prefer pseudo death over .... DEATH!

I think I'm gonna self pace heavily now....

LOL machart:

The wording kind of struck me as funny too. But I suppose it could mean that the same type of mental states or stages are experienced as those faced with the imminent loss of their physical mortality: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, as it is theorized here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B...r-Ross_model

quote:
machart: What have been your practices before and after your K awakened?

This is a tough question to answer, since I didn't practice, per say, and yet I had been practicing since I was young, but didn't know that it was a form of meditation or that I was withdrawing the senses (pratyahara).

After the kundalini awakened I tried everything from changing my diet, tantra, sexual abstinence, quit smoking, began smoking again, changing thoughts, self-inquiry, focusing on the now, present moment, prayer, different asanas, mudras, et al, sufi teachings, kabbalah, Bahaism, Yoga, Buddhism, Hinduism, AYP, Adyavaita or whatever else I could investigate or use. Some things ease the process and some don't. So, I just kind of take it day by day and the thing that keeps me sane is the precognitive dream that precipitated the experience, which prods you forward or reassures you that it is a process and will end in a beautiful way.

quote:
machart: I'm more into AYP and ashtanga yoga to make me happy and healthy and with a family I need to prevent any overloads.

That's what it's all about, isn't it? Like most of us, I have responsibilities, myself, and have no interest in being a solitary monk/ascetic and care more about helping people then getting wrapped up in the ego trappings. That's a tough one, since experiences are also amazing, and it's important not to feel any type of specialness or attachment to these things. So, you have your heart in the right place and I feel the same way that you do. I'd rather be a ignoramous who loves people and is comfortable in my own skin then the wisest other worldly person. That may be the wrong view of things, but that's where I'm at right now.

quote:
YogaIsLife: Thank you so much for sharing. I had/have common experiences. Can I ask: what kind of measures did you take to relieve the symptoms? I found that deep meditation helped me in grounding and remaining more stable in the middle of, what I like to call, the "storm".

Thank you, too, YogaIsLife, and can you share some of your experiences, if you don't mind? As far as relieving the symptoms, I kind of touched on what I do/don't do above. What has been a steady help is letting go and meditation (sometimes). It depends on the day. Letting go, meaning, that when I am holding on to what I think a spiritual person should talk like, act, or be and just working on being my imperfect self. But not using this as excuse, either, for improper talk, actions. Just finding balance. Not being afraid to say the wrong things and not getting caught up in other people's belief systems, regardless how wonderful/beneficial they may be. If it's not for me, then it's not. Self honesty is a big one and a hard one too. Prayer is something that I always do and can be considered a practice, but I just speak plainly to God or The Higher Self, Brahman, or Whatever, 'I had a hard day today and I'm sick of all of this garbage and I know that you are aware of everything and things will improve, BUT!...' Anyway, long story short, once the kundalini is unleashed, I've come to realize that there's not a whole lot you can do, (using your analogy of a storm) but wait it out. It teaches patience and many other things that I'm sure that I am unable to understand.

So, there you have it, and sorry about the long post.

Take care:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Oct 22 2008 2:07:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a very nice article, thk you for sharing.

something caught my attention in the end of it, quote: Teachers of Yoga familiar enough to guide students through the completion of Kundalini karmic release are so rare that the likeliness of having side effects solved smoothly is unlikely.

if only we could post the link to this website on that page so that people with k problems would drop by AYP.

light and love,

Ananda

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  4:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi VIL,

Many many tahnks for the sharing. Indeed it seems we have some things in common.

You say

quote:
"This is a tough question to answer, since I didn't practice, per say, and yet I had been practicing since I was young, but didn't know that it was a form of meditation or that I was withdrawing the senses (pratyahara).

After the kundalini awakened I tried everything from changing my diet, tantra, sexual abstinence, quit smoking, began smoking again, changing thoughts, self-inquiry, focusing on the now, present moment, prayer, different asanas, mudras, et al, sufi teachings, kabbalah, Bahaism, Yoga, Buddhism, Hinduism, AYP, Adyavaita or whatever else I could investigate or use. Some things ease the process and some don't. So, I just kind of take it day by day and the thing that keeps me sane is the precognitive dream that precipitated the experience, which prods you forward or reassures you that it is a process and will end in a beautiful way."

