Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 the beauty of asanas in daily practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  11:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I LOVE asanas as part of my daily practice. IMHO I think HATHA is given too little emphasis in the AYP program. I do not think I would have progressed to the AYP program had it not been for Erich Schiffmann, Bryan Kest, Leesa, Donna and Maria helping me unite body and mind. Great teachers that I honor immensely.

Please see http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Spirit-P...p/0671534807

for one of the best books on HATHA ever...!

But thanks to Jesus, Buddha, Sivananda, Satchidananda, Gandhi, Yogi Bhajan, Muktananda, Ram Dass and Yogani the quest continues....

My Love and admiration goes out to all teachers everywhere!

Edited by - machart on Aug 17 2008 10:30:52 AM

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  05:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I think you will find that hatha yoga is only given little emphasis on here because Yogani has put together practices that have the most impact and effect on ones spiritual development/ecstatic conductivity etc.Although Hatha is very good for health and flexibility, I believe it does little once one advances to higher levels of development.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart:

As with all things in yoga, working toward a balanced integration of practices is the key, no matter where in the eight limbs we have begun our journey. Asanas (postures) are definitely important at any stage along the path, comprising one of the eight limbs of yoga. They evolve as we do, becoming more subtle and refined over time, so there may be less physical emphasis and more refined cultivation of ecstatic conductivity. This is true of mudras and bandhas also.

We live in a culture where the word "yoga" has become synonymous with postures, which has been a limited view, of course. As time goes on there will be a broadening of that view to encompass the whole of yoga. Then when people go to yoga/postures class they will know it is about much more than the body and the mat. This has been happening automatically already as consciousness has been steadily rising around the world. Many are finding by direct experience that all the limbs of yoga are intimately connected within us. Those who begin with asanas are finding more interest in spiritual study, meditation and pranayama, just as those who who begin with meditation find more interest in spiritual study, asanas and pranayama. What goes around comes around. We are all wired for it.

As far as AYP is concerned, I do admit to pushing back a bit on the belief that "yoga is postures only." It has needed to be done. On the other hand, the AYP Easy Lessons textbook and the Enlightenment Series books both provide balanced coverage of asanas in relation to the rest of yoga, including instructions for a basic set of postures for inclusion in our twice-daily practice routine consisting of asanas, pranayama and meditation, in that order (with additional practices added when appropriate). These asana instructions have not been included in the online lessons, so far, which might lead some to believe that AYP does not include asanas. Of course, anyone who digs into AYP will find that this is not true. We love asanas as much as we love the rest of the limbs of yoga. How could we not? All the limbs of yoga are intimately connected within us. They are us.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: See this online lesson on yoga asanas: http://www.aypsite.org/71.html
... and this FAQ: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2115

Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  11:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses riptiz and Yogani!

I don't understand when riptiz says that Hatha does little once you are at higher levels of development (but I may be on a lower rung of the ladder so may not see from his vantage point). IMHO being healthy with the ability to achieve a comfortable seat is the greatest siddhi and a pre-requisite for later stages of spiritual development(at least for me...).

I think if people treat the asanas in the beginning part of their practice as an offering to their ISHTA (instead of just a warm-up for DM) the act of performing them becomes a meditation in and of itself. The movie "Chariots of Fire" highlighted this concept in a westernized way.

I don't think AYP needs to cover asanas with any depth since as you say there is so much exposure already out there for them. I do want to caution other newbies to remember that AYP stands for ADVANCED Yoga practices...i.e. I didn't take advanced calculus until I took calculus (twice actually). So your emphasis and advice on self pacing is important for other newbies like me to adhere to in applying the advanced practices.

There is no doubt that your instructions on SB and DM has increased my stillness, so I will be forever grateful.

Love your contributions! Keep up the good work.

Edited by - machart on Aug 17 2008 2:38:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  2:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
machart, this is my take on what I have studied from here and other sources

person A has a lot of inner stillness
person B has a ridgid mind that clings onto things

Person A can do asanas for 10 minutes a day and release themselves into the asana very much. They also can use commands for their body to go into the postures, they can also command their energy to flow there at a faster rate

Person B can do asans for two hours a day and not go as deep as person A. If person B thinks it will take two hours a day then their mind and body will accomodate that.

If you think you need 5000 asanas and meditate for 4 hours a day, then that is what you will need to do to feel you did what you needed to do. How fast your mind goes into the stillness largely depends on your beleive of how long you will need. The faster you can let go the faster you can get their, wherever that may be.

I beilieve in a process of evoultion and I also believe in quantam leeps of understandings. you can meditte everyday and feel good results and then all the sudden in a single moment you have something happen that changes your life forever.

you ever hear of people who had near death experiences and they say, my whole life flashed before my eyes? How does so much time flash before their eyes in such a short amount of time? Because tiem is not what a lot of us percieve it to be.

another expample. One day I sat ouside in the freezing cold 30 Degrees farinhieght, -1 degree celsius. the wind was 15mph, about 22km. I sat there in only a pair of shorts doing breath of fire. In doing this I was able to sit there for 45 minutes and I felt perfectly fine because this breath is a heating breath. Now if I learn myself more I beleive I would be able to turn on this heating mechanism without doing this breath at all. If you can turn it on physically you can turn it on mentally, but that is just my belief

I had an asana practice 2 weeks ago that was less then 20 minutes and it released so much energy that I did not find the balance for 3 days
The faster you let go, the sooner you can go deeper.

That is my outlook on it.
more than thoughts
Neil
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  8:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tube,

I think you are right.

Each person has their own set of karma that must be worked out and will evolve at their own rate, in their own way, according to their bhakti.

Listening for internal guidance and keeping up practices (whether it is asanas or SB and DM) will help all of us increase stillness.

Thanks for your contribution.

Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  9:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thank you for allowing me to be in the moment while typing my response. :)
my best to you
neil

Edited by - brother neil on Aug 23 2008 9:59:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000