Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 The sound of nothing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  3:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Alright so... I've started having that weird "metallic cricket" kinda "eeeee" energy in my head lately. After some research here... I found I'm far from being the only one.

I'm just curious as to how much any of you relate this to actual real sound. I'm a musician myself (who takes good care of his ears, this is definetly much different than that loud noise induced tinnitus), I guess I'm kinda curious if any of you are really big on music, and if you've had any experiences in bringing meditation to music or vice versa. And for any of you hearers of the Divine "eeeee"(haha, isn't the sound of nothing exquisite), I'm wondering if you think your ventures in the world in music have affected this in anyway, or... if you think your meditation might of shaped your ventures in music.

I actually wrote a minimalist song not long ago that points to a meditation following the breath. I'll see if I can upload it somewhere, post a link.

Anyway, peace out y'all, am curious to hear your input :).

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  3:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alright, here's the song in MIDI (converted to mp3), I had it performed not long ago too. It was so awesome actually hearing it played by musicians as I stood there, waving my wand around trying to keep everyone in time haha. Two firsts for me, conducting and arranging things for 6 musicians (and I'm crazy enough to try for 12 now haha. I've got some other project boiling up :) ).

Anyway, enjoy :).

http://two.xthost.info/seb09/breath...0MIDI1.1.mp3
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  12:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, not a musician, just wanted to tell you I enjoyed the tune very much. Nice melody! Good luck with your project!
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  11:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Divinis, I think it's great that you composed and directed this piece! What a great example of using your skills for service. Thank you for sharing.

Music has been a huge part of my spiritual practice. I activtly seek out music which will resonate within me. The right music acts like an amplifier to the Sound of Silence (a.k.a. meditation-induced tinnitus) and leads to some amazing energy. The post What are your favorite meditation CDs? has some of the music I enjoy and a description of how it helps me in meditation.

On my last two hikes I reached a wonderful place of internal silence, brought on by chanting and prayer. I'm starting to wonder if the SoS isn't a dead end because the silence I've reached seems so discontinuous with the path I tread via the SoS. I'm too close to give this subject any perspective, though. I just continue to keep an open mind and follow the practices which fill my heart.

namaste,
Joe

Edited by - brushjw on May 16 2008 11:11:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  03:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies :).

Brushjw, I've actually never really used music along with meditation, I have used audio tapes, but left those behind a while back. I do find I'm rather sensitive to music and my surroundings and such, it's kinda weird, I notice my heart can kinda tend so synch up with songs at times. I just noticed what you mean about the SoS being affected by music. I listened to my song again... I kinda dig it haha, and it kinda tuned me in to the "SoS". I feel it's like an intermediar between the inner and outer world.

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  10:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  05:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I see this topic may have moved but I dont know where to! Sorry, I am new to the forum so I still don't know all the rules...

Anyway, I wanted to share my recent experience about music/inspiration and meditation. I make music for some time now. Nothing fancy, just stuff that goes through my mind/heart and I just put it out sometimes. But I started the deep mediattion about 2-3 weeks ago and find that I am changing already...I am more calm but also more 'introspective' maybe, less 'euphoric', less 'all over the place'. But I was going to (and am still) start recording a self-made album of mine and feel a bit strange because the meditation made me like this and I am not used to work like this and I lost a bit of the appetite for recording! And even playing...Maybe I am just afraid of recording? I enjoy making music a lot, even recording, but when it is 'serious' such as recording an album I feel nervous. And meditation is kind of telling me 'oh, that doesn't matter, just be yourself and feeling good is what matters' and now I lack that 'punch' that I had before that made me create and make music but at the same time exhausted me. That kind of kick that made me get out of bed at 3 in the morning becuse I needed to record an idea that had just popped up :) So, in the end, I have mixed feelings: I am happy I am mediatting and feel more at ease, I feel that soemthing is working deep inside of me and I feel it is good in the end, but at the same time I feel a bit 'frustrated' as I seem to have lost that 'edge' that exhasuted me but put my creative force all over the place, expanding, creating, exciting me. What kind of recordings can come out of this? hmm...we'll see :)

I know these are all phases of a process of purification or whatever you want to call it, but it is interesting and I thought it related to the posts above. For the moment I'll just take it a moment at a time and see how I am feeling. Self-pacing even in creativity. Actually, now that I think about it, creative processes and yoga are not so different: both deal with the flow and transformation of energies ;)
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  1:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaIsLife,

I know what you mean about the creativity. I am a ceramic artist and as a result of AYP I am back to doing my art after a long break due to family crisis and drama. Things are evening out in most areas of my life and I was encouraged to get back to my creative work. It has uncovered some conflicting states. I get rather possessed by my perfectionism, an antithesis to the stillness of Practice. But at the same time I know that I am more psychologically healthy doing things that give me a sense of accomplishment. It seems complicated and I really don't have the answer. Hopefully, over time, the unhealthy things about my art, like wanting approval and praise from others, will fade like the other hindrances I have. I guess the Process is the Path like they say.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Jill for your reply.

It is like that. I also feel AYP is doing me good but it is also bringing to the surface things and feelings I probably didn't want to see or something like that, who knows! But still I know it is good, and like yourself I feel psychological healthier, calmer and things seem to flow a bit more.

I also feel the same with the praise from others and other stuff concerning ones art that is why, probably, it is such a drag to record my own songs because in the back of ones minds it is always the thought "will they like it?". It ruins a bit the innocence of the creative process! But I do believe you are right: The Process is the Path!

I am glad you went back to your art and that AYP helped you in accomplishing that. May you have a lot of fun and creative expression through it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000