Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Robert Ardrey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  9:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
But we were born of risen apes, not fallen angels, and the apes were armed killers besides. And so what shall we wonder at? Our murders and massacres and missiles, and our irreconcilable regiments? Or our treaties whatever they may be worth; our symphonies however they may be played; our peaceful acres, however frequently they may be converted into battlefields; our dreams however rarely they may be accomplished. The miracle of man if not how far he has sunk but how magnificently he has risen. We are known among the stars by our poems, not our corpses.

aum namaste,
Joe

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  6:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it's the glass half full concept.

I had a friend who used to say "As long as we are killing each other, we have learned NOTHING since the beginning of time. . .

I asked him if he didn't put any value on women's right to vote and get a job, on child labor laws, animal rights, abolition of slavery, freedom of religion, speech and press, etc?
He said no, and i had to vehemently disagree. I understand the importance of not killing each other, but to judge a person or a species on single issues is to be ignorant of the bigger picture and the many perspectives. Also in a way he was putting himself in a similar position to those he disagrees with; the belief that his judgement and values are better than other people's.

Edited by - Etherfish on Apr 16 2008 6:49:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  1:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Heraklitos said "war is the father of all ".The Gita was written because a war was at hand.
But now it is different : man can destroy himself with nuclear weapons. Worse : we destroy the climate and what you see ( here in Belgium) : more big 4x4 landrover-type of cars!? And the oil is allmost exhausted, famine is lurking : are we going to 21 december 2012.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000