Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 FORMULA? I am the way, the truth, and the life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  12:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Inquiry into this alleged saying of Jesus: “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”

I wonder if this be not just an individual's proclamation of identity, but also an implicit formula for how to get started in yoga? Is it laying out a valid sequence or progression of concerns or goals for the AYP beginner?

We begin with our mantra: I am.....

FIRST:

I am..... shreya

["I am the way"... Said Ramakrishna, "If you want to go east, don't go west." Choose shreya over preya. See:
quote:
"Preya is what is pleasant; shreya, what is beneficial... ... both Preya and Shreya are promising the same thing: satisfaction. One you get immediately, but it comes and goes; the other requires effort, but its benefits stay with you... Preya looks promising at the beginning, but no one likes its destination. Shreya seems uninviting, but it takes us where we want to go... " -- Eknath Easwaran, Dialogue with Death.

When we don't choose preya, we are choosing shreya. Maybe bhakti increases as with ever increasing vigilance, we forsake Death for Life.]

SECOND:

I am...... stillness

["I am the truth".... I do my deep meditation]

THIRD:

I am...... prana

["I am the life"...... later I take up spinal breathing pranayama]

AND THEN THE INNER GURU TAKES OVER:

I am....... an infinity of worlds

[my house has many interesting rooms or levels of consciousness and the terrain of identity has many sights, but in renouncing the scenery and avoiding the seductions, we keep right on going, until one day......]

I am..... that

I am........ us

I am...... yogic service and stillness in action

“I am the way. I am truth and life. No one comes to the father except through me.” -- John 14:6.

Thank you for the hand up, Yogani.

newpov

Edited by - newpov on Sep 07 2008 5:00:09 PM

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  7:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nice post, but dont get to attached to my praise
I am
Neil
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  12:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the quotes are beautiful.... but the mantra 'I am' is just a sound, a vibration, that happens to resonate in English with some meaning. And yes, thank you Yogani.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000