I also have never practiced anything formally before but, as you, I can clearly see that, since I am a child, I've been a seeker and have used some "techniques" for understanding the meaning of life. I remember siting for meditation and just "going inside me" and feeling this intense blackness and fear (I was very young here but remember it perfectly). I also loved to go to nature and feel this "presence" (god - I just don't know if I was daydreaming but this proves probably an intense longing that I could have carried from past lifes). Also I remember making loads of questions (I still do!) about the meaning of things (like "who made the sun" and stuff like that) and my parents being a bit overwhelmed by them. Growing up I had other experiences where I deliberately went inside and played with my energies, but I had never read anything about spiritual practices! I just "wanted to go inside". But it was often in an agressive, non-planned out way.

I am becoming more and more suspicious I too may have an active kundalini. How do you know for sure one has an active kundalini?

For 6-8 years now, after an incredible experience of some nights, I have been unstable and unable to stabilise very well. I relate very well to what you say about taking it one day at a time and not existing one single technique that relieves all symptoms. I can't even explain my symptoms very well but they include dilusions, rampant thoughts accompained by stinging/desorienting sensations, energy rebeling inside, paranoia, anger/frustration, difficulty in sleeping, pain in specific areas of body etc. It has been so strong I have even stopped working for a while and now returned, feeling a bit better with meditation. Hope it holds...And it is nothing physical because I have done all the tests and nothing seems to explain my condition and complaints. Oh well...

I also have blissful (and very creative) moments and for some months in the beggining I was in a state of harmony and bliss hard to describe. I felt at one with things, or more like flowing with the river of life or something like that. Then, I got very afraid (a deep deep fear) and since that day I was never able to remain stable again. It is weird...but I too have hope...what else can you do?

The hardest thing is that it is hard for me to understand it and even more to explain it to people so it also affects my social life and even affected my sanity very much (I feel better now).

I start to think I am one of the cases that yogani mentions about previous lifes. He wrote, for example, in his Asanas book:

"Why does the imbalance happen? It has been due mainly to lack of education both in the present, and in the past when the seeds of current energy upheavals have been planted. Indeed, a few people are born with energy imbalances, sometimes accompanied strong spiritual aspirations - sugesting possible agressive and unbalanced spiritual endeavors before this lifetime."

This seems to fit me like a glove, although I don't remember any past life and don't ever thought I would ever believe this things! Could it be?

Sorry for the long post but, as you may understand, I am just finding out this things and just found yoga and meditation and things seem to start to glue together...in a gentle way...at least I hope
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  4:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, could I also ask: what is the difference between a crown opening and a kundalini awakening? Can one have a premature crown opening and not have kundalini awakened or the 2 are inseperable?

I ask because for a long time I have also a lot of staying sensations at the scalp, mostly unpleseant, like stinging, or it feels like cracks on the top of my head with energy leaking or being blocked. This is accompanied by a "spaced out" feeling, not very nice, like ungrounded. So I might have a prematurely open crown as well...

Or maybe I just suffer from chronic anxiety really. And am just complicating matters.

Edited by - YogaIsLife on Oct 22 2008 7:18:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  9:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, YogaIsLife, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, and can relate with you. It can be pretty awful, at times, since it's a confusing process regardless if a person has had a kundalini awakening or not. An AYP method, that I forgot to mention, that helps me, too, is to self-pace and stop any spiritual practice altogether and do some earthy things, like walking, hiking, gardening, helping other people, or things along these lines if the thoughts or overload symptoms get to be too much. It's better to just go out and ground and not even think about it, since the behavior/action will have a positive affect, naturally reducing tension, whether physical, mental, emotional, etc. And I've found that, for some reason, simply being out in nature helps. I've even talked to people, who have my best interest at heart, who have no knowledge of kundalini, but we all can relate to the human experience on one level or another. Stress is stress. People can understand that, regardless of the source, even if other experiences aren't understood.

quote:
YogaIsLife: I am becoming more and more suspicious I too may have an active kundalini. How do you know for sure one has an active kundalini?

