Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Swooshing sound
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  06:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone.

Over the past 4 weeks or so, I've consistently had a strange occurance and I would like to know if anyone else experiences this or knows what it is.

When I meditate my breathing eventually slows down to about 1-2 breaths per minutes. When this happens it becomes easier to reach a deep silence without the mind chatter. The strange part is that at this stage, and only on the exhale I hear a very distinct deep low whirling sound and it is only in the right ear. The moment that I begin to inhale the swooshing sound disappears until the next exhale. It is not distracting. It is rather pleasant.

Just wondering what this is. My meditations are full of different "astral" sounds but this is something new and complettly different.

Paul

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, I haven't had that particular experience....when my breathing slows or retreats there is usually pervading silence so dark and velvety...also a wonderful state, but I don't know it until "i" come back.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  09:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed the same sort of swooooosh sound in my ears. For me it is related to muscles around my ears that get activated during sambahvi. I can make the noise happen anytime I want, however it doesn't have the same effect when not in meditation. When it occurs during meditation, it seems to be connected to the throat opening. I find that sometimes the mantra seems to "ride along" on that sound and opens up energy spots or something along those lines in my head and beyond. Quite a nice feeling. As with everthing in AYP, if I pay attention to it--bang, it's gone! As Yogani would say, "Just easily go back to the practice."

Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It may be an energy opening as Scott suggested. It is most definitely connected with the exhale and especially if there is a pause after the exhale.

It is only in the right ear and sounds like a heavy rope slowly whipped around in a circular fashion. It is at the deepest levels when the mind is really still. It sounds like a similar state that Kathy mentions. The longer that I stay with it the louder it gets.
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  3:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok now it just got weirder...

This swooshing sound is still there in the right ear during deep meditation. But yesterday something new and extremely odd occurred. The swooshing sound came but after a while it stopped. Then a series of beeps came. Two identical beeps in the left ear and then one beep lower in pitch sounded off in the right ear. This phrase repeated a dozen or so times with exact pitch and spacing intervals. Then it stopped and the swooshing resumed.

I feel like I am being programmed by aliens or something

Am I in the Truman Show?

I am not really expecting anyone to explain this. Just reporting it for reference.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  3:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha...I've experienced these beeps too at times, and it DOES seem like you're being programmed by aliens. Hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  9:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul,

The AYP take on the whirling/whooshing sound, the beeps, or any other phenomenon that occur during meditation is that they are just scenery on the path. We just easily go back to the mantra and don't get caught up in the scenery too long. But how not to get caught up if your experiences cause you fear, or to quesiton your sanity? That's what the forums are for

I have heard sounds in my head since I started meditation three years ago. For quite a while I was afraid of the noise and didn't want to accept its presence, even to myself. Eventually I found on the Internet that this sound can be used as a vehicle to deeper states of meditative absorption. I have found this to be true. The sound changes over time, eventually turning into energy, then consciousness. But this is not AYP.

As Yogani writes in Lesson 19, "... it is you who will unfold bliss consciousness by your own efforts through devotion and application of the most comprehensive practices you can find." If you are new to yoga I'd suggest just following the lessons to the best of your ability. You will be guided on your path.

namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are getting programmed by aliens.
I heard those beeps too.
Resistance is futile.
You will be assimilated.

Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  07:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard beeps for years. Yeah they're weird. Perhaps the swooshing sound is the beginning of hearing the true Om. Om is often described to be like rushing water or a waterfall. I've read that it often begins in the right ear and in some traditions the student is instructed to only listen in the right ear, if that makes any sense. Anyway now you know it's quite common. Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an alien programmer looking for work.
The economy has really fallen off on my home world and
since the bubble popped (the hydrogen one that is, that's what we breathe)I had to leave.

My work produces some fairly nice beeps.

"Beep Bop Boop" - The Ghost of Christmas Future-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Cheers!
Mac
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000