AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 automatic kumbhaka?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  2:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When I first wake up from sleep, in the early morning hours(4AM), I am not breathing, and in samadhi, but then I gasp for breath and have to take three or four deep breaths. I think this is an automatic kumbhaka due to being in samadhi. Then I get up for the first pranayama/meditation sequence of the day. Do you have this happen too, possibly as a consequence of our practices? If so, do you agree this appears to be an automatic yoga?

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  4:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I agree this appears to be automatic yoga. It's amazing how little we need to breath really... I often find myself not breathing nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, been noticing the same thing too. My breath just pauses from time to time. Sometimes it seems it's when feelings are "settling in" and then when I do breathe I'll feel that feeling sort of expand up my spine.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  02:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so its not sleep apnea?
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snake

so its not sleep apnea?

Hi there,
That occurred to me as one possibility. That's why I wanted to ask you if it happened as a result of all the yoga practices we do.
But I don't think it's sleep apnea, and there are other perceptions that accompany it that leads me to think its something yogic. Like the thought free consciousness and all the energetic buzzing that accompanies it, or rather preceeds it, and then I'm becoming more awake and then I realize I am not breathing, and that I need to, suddenly. Then I'm awake and gasping. It doesn't happen every day but often. And I think that with sleep apnea there are multiple awakenings due to choking throughout the night and the next day the patient feels very sleep deprived. Sleep apnea is associated with obesity and I am of very normal weight.
thanks,

Edited by - x.j. on Jun 24 2008 1:18:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  3:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"and then I realize I am not breathing, and that I need to, suddenly."

Yes, typical! The mind can't understand it's possible to rest in a breathless state so it gets scared and wants to force breathing. As you get used to it, try just to relax and examine the breathless state. For me it's like being a fish under water. Breathing just happens, but not through the lungs... I feel no need to breathe. Until I do.

Edited by - emc on Jun 24 2008 3:21:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000