Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 need help getting into full lotus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  01:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I need help getting into full lotus.

My muscles are too tight. Any advice?

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What ever you do, don't force it. The only thing I can tell you is patience and persistance and daily practice.

Good luck, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Jul 29 2008 09:18:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  9:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alwayson:
Great Question!
I have the same tight muscles, and can't sit comfortably in Full Lotus either. Hell, I often find discomfort in Half Lotus.
Two things come to mind.
1.Nowhere in the AYP writings does it recommend we should sit in Full Lotus or Half Lotus, only that we sit comfortably.( for me this is a big over-stuffed chair)

2. I think the more we sit comfortably via a daily routine of Deep Meditation the more likely we will be able to sit in Any Lotus position sans discomfort.

Guy
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some exercises recommended to help you prepare for padmasana. Personaly I don't practice it so I can't tell you how effective and beneficient the postures are.

http://zenmontpellier.site.voila.fr...otuseng.html

Edited by - thibaud05 on Aug 01 2008 11:31:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a great DVD by Erich Shiffmann on preparations for lotus. I have had 2 surgeries, one on each knee and after using this DVD for a few months can now do lotus without pain. Any extra flexibility gained in the hips and knees help all sitting postures which are key to enhanced meditation
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000