As far as knowing that it is a kundalini is up to each individual to decide for themselves. There are many articles on the net that you can investigate, and I'm not an authority to say who has or hasn't had the kundalini awakening. And I have to remind myself that it's not about kundalini, or related phenomenon (scenery), but about realization, and connection with other people.

quote:
YogaIsLife: Sorry, could I also ask: what is the difference between a crown opening and a kundalini awakening? Can one have a premature crown opening and not have kundalini awakened or the 2 are inseperable?

People have reported this to be the case without a kundalini awakening. But I wouldn't call it a true crown opening. I know that the term "opening" is a general word used, here at AYP, meaning that the prana is temporarily concentrated within a particular chakra area, that can create problems, phenomenona, scenery, and not that there is duration of enlightened experience, or realization, since there is lack of purification, (or an imbalance) within other areas of the body, and overload symptoms are inevitable.

The difference between a true crown opening and kundalini awakening, I don't know, since I haven't had duration of experience or am not purified enough to say, since I'm not realized, but have read that the kundalini awakens, clears blockages, and then merges with the crown. It is then led back down to a lower chakra, but not one below the heart. My kundalini has reached the throat (vishuddhi) and stopped there. So, I truly couldn't say based on personal experience. I have had crown activation, but not a true opening, which would mean that the person has reached nirvana, realization, liberation or whatever term is used.

Anyway, take care, and thank you for sharing your experiences:

VIL

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  04:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for your understanding VIL. I have tried the remedies you suggest and they don't seem to help me. In fact, physical activity seems to drain me even more and helping others per se does not help either. There is definitely a lot of tension in the head, whatever it is, and causes imbalance. Meditation is helping me and becoming aware of the present as well. It is a tough job but someone has to do it.

Maybe I am too closed, not too open. I will now start Tai Chi, and will try Shiatsu to see if it smoothes things out, and also some counselling may not hurt. And, of course, keeping steady and gentle with meditation, my best aid at the moment.

But please, don't make this thread about me!
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Ananda: something caught my attention in the end of it, quote: Teachers of Yoga familiar enough to guide students through the completion of Kundalini karmic release are so rare that the likeliness of having side effects solved smoothly is unlikely.

I read a Sufi story a couple of days ago concerning the student and teacher relationship. I couldn't find the article, but I'll just give you my spin on it even if it's not entirely the way it should be said and maybe I'll just embellish the story a little for the fun of it. I thought that you would enjoy it, Ananda:

Anyway, my version of the Sufi story goes...

There was a student that had been with his Murshid (teacher), for some time, and had grown a nice dark beard symbolizing a fair amount of spiritual growth/progress. Content with his progess, and admiring his thick black beard, one day, the student also notices that grey hairs have begun to sprout up everywhere, distracting from the beauty of his accomplishment...

Not knowing what to do, the student frantically approaches his teacher, with his dilemna, begging his teacher's help to also point out the grey hairs so that they can be properly removed...

So the teacher hesitates for only a moment, grabs a razor, and in one quick swoop of the the blade he hands the student his speckled beard and says, 'Remove them yourself'.

VIL

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4447 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  06:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaisLife
quote:
Sorry, could I also ask: what is the difference between a crown opening and a kundalini awakening? Can one have a premature crown opening and not have kundalini awakened or the 2 are inseperable?

I ask because for a long time I have also a lot of staying sensations at the scalp, mostly unpleseant, like stinging, or it feels like cracks on the top of my head with energy leaking or being blocked. This is accompanied by a "spaced out" feeling, not very nice, like ungrounded. So I might have a prematurely open crown as well...

Kundalini awakening is when the vast store of energy at the base of your spine awakens and begins to move upwards through your body. A crown opening is when your crown chakra starts to open and expand energetically.

The symptoms you describe do sound very much like your crown chakra is starting to open. The feelings of discomfort are not common though, which would suggest that you are not yet ready for a crown opening to happen.

Although it is difficult to say if your kundalini is awakened or not from the symptoms you described in your other post above, I would say it is likely because of the symptoms you are getting at your crown chakra. Often they go hand in hand.

I wanted to ask, what is your current AYP practice routine?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi christi,

Thank you very much for joining in.

