Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Massaging the Pituitary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rabar

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  9:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Here's a pituitary massage: Hold the nostrils closed and do a series of 'tugs' (inhales) from the nasal cavity. This creates a vacuum in that area and moves the sphenoid bone behind the sphenoid sinus enough to massage the pituitary. This also gives the stomach muscles a good work-out. It is a very powerful exercise. I personally find that five 'tugs' of this sort produce a very interesting sensation. Please don't do anything painful! Forcing this could create problems.

If you would like to see an anatomical cross-section of this area, please go to

www.raysender.com/nasal%20final.jpg
and
www.raysender.com/nasal-phar...side-view.jpg

Please approach this exercise with caution.

Edited by - rabar on Aug 01 2005 12:57:32 PM

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  3:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. i kind of like it..
Go to Top of Page

rabar

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  1:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still doing five or so 'pituitary pumps' a few
times a week. Very stimulating to the midbrain area.

Anyone else?
(Please approach this exercise with caution.)
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  11:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure that's ok for your inner ears? i personally wouldn't fool with it. there are a number of yoga practices that seem unnatural, but have the advantage of being tested by many people over the centuries, so it's worth the leap. This sort of heard-in-passing stuff I'd be loathe to fool with. But of course that's a decision for everyone to make for themselves.
Go to Top of Page

rabar

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  5:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a feeling that a lot of exercises of this sort are 'whispered teachings' to
keep them from being 'mis-used' - whatever that might mean. Sort of the way
blinking is not written down anywhere as a way to break out of an lingering
thought, but now it turns out that it's practiced in Tibetan Dzogchen. Obviously
you're supposed to take refuge and find an accredited teacher, etc., before you
are privy, etc. I personally find secrecy distasteful because it's been the
weapon of the patriarchy for centuries (and still is). In contradistinction, I
feel that everything should be out on the table these days, especially exercises
that are easy to do and that have a distinct effect. Almost anything can be misused
if one does not listen to -- and respect -- one's own inner guru's messages.

Anyway, for Melissa, here's how I do the pituitary 'pump' (the inner ear doesn't seem
to get involved, at least for me):

I exhale and hold my nostrils and mouth shut.
I then begin a series of'inhale' movements, but since I've blocked all
intake areas (nostrils and mouth), a vacuum is created in the nasal passages that
basically flexes the bones surrounding the nasal cavity as well as pulling in the
diaphragm muscle below the chest.
I do not apply a great deal of pressure -- just a series of moderate tugs -- but
I do find the exercise defintely stimulates the midbrain area. Somewhere recently I read
that a nursing infant also applies a similar massage to the pituitary and help the
release of various hormonal substances (I also use a soft-palette/uvula series of
'tugs' first thing upon awakening based on observing babies nurse in their sleep).

Again, all the usual cautions apply, and do not to attempt the pituitary pump unless you're in good health. On the other hand, I frequently think of the advaita teacher Richard Roses's phrase:
"The task of the seeker of eternity is to die while living."
Or as I wrote in my journal recently, "In ecstatic yoga, we're all mining the edge of death."

Edited by - rabar on Dec 11 2005 7:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000