AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Starting sitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  1:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

I wanted to post how things are going. I am very new to this practice and am sitting twice a day for 20 mins. I have decided to be cautious and rest for 10 mins after each meditation. I am hoping this will help prevent too many overload symptoms, as I seem to be quite susceptible to these. In the past with mindfulness of breathing, I have got to the stage where I could not sit at all for a week or two and I would like to avoid this if possible.

I am supporting my back, which makes things more comfortable. I didn't feel right meditating in bed though, I am used to sitting on the floor. I have touched a silence a couple of times, but I also find that my mind goes wild with thoughts when I start the mantra. It can be hard to remember to just allow it all!

While repeating the mantra I can feel energy shifting in my body, mainly hands, feet, brow, neck and chest. A kind of moving pressure and shifting. Not unpleasant, but it certainly gets my attention.
During the day, I have felt physically more centred generally.

I am grateful for this forum and the posts and have been reading extensively. I received "The Secrets of Wilder" and am looking forward to reading this.

Another new experience for me is to not go rushing into things and try to be in control of it all

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  5:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Kathy :),

seems that good things are happening keep on digging there is a lot more gold to be struck and you seem to have the bhakti for it.

search well and thou wilt find.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  6:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kathy...

Well its been a week now and I have faithfully done the mantra and meditation...

I did find it difficult at first but now I actually look forward to doing it...I too sit on the floor using a cushion to rest my back and only today started the cross legged position...

I have had sensations too in the forehead and lower leg regions...

I noticed a very strange "shift" its like bang my consciousness just came alive and I was connected to something...Another time I notices (although my eyes were ofcourse shut...) a huge disc shaped light go from one corner of my eye to the next...

Dont know what it all means fully but I am excited by it nevertheless...

As for your new book I actually loved my copy very very much...

All the best Maha

Edited by - mahabaratara on Aug 19 2008 6:51:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

sapling

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  11:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit sapling's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maha, kathy123

You're both doing great!

It took me a month of practice before I had my first taste of silence! ( I know what you mean by the BANG ). It took yet another month before I could regularily drop through the noisy, thought filled, surface layer to silence. Most of the time I found that the best stuff seemed to come in the last 5 mins or so of meditation and when that happened, the temptation to meditate for longer than 20 mins was strong.

It's now been 9 months of consistant daily practices and I can tell you, from my experience anyway, "you ain't seen nothing yet". The light becomes brighter, the stillness grows wider and deeper, the mantra vibrates, the energy moves, the peace permeates. So easy to get distracted by the scenery, but it's a real treat!

namaste
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  03:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

seems that good things are happening keep on digging there is a lot more gold to be struck and you seem to have the bhakti for it.

Thanks Ananda, yes, something is certainly happening. The bhakti has grown steadily stronger over the past years and looking back, I see that even at times when I did not realise it, things were part of the journey.

quote:
Originally posted by mahabaratara

I did find it difficult at first but now I actually look forward to doing it...I too sit on the floor using a cushion to rest my back and only today started the cross legged position...

Hi Maha, yes, I look forward to it too, quite a lot, although I do find the energy a bit overwhelming too. I have been using a zabuton floor cushion, which is soft and comfortable. It is good for me that there is someone else from the UK beginning at the same time!

quote:
Originally posted by sapling

maha, kathy123

"you ain't seen nothing yet". The light becomes brighter, the stillness grows wider and deeper, the mantra vibrates, the energy moves, the peace permeates. So easy to get distracted by the scenery, but it's a real treat!

namaste

Sapling, thanks - I am really looking forward to the journey. There are quite a few things that really attract me about this practice. One of the most important is having the forum and the encouragement from others who have practiced longer and who can share their experiences.

Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  7:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sapling

maha, kathy123

You're both doing great!

It took me a month of practice before I had my first taste of silence! ( I know what you mean by the BANG ). It took yet another month before I could regularily drop through the noisy, thought filled, surface layer to silence. Most of the time I found that the best stuff seemed to come in the last 5 mins or so of meditation and when that happened, the temptation to meditate for longer than 20 mins was strong.

It's now been 9 months of consistant daily practices and I can tell you, from my experience anyway, "you ain't seen nothing yet". The light becomes brighter, the stillness grows wider and deeper, the mantra vibrates, the energy moves, the peace permeates. So easy to get distracted by the scenery, but it's a real treat!

namaste

Thanks for that I wont get distracted *too* much by the "scenery" this time...

Edited by - mahabaratara on Aug 21 2008 11:45:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  7:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Maha, yes, I look forward to it too, quite a lot, although I do find the energy a bit overwhelming too. I have been using a zabuton floor cushion, which is soft and comfortable. It is good for me that there is someone else from the UK beginning at the same time!

Yes its funny sometimes hpw synchronous things can be...

I just *go* with the flow now...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000