Right now, and for almost 6 months, I religiously do deep meditation as prescribed, for about 10 minutes as more becomes unconfortable.

It has been great to stabilize all my symptoms. I feel more grounded, stable, solid inside. I notice a big difference actually. So I tend to think energies were going chaotic in my system and meditation centers them into the main channel (sushumna maybe). Or maybe I was being ruled by the wandering mind and body and mediattion connected me with the deepest, solid, levels. Well, what I know is that it has helped me.

I wish there was a machine that will "see" our internal energy mechanics and our conscieousness for easy diagnosis and treatment. Maybe some day...

Oh, I also do sometimes a bit of microcosmic orbit but only very little as it stimulates me. I concentrate in deep meditation though, as it is the stabilizing, grounding, practice for me right now. Another thing I can say is that, when I am feeling more unstable (the energy chaotic inside) everything that is stimulating or exciting makes it worse, like I am going to brake apart or something, such as exciting activities, sex, even laughter or aerobic exercises. Again this seem to be connected with an unpleaseant "ballon-kind of feeling" in the head and constriction in the neck and eyes. What I know is that, for now, deep meditation smoothes things out very well and I am able to go on with my day pretty smoothly and remain stable and I feel that as each day goes by and I continue practice that gets more more stable and solid. Let's hope!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4447 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  11:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaislife,

quote:
Another thing I can say is that, when I am feeling more unstable (the energy chaotic inside) everything that is stimulating or exciting makes it worse, like I am going to brake apart or something, such as exciting activities, sex, even laughter or aerobic exercises.

This is a classic symptom of kundalini energy- it is strongly influenced by these things. That alone pretty much clinches the diagnosis. No need for a super detection machine, although it would be handy.

Normally in the case of energy overload, it is advised to walk to ground out the energy, and I usually recommend 1 or 2 hours a day if you can. But you mentioned above that walking makes things worse. This can happen if your energy situation is quite unstable. Basically, as well as grounding, walking (being a form of aerobic excersise) has a stimulating effect on the kundalini. So if you have become very sensitive to aerobic excersise, then even walking (or digging in the garden) will not help.

As you say, you are improving day by day, so you could just carry on as you are. I don't know if you know, but Yogani has advised many people with wayward kundalini symptoms to add spinal breathing to their practice in order to help balance out the energies. He says that many people have found it helpful. See here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2374#19816

I take it that you are not practicing any mudras or bandhas. If you are then I would stop. And avoid sex like the plauge .... until you are more stable that is.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi for your help. So I have a name for it now Somehow I still hesitate calling it kundalini but who knows. I had the idea that kundalini is a lot of energy running around, and in my case I somehow felt weaker rather than stronger.

It is true that it is mostly exciting, perceived dangerous, or stimulating things and events that give instability to my system. It has always been since I had the problems more severely. I would try to control it through rationality but my body had its own agenda so it was a real struggle for some years, only the sufferer knows about this. I feel I am still recovering.

But well, don't let this gloom you! I don't want to go around complaining. I do feel better now and that is the important thing. Will keep on doing what I am doing and see how it goes. These are challenging times as I have (again) moved country and lifestyle and I'll see if I'll hold the stability. I'll keep on clinging to my meditation routine!

Yes, I have tried spinal breathing but it does not help me, in fact it worsens things I sense, due to, precisely, its stimulating effects on the energy (could it be that my channels are too closed?). I wrote about my experience with SB here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=4432. I did find out about Microcosmic Orbit and that has helped, it goes much smoother up the front so I think I might have had some kind of block in the front channel. But even this I keep to a minimum because it is stimulating, although it does bring some balance due to the circulation of energy.

Regarding walking or exercise: no, it does not help in general. I usually feel more drained afterwards and spaced out. I suspect maybe due to energy unbalance and maybe stuck in the head and/or a crown opening seeping energy out.

