Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Permaculture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  8:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is just a fascinating subject which I am studying right now.
I am reading a book called Gaia's Garden A Guide to Home-Scale Permacultureby Toby Hemenway.

Quite simply, permaculture is about observing natural cycles and occurances and applying them to the garden and farm in order to promote healthy growth, maturity, efficiency, stability, fertility, self-sustainable plant systems (families), and so much more.
It is about learning and creating an endless amount of connections.
Hey! Perhaps that is a great way to sum it up. Permaculture: the study and application of connections.

It is amazing, you should see what people are creating with these principles and techniques. They are creating green paradises in the middle of the desert!

Of course the ideas of permaculture are far reaching beyond horticulture.

This permaculture created kind of a bridge for me and has helped me to realize how I can use my still, my silence to observe the world and create so many different connections. The possibilities are endless.
So this will be my new experimentation this year on the farm.

This can be applied to any subject you are interested in learning.
A nice subject to ponder in relation to self-inquiry, deep meditation, samyama...

Edited by - Hunter on Jan 27 2008 8:52:03 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  8:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  5:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hunter: This permaculture created kind of a bridge for me and has helped me to realize how I can use my still, my silence to observe the world and create so many different connections. The possibilities are endless.
So this will be my new experimentation this year on the farm.

Hey, Hunter, I listed some of the principles below and agree with you one hundred percent concerning using observation for creating connections:

1. Observe and Interact. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
2. Catch and Store Energy. Make hay while the sun shines.
3. Obtain a Yield. You can’t work on an empty stomach.
4. Apply Self-regulation and Accept Feedback. The sins of the
fathers are visited on the children unto the seventh generation.
6. Use and Value Renewable Resources and Services. Let nature take its course.
7. Produce no Waste. A stitch in time saves nine. Waste not, want not.
8. Design from Patterns to Details. Can’t see the wood for the trees.
9. Integrate Rather than Segregate. Many hands make light work
10. Use Small and Slow Solutions. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Slow and steady wins the race.
11. Use and Value Diversity. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Use Edges and Value the Marginal. Don’t think you are on the right track just because it is a well-beaten path.
12. Creatively Use and Respond to Change. Vision is not serving things as they are but as they will be.

http://home.getinvolvedwa.org/premaculture.html

Sounds like sound principles to me. Thanks for the information. Btw, I watched a great program on carbon the other day and there using plant material to create carbon fibre for race cars, air planes, since it's so light and stronger than steel. This racecar driver smashed into a wall at over 200mph and walked away relatively unscathed do to magnificent energy absorption capabilities of carbon.

This explains alot concerning kundulini, since carbon is the basis of all life, as you know, the stuff we're made of and is the best conductor of energy; Anyway, I'll keep these principles in mind when practicing. Thanks again:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Feb 06 2008 6:16:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  11:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I am getting into the work of Masanobu Fukuoka who honed his skills in what he just calls natural farming. I love it.

"Through 30 years of refinement he was able to develop a "do-nothing" method of farming. Without soil cultivation such as plowing or tilling, chemical fertilizers, pesticides, weeding, pruning, machinery or compost, Fukuoka was able to produce high-quality fruit, vegetables and grains with yields equal to or greater than those of any neighboring farm."

http://fukuokafarmingol.info/

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi my friends!

I am so happy (and was very surprised!) to find here people talking about permaculture and environmental issues in general! I also love permaculture and our home the earth!

I started meditation 2 months ago but am an ecologist by education and very much concerned with the way nature is being exploited (this is the word) by human society. Indeed, a new (old?) way of relating to nature has to emerge, with more respect, caring and even common sense. Yes, because all things go in cycles and we humans have to be inteligent if we still want to have trees and birds and a decent life in the future!

I am intrigued about the relationship between our own individual lifes (I came to yoga due to very real felt imbalances in me) and the earth itself - from which we are born and are fed-, which I see as out of balance (climate change, just to give an example, is clearly for me a "symptom" of change or imbalance, in the same way as you sneeze if your immune system is out of balance. Yes, the earth is a living organism!!).

So, glad to see some connections between the two here! All is connected! I just wonder...should we not care for the earth since we are all inner silence and beyond the material? Are we to not mind the destruction of the earth? What is the role of Mother Earth (the womb of spirit) in enlightment? Your (enlightned!) views on this would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks and all the best!
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  5:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am having success with the methods of Fukuoka. It is very exciting.

YogaIsLife,
Glad to read your post on the subject. I like your questions.
I have just reached the point where I am able to learn; I have no answers here.

Are you doing any gardening right now? I am interested to learn more about your ecology work and/or studies.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  6:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hunter: I have just reached the point where I am able to learn; I have no answers here.

Wise answer though I think

It is great to know Fukuoka methods are working with you? What are you doing, the clay seed balls? Actually, if you want to continue the dialog we can continue via email (go to my profile page) as it gets a bit out of context here...

Unfortunetely I do very limiting gardening as the conditions do not permit for more. Still, at the moment, I have access to a piece of land where I have beans, peas, broad beans, cabbage, lettuce, beets, courgettes and some others but I used the local traditional methods for that (no mulching even). I am trying to make some compost as well but need to work a bit better at that as well. Still I am planning on doing a permacultural review of the place I am living now for some ideas on energy, water management, etc. Just brainstorming at the moment.

My ecology work is very specific. Currently I am working towards a phd in the ecology of lakes, studying the algae living in them and the nutrient content and where it comes from (agricultural land run-off etc.). But I am very interested in any topic related to true sustainable development. So, happy to see some enthusiasts of course!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000