Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Why believe in reincarnation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  04:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Reading and listening to the words of advanced meditators, including Yogani, it seems most if not all of them believe in reincarnation. I've read the topics here and in the AYP lessons on reincarnation, but they seem more like statements of fact than teleological explanations. However, one of the things I really like about AYP is how Yogani takes a pretty scientific attitude and explains things in terms of real experiences as opposed to simply quoting ancient Hindu scripture all the time. (Not that there's anything wrong with scripture, but it's nice to hear first-hand accounts from people still living).

So my question is to those who believe in reincarnation: why do you believe in it? Is it because it just seems to make sense based on your understanding of the universe or is it because some experience has made you believe it? For example, I've heard Tibetan monks say in interviews that they can actually see their own past lives while in a meditative state. Is this an ability that usually comes in the advanced stages of meditation? Or is that unusual? Any comments or experiences? Thanks.

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  11:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a comment. I think that it is possible to directly understand, penetrate into the structure of existence very deeply. Some of these people have probably done it. They reported their experiences and their view from a certain perspective. If we want to do the same thing, to understand, we can, but the understanding itself will necessarily involve letting go of any idea or preconception or belief that we may have or hold, because believing ultimately becomes an obstruction if one wants to go this deep. Their reports can be a good bhakti boost, an energy to use in practices. In my opinion, in the process of human transformation, it's counterproductive to construct big cosmological systems - it can be a form of non-relational inquiry, e.g. inquiry not based on our own inner silence and therefore not an effective spiritual practice :) Much better to live spontaneously from where we are without excessive intelectualizing. Another's view can't replace our own insight and perception for real.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  7:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, I gotta agree with tadeas. I've had a "vision of a past life", but there was no desire there to see that. It just came to me. ANd I don't know if it was actually a past life or just some brain neurons firing off or something. And I'm ok with that. I don't place beliefs on experiences that happen in meditation, it's pretty much all just scenery to me. I saw Buddha's face fly at me once too... plenty of things happen when meditating, though they never come when I expect them to. Ridding myself of all beliefs is pretty much my goal. It's not a fight though, i just know the nature of the mind and beliefs and desires, and that comes by abiding in the watcher while meditating, and slowly bringing that to everyday life. The knowledge we desire usually comes to us when we don't expect it, and often in non expected ways. When the disciple is ready, the guru will come. So I'm a work on becoming the best disciple I can :).
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  03:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I do believe in reincarnation, not as a belief, but as an experience.
It was *revealed* to me from my ancestral shamans time ago, when I awakened my true self while in shamanism, I could saw her, feel her, and know her toughts, it was wonderful, I even saw her dead, her suffering, everything, but with another's eyes, filled with love toward my past persona, this is the most wonderful gift if one can recall and *feel* our past reincarnations, or personas before now. But that doesn't mean that we must focus on that, but on the truth self, I mean the cosmic one. Being on this planet is like going to Disneyworld for a while, you go there, enjoy your journey and then you go back home.

Neli

quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo

Reading and listening to the words of advanced meditators, including Yogani, it seems most if not all of them believe in reincarnation. I've read the topics here and in the AYP lessons on reincarnation, but they seem more like statements of fact than teleological explanations. However, one of the things I really like about AYP is how Yogani takes a pretty scientific attitude and explains things in terms of real experiences as opposed to simply quoting ancient Hindu scripture all the time. (Not that there's anything wrong with scripture, but it's nice to hear first-hand accounts from people still living).

So my question is to those who believe in reincarnation: why do you believe in it? Is it because it just seems to make sense based on your understanding of the universe or is it because some experience has made you believe it? For example, I've heard Tibetan monks say in interviews that they can actually see their own past lives while in a meditative state. Is this an ability that usually comes in the advanced stages of meditation? Or is that unusual? Any comments or experiences? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000