AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Hello
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  1:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. I am new and very happy to have found this forum. I have been looking through the posts and have really found a lot of helpful information.

I have been practising on and off for a number of years and in the last two years have being doing a daily practice. However, I have had problems with various kinds of meditation. I learnt TM a while ago, found it helpful, but when symptoms of irritation, anxiety and feeling disconnected and overstimulated generally arose, no-one knew what was happening and after a while of quite severe discomfort I stopped. I also tried meditating on my breath and had the same problems, again no-one in the tradition I was following seemed to have even heard of problems arising. It got to the point where I could not meditate at all.

Recently I have found various ways to help myself, and was extremely interested to read the long thread about symptoms others suffer and how they deal with them. It is a real relief to understand what is happening and to start finding ways to work with my own energy.

Things I have done which I have found very helpful are as follows
Tai Chi - excellent, something about the energy flowing downwards provides a lot of relief, albeit sometimes only temporarily.

Reiki.
Recently I decided I wanted to be able to work with my energy a bit more and so decided to get a Reiki 1 attunement. This was very interesting and has helped. It brought up initial symptomes of 'flu and aches, much as I had expected, but after that I was left with a new sensitivity to, and ability to work with, my energy. The self healing is especially helpful and smooths the jagged feel that can sometimes come from meditation.

Breathing outwards, with slightly pursed lips, so there is a little resistance, almost as if blowing up a balloon around my body and breathing through the skin of the balloon (sounds weird but it works!)

Another helpful practice I have found is repetition of the Gayatri mantra now and again. The vibrations this creates are very calming to me.

Anyway, enough of an introduction. I am just relieved to have found a place where the things I have been experiencing are understood, worked with and discussed.

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  3:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Kathy.

Have a good look at the main lessons Here and maybe consider taking up AYP as a stand alone practice I went through a lot of extreme symptoms myself before I found AYP and as you say no one seemed to know what they were all about, doing AYP as a stand alone practice set me right and I haven't looked back since.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you all success on your chosen path

Edited by - Richard on Aug 11 2008 6:27:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  5:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Kathy, it's good to have you here

I hope you find the lessons and forums helpful. There is a lot of wisdom and support in both.

Lots of LOVE
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  6:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy, welcome!

I had felt similar symptoms as yourself and also found relief through similar practices that you describe (I know what you mean about exhaling!)

I decided to share one practice that I found helpful for me also: what tolle describes as 'inner body awareness' in his book 'The Power of Now': staying with the feeling of your body, be it a slight tingling of a foot or hand, energy movements or presence in the abdomen or a kind of presence in your whole body or whatever is there. It brings conscioussness back to the body, out of the mind. In me it works, probably I have too much energy in the head.

Still, my core practice is AYP deep meditation. I feel that it connects you to your inner most self and it is from there that all answers come.

All the very best.

Edited by - YogaIsLife on Aug 12 2008 04:33:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  9:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kathy123

Hello everyone. I am new and very happy to have found this forum. I have been looking through the posts and have really found a lot of helpful information.
quote:
Originally posted by kathy123
Reiki.
Recently I decided I wanted to be able to work with my energy a bit more and so decided to get a Reiki 1 attunement. This was very interesting and has helped. It brought up initial symptomes of 'flu and aches, much as I had expected, but after that I was left with a new sensitivity to, and ability to work with, my energy. The self healing is especially helpful and smooths the jagged feel that can sometimes come from meditation.

Hi Kathy, welcome to the Forum!

Four years after receiving my first Reiki treatment, and two years after being attuned to first and second degree Usui Shiki Ryoho by Rev. John Harvey Gray, I felt inspired to receive the kundalini-awakening initiation called shaktipat from Shri Anandi Ma, spiritual heir of Shri Dhyanyogi Madhusudandasji.

Looking back, it seems like my introduction to Reiki was a cleansing and purifying spiritual stepping-stone that prepared me to receive shaktipat and enter the spiritual path of Kundalini Maha Yoga.

Namaste,
Suryakant

Go to Top of Page

maya_1347

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit maya_1347's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathy Welcome!
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  09:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome everyone. I am starting to follow the basic AYP practice. The basics are very similar to TM, although of course the mantra is different. I have sat three times now, and it feels like a very powerful practice. I hope that I will be able to settle down with this, it does feel a bit as if I have been "shopping around", which is not too good. However the upside is that I am gradually learning how to handle the various symptoms that meditating has brought up.

What I do really like is the fact that there is a support forum and I also like the mixture of methods and practices.

Richard, I will try sitting twice a day as mentioned in the lessons.

Suryakant, I have a CD with Shri Anandi Ma chanting, very restful

Anyway, enough for now, thanks again for the warm welcome

Kathy

Edited by - k123 on Aug 12 2008 09:54:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  11:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the forum.

quote:
I am just relieved to have found a place where the things I have been experiencing are understood, worked with and discussed.

I can echo that sentiment.

Two of the most important elements I found, personally, were "favoring practice over experience" and "self pacing", which is essentially preventing, minimizing or handling energy overloads.

It is the understanding of the importance of the application of these concepts for the purpose of sustaining smooth long term practice and achieving ultimate success, and the resulting emphasis on them, that I think are distinctive hallmarks of the AYP method.

It sounds from your post like you have recognized this.

Wish you well, yb.

Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kathy...

Good to see faces from the United Kingdom here...

I was utilising deep breathing myself and it made me relaxed for a while (well atleast physically...!) but I used to get very short with people...I did it again last night and guess what...?

I was short with my wife and daughter again...(My better half calls it being "huffy"...!)

Today I recieved my Advanced Yoga Practices book and very briefly tried the "I AM" meditation...

Lets just say the results were pleasently interesting...

Anyway the best with your journey!

Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I can get like that with my husband. I don't want to make his life difficult, so am trying to find a balance. Good to "meet" you.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  11:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Kathy,

I don't know much about bad results from meditation but in my own case i struggled with anxiety in daily life and it came up big in meditation as headaches. I learnt to live with the pain, some days weren't bad and that was generally when i meditated. I have found over the years that meditation has helped me tremendously and no words can describe it. I am detached from my thoughts to a significant degree and the relaxation i get from meditation is profound. It takes a long time to get results but they do come if you persevere.

My friend sent me some Amazon Herbs which i recieved today and i have just taken a dose and it is amazing! I cannot believe how much better i feel already. This stuff is stronger than anti-depressants and has none of the bad stuff with it. I can't believe it! The name of the product i have is "camu camu" which is a small fruit that grows in the Amazon rainforest and it has tons of vitamin C in it. You might want to check out amazon herbs.

Go to Top of Page

ThisIsTruth

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ThisIsTruth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hallo kathy123
:-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000