Yes, sex! Avoid it like the plague I know that one very well. I haven't had partened sex for some years now because of this and even been avoiding relationships. Not because I did not want them but because if I wasn't understanding what was happening, how could I explain it to someone else? I did not fully consciously know that I should avoid sex because of kundalini or such, but it was clear in my system that sex would be very bad - I would start shaking, etc. every time I got a litle aroused. It still happens sometimes although I can control it a little better. But even solo is bad - if I would have an orgasm it felt like I was desitegrating or dying or something, but not is a nice way!, like my energy just zapped out of the system or something, hard to explain. A feeling of betrayal to myself or the like would also linger and that is why I relate to tantra very well. The whole deal affected my life in many ways, especially socially, as I feel, for example, I cannot drink alcohol (well, I can, but it makes matters worse) etc. And this (and other aspects that made me feel socially awkward) is not easy to explain to people either, although I am finding the confidence now to just be myself and don't care which is quite nice Hey, I had to grow up someday! Meditation, without a doubt, has been my solid rock. It, without an active effort on my part (like I used to have when I was trying to control my imbalances by sheer mental power), creates a solid centre, that is more unnafected by the flows and currents of energy. That is nice

Yogani said it well in the other thread you mentioned:

"Under normal circumstance (here in AYP), we will have a good foundation in inner silence via deep meditation before we have awakened kundalini, and we are in much better shape then, with the witness present, which helps us tremendously to ride through any bumpy periods. The witness (our silent self) never feels the bumps, and we can remain steady even as any storms of energy that may come up are raging."

I guess I might have come the other way around...but at least meditation it's doing its job, thank god!

Oh, there is one thing I remembered that can also be related to kundalini. Before I found this site and still didn't know much about yoga or meditation I decided, to try to find some stability, to try meditation (inner guru guiding me? I like to believe so because soon after I found AYP). But I had read nothing formal about meditation practice so I just sat down on the floor with my legs crossed and decided to close my eyes and let whatever wanted to arise to arise (I was feeling strong currents inside of me and decided to give it a go to let them "do their thing"). What usually happened was what later I came to know from this site to be automatic yoga: I would start oscillating from the bottom of my spine up, sometimes left to right, soemtimes front to back and soemtimes in a circular motion, like a pendulum. This was a big revelation for me as it was clearly not a voluntary movement from me! It came from inside, from this force inside! Other times my back would just bend forward like my forehead wanted to touch the ground. Later I saw that this is yoga mudra! Anyway, I dont like to think much about this things and I dont incentive them anymore because they are hard experiences and it seems I am calling them back by thinking about them. They don't smooth things out at all. I want the snake to be calm and rest well!

You asked if I practice mudras or bandhas. No I dont. When I started AYP yogani suggested while doing a short asanas routine to do Uddiyana even in the light routine. Immediately I saw this was not good to me and this is in accordance with unruly energies and kundalini. So yes, I stay away from those Mulabandha sometimes happens spontaneously for a little while and that is ok, does not feel bad, it is pleasing. And siddhasana does pleasing as well, but I don't do it much. I avoid mudras by norm, I just experiment a little with them sometimes to see how they feel.

Sorry for the very long post and for reading up to here! Writing and sharing also helps me to understand better my situation. Also, I find this things very interesting and fascinating and, besides potentially being of any help to someone, I see it as my small contribution to that great science that is yoga. Amen brother!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4447 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  06:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaislife,

quote:
Sorry for the very long post and for reading up to here! Writing and sharing also helps me to understand better my situation.

Don't appologise! That's what the forum is here for.

quote:
Yes, sex! Avoid it like the plague I know that one very well. I haven't had partened sex for some years now because of this and even been avoiding relationships. Not because I did not want them but because if I wasn't understanding what was happening, how could I explain it to someone else? I did not fully consciously know that I should avoid sex because of kundalini or such, but it was clear in my system that sex would be very bad - I would start shaking, etc. every time I got a litle aroused.

My body used to shake during sex for about 5 years. At the time I didn't know anything about kundalini and I had never heard of it happening to anyone else. But I was conscious that I had energy moving in my body that most people seemed to be unaware of, so it did not bother me too much.

You will probably find that after your energies stabalize, your whole body will continue to shake during sex for some time. Gradually the shaking will stop, as the nerve channels open up, and the same energy will then be felt as ecstasy (and may even be felt in your partner's body as ecstasy, due to the mechanichs of ecstatic radiance). So it's all heading in a really good direction.

quote:
I would start oscillating from the bottom of my spine up, sometimes left to right, soemtimes front to back and soemtimes in a circular motion, like a pendulum.

This is caused by the kundalini energy moving up through the ida and pingala nadis instead of through the sushumna. Here is a picture of the spiraling energy channels on either side of the sushumna nadi:

http://www.tantra-kundalini.com/nadis.htm

I'm not sure why the guy is blue, but I do like his hat . When the energy moves through these nadis it causes the oscilating movement. As your system purifies, the energy will move up through the sushumna and will be a lot more stable (and enjoyable).

quote:
When I started AYP yogani suggested while doing a short asanas routine to do Uddiyana even in the light routine.

I don't know why Yogani would have advised that. Maybe he didn't have the full picture on how unstable your system was?

quote:
Mulabandha sometimes happens spontaneously for a little while and that is ok, does not feel bad, it is pleasing. And siddhasana does pleasing as well, but I don't do it much. I avoid mudras by norm, I just experiment a little with them sometimes to see how they feel.

I would avoid both mulabhanda and siddhasana until things are more stable. At least until you can go for a long walk without it feeling that it is putting you out of balance.

On the good side of all this, it does mean that as soon as your energy system becomes stable again, you will have a really good idea of what does what, energy-wise. You will be able to move ahead faster, knowing how to use pranayama, how to use meditation and how to keep things in balance.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  07:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Christi, thank you so much!

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would start oscillating from the bottom of my spine up, sometimes left to right, soemtimes front to back and soemtimes in a circular motion, like a pendulum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is caused by the kundalini energy moving up through the ida and pingala nadis instead of through the sushumna.

This makes sense. It sometimes happens even now in meditation but it is not even closely as dramatic, it is much more subtle and internal. it feels more like a pump motion going up, maybe the energy it's find its way through the sushumna.

quote:
Here is a picture of the spiraling energy channels on either side of the sushumna nadi:

http://www.tantra-kundalini.com/nadis.htm

I'm not sure why the guy is blue, but I do like his hat . When the energy moves through these nadis it causes the oscilating movement. As your system purifies, the energy will move up through the sushumna and will be a lot more stable (and enjoyable).

HAHAHA this about the blue guy made me laugh. Yes, I understand what you mean, again, it makes sense.

quote:
quote:
When I started AYP yogani suggested while doing a short asanas routine to do Uddiyana even in the light routine.

I don't know why Yogani would have advised that. Maybe he didn't have the full picture on how unstable your system was?

Sorry, maybe I didn't express it right. He didn't advice me personally. It is in the AYP system, in the asana routine (the shortest one, that I tried for a while). It was my decision (as a begginer) to do a bit of asanas, but now, if at all, I just do some back and forward stretches and twisting of the spine.

quote:
I would avoid both mulabhanda and siddhasana until things are more stable. At least until you can go for a long walk without it feeling that it is putting you out of balance.

Ok, I can do that.

quote:
On the good side of all this, it does mean that as soon as your energy system becomes stable again, you will have a really good idea of what does what, energy-wise. You will be able to move ahead faster, knowing how to use pranayama, how to use meditation and how to keep things in balance.

That is something to look forward to! Thank you again for your help.
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Lang, the noted British psychiatrist, has taken up the study of "spiritual emergence" in connection with "psychotic breaks."

So then, see:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22p...nt=firefox-a

See, for example,

http://www.conjar.com/kundalini3.htm

Interested in commentary on unstable cognitive functioning.

newpov

Edited by - newpov on Nov 08 2008 10:01:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  5:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING THE RIGHT KIND OF SPIRITUAL WORK, OR DID YOU STRAY IN UNCONVENTIONAL METHODS FOR RAISING KUNDALINI? HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO RAISE IT?
Thank you,
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page

Chrisk

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  7:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After reading all the posts, I doubt it is VIL' s head chakra that is opening. I dont think you are even close to have opened your head chakra. Are you sure you are doing the right kind of spiritual exercises? Have you been following AYP practice all the time, or have you been heavy in the past on pranayama, or other practices like yoga, etc? Yogani strickly specifies that if we are not grounded to meditation we get adverse results. Can you tell me the hand mudras that you unconciously experience?
Thanks,
Chris.
======
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000